How big of a priority is Guard in this draft? What would you spend, who do you like?

Playing off the Vaitai thread, there’s several scenarios where Guard becomes a depth consideration. I’ve always been in the camp that offensive linemen usually take a couple years to really come into their own and reach peak condition. Jonah Jackson was one of the ultra pleasant surprises to me in that regard.

Question is simple, do you think Guard plays into the teams draft plans? If so, what range, and who do you like?

1 Like

If we keep Vatai, I like our OL group. I’m all about lining an extra OL up at TE, if that happens to be BPA, with consideration of most improving the team. 2 and 3 TE sets, with one of them being an OL?

…and another one at FB, depending on the set we are in?
Let’s get ugly out there.

1 Like

I was pounding the table for Brown in the 3rd last year. He went to Carolina in the 6th. I’d be ok with spending a 6th again, but between Vaitai and Brown, I’m not inclined to invest a mid-rounder like I was last year.

1 Like

I think we keep Vaitai next year. But even so, I think we spend a mid to late round pick on o-line depth.

1 Like

should always be looking for a OLman late Are OL is solid an Big V is doing (was till injured) his job well. I have no problem this year since they moved him to OG.
I think some on board who bashed him as a OT can’t let the negative go after they moved him. The price for him is not out of line for a starting ROG .
I would like to see Lions work out a new deal for him an I think he would like it also.
His cost in 2022 is break even an after is cap gain if his play gets bad.
I am not against adding depth. I think Brown who has filled in for Ragnow we need to keep him if we can makes a solid backup. He Brown is just 25 an has done good job. He is one you keep along with Big V. Brown is a RFA so we can keep him which starting 2022 is a plus with OL

2 Likes

I agree.

But Holmes sure does have a knack for finding UDFA’s or gems off other teams scrap-heaps.
ie. Evan Brown

2 Likes

I’m impressed w/Holmes so far too, bro. If he finds us the next Josh Allen, we will compete!

Very low priority. Day 3 pick.

The line, even the backups less one guy, have been thr best top to bottom unit we have

1 Like

I do not expect us to draft an OG.

I do however think there’s a better than average chance we move on from Big V. as this staff tries to get their guys into place.

However I think Brown gives them the freedom they need. If we can lock him up on extension prior to free agency then I expect Brown to be a starting OG and an upgrade over Big V. in 2022

My guess is we will add a low level veteran backup who can fill in both OG and C.

In my opinion Brown is the guy they need to invest in long term not Big V.

2 Likes

I think it’s hard to invest in both him and Big V long term. If I were the Lions I’d invest in Brown over Big V.

With Brown a RFA they could possibly hold off a year on deciding but they would likely be offering a 2nd grade tender to keep him… (3.3m)

Ultimately I do not see both Brown and Big V. in our long term plans.

One will likely be gone either this offseason or the next.

I say just pay Brown, move on from Big V. Sign a cheap veteran backup C/OG and look to develop a young back-up.

1 Like

This year could possibly be an outlier on UDFAs due to the optout covid year.
I think that left some players off of some draft boards and maybe there was better fruit to be picked from that group. Plus, we had an easy roster to make.
Still, it is encouraging. I think they will look for a developmental player or players for Oline and not spend much as far as draft capital.

1 Like

With everything I’m reading, he entered the league as an UDFA in 2018, has four years in after this year, and will be an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of the year.

Is there something I missed?