How is this possible with a horrible QB?

I would keep Vatai. I would offer a 2 year contract. Remember that he was a T inn Baltimore. Skipper is a back-up that can play T or G on both sides. He’s worth keeping but not as a starter.

1 Like

Evan Brown as been serviceable in the guard role.

Ive noticed that our Runblocking has been phenomanal, pass block still needs some work/regression to it

Prolly should take O-linemen in the 3rd day (This draft is sadly not a big O-line one)

1 Like

Brown and Skipper have done a very good job. Don’t get me wrong. I’m grateful for them and the effort they put out.
Still, not the same as having the whole starting Oline.

2 Likes

Vaitai is the Swift of the OLine. He’s great when available. But just can’t stay healthy.

2 Likes

“Great?” Not really. More like decent. I sure with Stenberg could freaking pass block, but he must suck really bad at it to be so buried on the OG depth chart. As I recall the one game he started, his run blocking was really good. Oh well, totally fine with investing in a great RG next year. Vaitai ain’t it.

1 Like

Were technically like 11th in passing offense, the relevant stat. PFF has Goff at 33/39 QBs. He is 13th in QBR on ESPN. I don’t see many here saying Goff is “terrible”. I think some, including myself, would like an upgrade if one is available for the $30 mill a year were paying Goff. I would say the same thing about Cousins or Jimmy G if I were a Vikings or 49ers fan. 49ers probably screwed the pooch when they drafted Lance though. Too early to say.

4 Likes

Vaitai was usually graded very high rated as a OG. As a T…middle of the road.

4 Likes

Some folks think its easy to replace/upgrade from the 13th rated QB.
Those people usually get #30 as their replacement.
Ask the 49ers, Cardinals, Jets, Panthers, Giants, Browns, Saints, Chicago, Denver…how easy it is.

5 Likes

That is why good GMs and scouts make the big bucks. That right there is how some teams are bottom dwellers and others rise. One chooses Baker Mayfield. The other chooses Josh Allen.

2 Likes

I don’t mind the Lions moving on from Goff. But I’d like to see it done smart and well planned. Not reach for a project QB with a high pick. Can anyone still believe some National pundits expected us to draft Malik Willis over Hutch?

Levis and Stroud are projects. Young is tiny. Who in FA is a better option next year that would save cap?

3 Likes

We’ve had good QB’s for 14 years, now. Many have forgotten how easy it was to replace Munson.
Many have no idea who Munson is, or the relevance of the statement.

3 Likes

Goff is playing well enough that I could foresee a Jimmy G/ T Lance scenario where the young QB sits a year. It might disappoint some, but its all about the final result in the end.

2 Likes

Would be interesting to data mine to find out how many “top tier” draft picks (1st round perhaps 2nd) it takes to actually get a top 10 NFL QB. My guess, a lot.

2 Likes

I’d be all about taking a QB project in the middle rounds. I think SF regrets giving up draft capital to trade up for Lance. Imagine the 9ers with Parsons. Give them their rings now

2 Likes

If we have learned anything from that scenario, it should be use your 1st round picks on studs that are going to have an impact early and often like Sewell and Hutch, and avoid trading multiple 1st rounders to trade up to draft developmental QB’s from D2 schools. Learn from the Packers horrible move to trade up for Love as well.

Exactly! Anyone but Lance. They could have added Chase, or Sewell or Parsons!

2 Likes

You don’t have to go through all of that.
Between 1988 and 2009, our own Lions drafted 4 QB’s in the top 10. Guess how many won a Super Bowl? Guess how many won a playoff game?
Guess how many won a division title?
Not even our #1oa, who many said sucked.

2 Likes

Munson was good, Landry was better.
Landry was one of the first QB’s that I can remember who thrived on designed runs. They were usually right up the gut. Loved that play.

3 Likes

Bad teams avoid drafting QBs because it’s too scary and the guy we have isn’t that bad. That’s what makes the SOL Lions the SOL Lions. You can draft Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Calvin Johnson, Eric Ebron, and Hockenson like the Lions have, because you’re too chicken to draft a QB. And you might even hit on a hall of famer in there. But all you have is a hall of fame WR. Which amounts to a big bag of nothing.

They had just taken Harrington #3oa!

They drafted Stafford #1oa…and, you forgot Pettigrew.

1 Like

It was stupid drafting all of those WRs. Neither of those 2 QBs were great prospects either. Stafford was drafted for his arm and I still don’t exactly know why Harrington was drafted. It remains a mystery.

1 Like