How many at the game last night?

With 18k at the scrimmage, I’d think there was a good turnout last night.

Curious if anyone heard the attendance.

Also curious if last night hurt a lot of people’s confidence in the team.

They showed last year that the lions get better as the season went on, They looked far from dominant defensively in what I predict to be a pretty bad Atlanta team.

About 40k I think. These guys are going to be fun to watch this year. I don’t think yesterday did anything to impact that opinion. 1st team offense looked sharp, and at least Hutchinson looked exciting on defense.

3 Likes

That is a lot of people for a preseason game. Nice!

1 Like

Was so happy to be in attendance last night! Being a Lions fan while being born and raised in North Carolina(My grandma was from Flint and made me one haha) and being surrounded by Panthers fans it was good to be among my own as it were lol. Saved up money for awhile to go last night and will be back in November for a regular season game also!

I am a teacher also so always in need of some kind of break haha!

3 Likes

I’m planning on going to my first game at Ford Field. It is a bit embarrassing I haven’t been to a game. But I live in Lansing now and I’m looking forward to going to at least one this year.

I’m thinking the Dolphins game might be fun to see.

1 Like

I will say this. Firstly, going to most professional sporting events is a good experience. Secondly, unless you’re in the middle of 15 stupidly drunk people, taking in an NFL game live - there’s nothing like it. The atmosphere, the views, the people, the crowd.

We are all guilty of “preferring the view” sitting at home. Much cheaper and we all have big TVs. But there is something about being there. I’ll probably never be able to put my finger on it other than “just go to one, you’ll get it”.

Part of the quirk to preseason is it comes down to mindset and what each team is trying to accomplish. I cashed in on bets this week simply by playing to the coaching staffs and tendencies of who might take the game with more of a winning mindset than the other. For instance we got beat partially because of QBs scrambling around and taking off running. That makes perfect sense for a “bad” team with a new coaching staff, because those teams tend to want to try to win the game. Many of the good teams with established staffs would tell their QBs not to do that. Part of it being injury related. But another part is they would want the ball put in the air to evaluate receivers ability to win contested balls.

Bad teams may use misdirection on the offense, which is obviously not gameplanned for. A better team might purposely avoid misdirection because they want to evaluate their players taking guys straight up. Another thing I’ve noticed is something as basic as rub routes. Its a staple in offenses around the league, and used alot in key situations where a team needs to make a play to score or keep the drive going. I’ve noticed bad teams or new staffs might pull out some rub routes in preseason. Better teams might avoid them because they know they can get that first down or score with the rub route. So they put their WR in a 1 on 1 situation to see how he handles it, rather than giving him the advantage of the rub route. And some good teams might even see the benefit of NOT getting the first down or score because it helps them evalute the defense or special teams if the play fails.

The Falcons opened the game with misdirection and their QBs ran the ball close to 10 times. That helps to understand the mindset they went into the game with. As a side note Jamal Williams looked leaner at camp and he appeared to be a little more explosive than last preseason. Last year it looked like he was running in mud and had alot of us concerned.

1 Like

Going to the game is a different experience than watching it on TV. Heck, even if you watch a game in a sports bar with fans of the team its a different experience than watching it at home. If someone were to ask me what its like to attend a game vs watchig it on TV…I’d have to say that its kind of like being on a movie set vs just watching the movie. You get to see stuff you would otherwise not see on TV, like the actors interacting with people when they are off to the side and not shooting the scene.

1 Like

This thread got derailed so I’m going to close it.

If the OP @BearlyThere wants to repost a new thread it would be allowed but unfortunately this one needs to be closed.

1 Like