How does the NCAA create parity among the big programs in football?

Well if this is gonna happen, I don’t think the rankings would be from ESPN. It would be an NCAA thing otherwise that doesn’t make any sense. Basically Alabama, OSU, Clemson getting all the top prospects because they are the current power programs is basically the equivalent of the NFL not having a salary cap.

1 Like

I don’t know why I feel like the top is going to shake up a bit in the next couple of years. I don’t think Clemson lasts much longer, their recruiting can’t sustain what they’re doing right now, and losing Lawrence and Etienne was a gut punch. It’ll be Bama-OSU in the championship the next few years, but I think we see some new faces in the playoff, maybe even next year.

And one thing I don’t think some people here realize is that WHO is recruiting the kid and how many of the top schools are showing interest in the kid influences the star rating. So Tom at ESPN might watch a little of the kid and think he’s a 2 star type talent, but as soon as he hears Alabama had the kid in for a visit he gets elevated in rating. If LSU catches wind that Alabama is looking at the kid, they start looking at the kid and suddenly the kid jumps in rating again.

While I agree we will see some new faces, can you please explain your comment on Clemson and recruiting?

Kids want to win stuff, but I’m sure the top recruits have their sights set on the NFL as well. Alabama is seen as an automatic gateway to be picked and be prepared to play in the league. I think increasing the playoff teams could raise the profile of some of those schools and raise the draft profile of some of those kids. That in turn could lead to more top kids going to those schools.

I think there have been changes over the years that has spread out the 2 and 3 star type recruits all across the country. I will say that.

1 Like

They’re not keeping up with Alabama and Clemson. I can’t really tell why, but we’re seeing Bama and OSU get like 7 5 stars in every class now, and Clemson isn’t matching that. Their 2020 class will carry some weight, but 2021 was a real disappointment for them. Their highest rated player, Tristan Leigh, Clemson was like his 5th option.

They have a top 5 recruiting class again.

True, but I think our time as seeing them as the no. 2 program that owns OSU and can beat Bama every now and then is over. They’ll fall back to a might make the playoffs, might not kind of team, which for them is falling of.

Yeah, it reminds me of how the Yankees used to be.
Oh yeah, rhe Yankees are in the World Series again, how fun.

I like that idea too.

The momentum that a top program like Alabama, Clemson, OSU, or Oklahoma builds is damn near impossible to overcome. The top prospects see see so many of their players getting drafted every year. They know these schools play in the big games that give them the best chance to show what they can do. They all have elite player development.

Since discussion of parity in the NCAA almost inevitably references Michigan’s fall from royalty to also-ran, I’ll say that I can’t see them getting back to the top any time soon. The program doesn’t have anything like the draw it once did. How many of these future 1st round draft picks give a shit about winged helmets, or getting to the Rose Bowl? The current version of UM has failed miserably at developing talent.

It’s called “choosing a cheater”. Since they all cheat, they just single one out every once in awhile and send them to the bottom.

1 Like

National champion is required to have Harbaugh as their coach the next season?

I’m not…until other programs recruit better then I’m okay with seeing the same teams over and over again.

I get sick of nfl
Using ncaa as de facto minor league that teaches its future players
Gimmicks and techniques that aren’t applicable to the nfl game
Creating a guesswork lottery type system of hiring that spends more money than a small minor league would cost …

Why would the rich want to change a system of rich gets richer? (Note, this can be applied to all walks of life, not just college football)

In this case the rich bring back riches for the other schools. So their goal isn’t to pull a super power back. The B1G makes good money off of Ohio State for instance. Why would they vote to stop the money train?

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

So, in a Covid year where everyone is home and record lows are watching it. That would be an eye-opener to me if I was the NCAA that they’ve created a bad product and needs some retooling.

It has nothing to do with Michigan, Harbaugh’s recruiting classes have been better than his record.

Do you remember when USC was a powerhouse? Washington, Miami, Wisconsin, etc.
Ah yes, the good ole days.

I wonder if the extra football in the NFL playoffs the weekend leading up to the game played any part in some people not tuning in or cutting their time watching short.

Start by expanding the playoffs. Having a selection committee pick 4 teams is not ideal. Everyone knows who at lest 3 of them will be. Expand the playoffs and allow for a cinderella team to have a shot.