How is this possible with a horrible QB?

Agreed!!!

If he gets 30 million from someone let him walk and get the comp picks. That means we really need to draft a developmental guy mid round this year or next year though

1 Like

Penix Envy.

1 Like

When we traded for Goff, he had $104M over 4yrs left on his contract ($26M APY). Because Holmes had to try to cope with Quinn’s gross abuse of the salary cap, we had to borrow $15M from Goff (a simple restructure of $20M of Goff’s 2021 base salary) just to field the crappy team that we put out there in 2021. That’s why his cap hits are $31M instead of $26M. So we really are paying Goff $26M, not $30M.

Goff signed a $33.5M contract in 2017 . . . he will get a top 10 contract when he signs. If he were to sign an extension with the Lions next year, I’d bet he’d get $40M per year in new money.

4 Likes

That’s what she said.

2 Likes

Corrected for maximum effect!

1 Like

Lol there is very little Goff hating at the moment on this board. In fact, he’s getting a heck of a lot of credit for our success right now. You are just looking for it at all times that anything that isn’t full support you jump on.

3 Likes

He will never be worth top 10 money. Stafford isn’t even worth top 10 money.

Mahomes
Allen
Burrow

That’s the leagues difference makers right now. Nobody else is worth 30+ million a year…and certainly not Goff.

2 Likes

Correct…and if we pay that, we are moronic.

1 Like

Mahomes, Allen, aren’t they getting like 45m per year now? If so, 30m per, isn’t outrageous for borderline top 10 QB IMO

2 Likes

In terms of comparing that money to those guys, sure it isn’t bad. But then again the QB pay scale is ridiculous and teams shouldn’t play into it. 30m allocated to one player who isn’t exceptional is a huge hindrance to a teams ability to field a good team.

Other teams have shown the way of what not to do. We don’t need to fall into the same trap everyone else does, just because the market says it’s “fair”

1 Like

Would you sign geno smith to a 30m+ annual contract?

JD makes a good point in watching the overall cap percentage to one player. I have a problem with any one player taking 15 or more percent of the cap. At least until they have earned it for that team. If he wins a SB. pay the man…

2 Likes

Not for the next few years… I happen to think Holmes has us set at QB.

1 Like

No I meant if you were the Seahawks.

Hmmm, interesting question… without looking at Smith’s current contract, maybe… if he’s due for a contract, Smith has done what they’ve asked him to do, he’s done it pretty well… I have only watched one game of them this season… but I know he doing pretty well

1 Like

Geno is ranked 6th in power rankings compared to Goff’s 16. Even in the game against us he was playing lights out. I think no one was used to/expecting geno to ball out so we blamed our defense but he’s balling.

Interesting what the Seahawks do with him considering what QBS, like Goff, are being paid.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. Goff is a good enough QB that he is worth top 10 money.

2 Likes

He’s not…but the market says he is. It also says Carr, Cousins, Dak, Russ, are worth theirs. The market is ****ed

2 Likes

Sooo, let’s get this straight. The Lions have a top ranked offense because they were behind to the Eagles “at one point” 31-14…THAT’S WHAT YOU ARE HANGING YOUR HAT ON?

IDIOTRY.

2 Likes