How many "starters" do we need?

I agree but only if they get value . He is signed an he will not sit out . Fans want to forget his age he is 29 an will turn 30 next January. I doubt he will sit out a year an besides lose the money lose a year or playing time.

But fans can think what they want. If they keep hi he will play hard he wants to be known as big play Slay His ego will make him play hard maybe not 100% but he will play OK likely like this past year.

All what signs? The Lions are listening to offers, best thing for them and Slay. Once they’re on the table you let Slay know EXACTLY what he’s worth, no guessing. You know what happens if he sits? He gets older. You know what happens when he gets older? Yep, his contract terms change in a hurry. Pay him OR get adequate compensation and if it isn’t at least a 2nd there’s no point in moving him. Face it, we have to overpay no matter what until this team is in a position to be in the playoffs. If he moves in my scenario we took Okudah but we would still need another CB.

Do you think they were worried about getting market value for Diggs? They shipped him out as soon as they could because of his voice in the locker room. Slay is very similar in personality to Diggs.

I think some of you are underestimating MP and BQ’s pattern of shipping out players who don’t buy in, even if it’s for less than market value.

All players who sit out get a year older, it hasn’t stopped them in the past. I really think Slay would do it. He seems like a hard-headed dude.

Pattern? 1 guy? C’mon man…

Diggs, Snacks, probably A’Shawn, probably Slay, the ‘even at less than market value’ was a caveat.

Sorry, I had to fix this post like 3 times. lol

MP has shown that he has trouble managing voices of dissent. I expect Slay to be gone.

OK I’m not going to get into the Diggs thing, his production was down and his mouth was up, he had to go. Snacks? What about him? Robinson, what about him? Do you have any links to “voices of dissent” that include these guys? Slay is in a contract dispute, it gets messy on any team.

On his way out Snacks thanked everyone all the way down to the security guards, but never mentioned MP or BQ. He might not have come out and stated it, but the proof is in the pudding. Not to mention that he said he was going to retire, collected his money, and then came right back out and said he wants to play again.

I read this article not too long ago mentioning A’shawn’s ‘attitude’ and his negative emotions. Sounds exactly like the type of guy MP can’t manage, and why I expect them to let him walk even with the departure of Snacks.

I’m assuming so, yes. He’s under contract so he’s my starter.

I’m glad you guys have more confidence than me, because I have none. I guess it makes me feel a bit better that others think Slay might be back. I highly doubt it though.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I didn’t catch it. I stand corrected.

I expect GB to be reaching out to him this offseason.

I don’t think A’Shawn has an attitude problem. He’s a bit curmudgeonly, but I don’t think it’s an issue with the locker room or coaches. He does have a unique hate for the media, though. I like that part about him myself. Ultimately I think his play is what will lead to a pretty low offer. He’s been healthy for a big man, but he’s on the turf an awful lot and not as good against a double-team as most people think.

1 Like

When I read articles like this, which includes comments from Slay, I don’t know why anyone would expect him back this year. He’s talking like he’s already gone. He said he was almost traded at the deadline last year.

Can I just say that I love that you used the word curmudgeonly? :grin:

1 Like

Just don’t let your dislike of MP or Quinn to mess up your opinions on players.

I am not impressed with staff so far either but refuse to put all blame on players , staff until it shows all the time.

This is MP an Quinns year to show IMO . I like to give a Head Coach couple years to get things way he wants. First year as HC is to just get feel of all the carp besides coaching he has to do .

Second year he has control of all the BS stuff, an now his the staff he wants an players have idea what he expects. He like MP weeds out players who maybe don’t by into his way , that doesn’t make player wrong or Head Coach .

So now its year 3 an his system is in place an he should have only players who have bought in. Now his system both on field an in offices should move smooth.

Fans need to remember he was never HC before , an with that job comes all the BS crap that takes his time the first year.

I think he will do very well this season he has staff he wants, an vet players he inherited that he has kept. Year three is when I expect results.

1 Like

I really don’t have anything I can disagree with in your post. Solid take.

Do you think Slay has bought in? Sure, he always plays his ass off, but he strikes me as a guy who doesn’t buy into the system. Won’t he be gone if that’s the case, even if they can’t get what they want?

I may have been ignoring A’Shawn’s play as a reason why he probably won’t be back during my rant. Thanks for giving me a reality check.

This team has just been pissing me off so much lately, I get all abrasive and lash out at posters who really don’t deserve it. I apologize to anyone I offended in this thread.

Fans are not saying he will not be traded , what they are saying is get good value for hi.

I said before he doesn’t hold cards IMO Lions can keep him an sure he can sit out but would he I doubt it.

He is signed Lions don’t have to trade him that is a fact. I could see him sitting out if he was 2 or 3 years younger. He will be 30 years old come January 2021 He will have lost over 10 million sitting an a year . Lions hold the cards this season. They have been up front with him an admit they are trying to trade him.

1 Like

According to OTC, Slay’s base salary is $10 mil for 2020, the last year of his contract. But, he also gets a $250,000 roster bonus PER GAME in 2020, so that’s another $4 mil as long as he’s on the roster. Which I assume includes the IR. So, if he sits out, isn’t he losing $14 mil in total? He ain’t got any guaranteed money coming in and he ain’t getting any younger. I’m not seeing a guy giving up that much money for a chance at an extra one million, cuz I doubt he’s going to exceed $15 mil/yr on a new contract.

Maybe you guys are right.

Slay could always pretend to be hurt too if the lions don’t extend or trade him. That’s always an option for players in situations like this as well.