Hopkins to Detroit?

Buzz in twitterverse is that the Lions have done their homework on him. Which sounds obvious … why wouldn’t you? Also, Shannon Sharpe predicts he lands in Detroit.

5 Likes

Reisman here is casting doubt: https://twitter.com/DetroitOnLion/status/1663631750998654983

3 Likes

If the price is right on a 1 year deal then…

do it party hard GIF

4 Likes

“Does not love to practice—I can’t imagine that’ll get any better. And when things don’t go well, you’re always gonna be leery, All right, what kind of drama are we gonna get from this guy? When things are great, he’s great. When things go south, his true colors show a little bit.

“But he always shows up on game day. He’s gonna have to go to a team that knows what they’re getting. You cannot expect a perfect-attendance type of worker.”

That’s a hard pass from me all the way to Allen Park.

si.com/nfl/2023/05/30/inside-deandre-hopkins-release-options-bills-chiefs

10 Likes

I’ve been a bit torn on this, but am steadily in the “do not sign him” camp at this point.

On one hand, Hopkins is obviously a very talented player. The Lions could certainly use some more juice at outside WR heading into the season, especially with Jamo’s suspension.

Having said that, I still hope the Lions do not sign him for multiple reasons…

1. Hopkins has had multiple PED suspensions and is 31 years old. (EDIT - Actually, just 1 PED suspension last year - not multiple) He was a star in the league between 2013 - 2020. His production drops off there and is fairly similar to Marvin Jones’ between 2021-now, believe it or not. Hopkins costs multiples more than Jones + we already have signed Jones.

2. He’s expensive. IMO, he’s one of those players that is extremely expensive due to what he’s accomplished in the past. I don’t think his current/future production would match that salary.

3. The Lions have a great cap situation right now. The NFL allows team to roll unused cap over to future years. Holmes needs to start paying his guys next year. I’d much rather roll the $10m-$20m Hopkins would command over to next year and use it to pay Sewell and St. Brown, for example.

I know the Lions are in win-now mode, but I don’t think their odds of winning change all that much with the addition of Hopkins. All things considered, I hope they don’t sign Hopkins. If they do, I’ll still be excited, but I think not signing him is better for the long-term window than it would be for the short.

8 Likes

Rams or Ravens for Hopkins IMO

2 Likes

Pass!

3 Likes

We’re at our turd quota.

2 Likes

Really? I knew he got busted last year. He’s had other suspensions?

I’d only be interested in a 1 year deal. Interesting though is that Holmes has signed many vets to 1 year deals the past couple seasons in free agency.

If he truly doesn’t practice hard, that’s a real issue though, doubt we’d want that.

2 Likes

Thanks for the catch. I was certain he had multiple, but it looks like I’ve got that mixed up.

Just the 1 PED suspension. Good catch and thanks, SB57.

2 Likes

Ill take him for a 1 year $15m deal. Thats it.

He wont take that because he wants 4+ year and 100+m not happening

Dude is 31 with major motivation issues

5 Likes

If he gets that much, I will shit my pants.

2 Likes

Has “Hell to the No” been brought up yet ?

2 Likes

voting stan marsh GIF by South Park

1 Like

As a recovery addict, transformation is possible in anyone who becomes willing to become a better version of themselves….

That willingness to change can be fueled with the right people around him. He ultimately can be the only one who decides he needs to change and even then makes the changes happen.

So, I will pass on judgment here and if we pick him up, our leadership and our locker room fellowship is the best he can be put in to to do just that…. Change

2 Likes

Rams don’t have the money to sign him imo, they are still bent over from the Robinson signing.

3 Likes

Ditto

It’s not that this team can’t handle the drama…but the fact of the matter is…they don’t need to.

1 Like

For sure that signing really backfired, the Rams will pay 10 mill this year for Robinson to play for the Steelers.

he had trace amounts of ostarine in his system…
which is a not even a substance that would “enhance” performance.

I’m not saying Lions should sign him….

but that “PED” suspension was BS.

7 Likes

But how’s his Twitter likes history?

That’s what really matters.

2 Likes