How much of it was Dre Bly?

What Bly has you can’t teach: instincts.

All coaches can teach are fundamentals and keys and communicate and help with adjustments.

Whether Bly or Pleasant. These guys lack fundamentals because their talent is lacking. None of our CBs have the size, speed combination to just lock in on fundamentals. They have to be savvy, they have to bait and set traps. And they did. But when the ball is in the air, or they get caught cheating. By that, I mean peeking at the QB or focusing on their hands rather than their feet: They don’t have the TALENT to capitalize.

The Lions need better talent back there.

4 Likes

Sutton was coming off two straight years of plus CB play.

Well it is a bit shitty to just jump to a conclusion about someone or something when there’s nothing solid to go on. I’d hate for Bly’s reputation with the fans to suffer unjustifiably.

2 Likes

“Shitty?” I posed a question. You know what I find “shitty”? Someone being called out as being “shitty” for merely posing a question as to how much of a positional groups underwhelming performance might have had to do with the positional coach working with them.

Now THAT, THAT is “shitty” behavior.

2 Likes

You don’t let go as an alumni from your school. If you’re one of the top three recruiting coaches on staff and a good coach.

I don’t blame last season on him due to the lack of talent in his position room. However once the talent room is up to par, I will.

1 Like

You can only play with what you’ve been dealt.

2 Likes

Apologies. Didn’t mean it to be directed at or insulting to you personally, more of a general observation that making judgements on individual performance when we don’t know the whole story is unfair. I should have just left it with my original post and not replied again.

1 Like

Apology accepted. My intent was to gauge where the board’s opinion was on the matter not to besmirch Bly’s coaching reputation.

1 Like

This is an odd topic.

Weren’t we just one half a game away from the Superbowl with a CB that was plucked off a practice squad 2 months ago?
And so am I understanding this correctly…we think that Bly coached-down Sutton?

And Bly isn’t a good teacher and the UNC alumni don’t like Bly but Dan and AG do?!?!

This is a good example of people wanting chicken salad out of chicken shit. How about we give Bly some decent CB’s and a little bit of pass rush.

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills

1 Like

Is Bly even being retained?

1 Like

He also had guys that could pressure. TJ Watt, Highsmith got to the QB.

1 Like

Bly was one of my favorite players (My tag was Blyfan). But I can admit, he wasn’t the most fundamentally sound player. He had very good instincts and hands. He was either in position to intercept or he was 1-2yds behind his man. I don’t know what he was coaching those talented UNC CBs to do. But they played alot like he did. Plus, UNC’s Defense, as a whole, was trash. Bly brought in legit D1 talent. But, none of the other coaches really did. Maybe that’s why he and other guys were let go.

Well maybe not. They are keeping it hush hush but the whispers are they are not happy w how little the secondary progressed. They pride themselves on coaching up the talent and this year no one really improved on the DL or the secondary with the exception of IFFY (and AG took personal focus and time w him apparently). Now we have hired two coaches for those position groups and they are known for being amazing teachers and several players have had career years under their tutelege.

3 Likes

When asked for comment, Bly informed us it was all Joey Harrington’s fault

5 Likes

Haha well played sir. Well played. :joy:

1 Like

I’m not sure how you can blame Bly, we had a $11M #2 CB in Sutton, a rookie Nickel that the coaches got ready to play this year . . . and a bunch of min salary guys/UDFA’s. Let’s see what he can do if the GM gives him some talent to work with.

3 Likes

And Sutton is a #2, at best.

1 Like

I’m by no means placing sole blame on him. But I think it’s a reasonable thought that given his coaching history, the lack of improvement, that a guy like Jacobs had fared better and this move for Townsend that he may have been part of the issue.

Clearly there was a talent deficiency. I was on a CB first island (or close to it) prior to the deadline when everyone wanted pass rushers.

But I also remember at the time of the hire that there was considerable skepticism about the move based off of how his work at UNC was perceived.

Is he coming back? According to Meinke Townsend is the CB coach in addition to being the passing game coordinator.

2 Likes

A the end of the day, the proof is in their actions. The outside CBs severely underperformed and were the weakest spot on this team. Bly was coaching that group. The talent in that room was subpar, especially after Moseley’s injury. The guy we paid in FA (Sutton) significantly underperformed compared to previous season.

Then, after all that, we hire a former player who played CB and gave him the title of defensive pass game coordinator and CB coach.

I have no idea what this coaching staff thinks of Bly and whether or not he will have a role on this staff moving forward, but reading the tea leaves suggest that they were not particularly happy with the year 1 results.

1 Like

It is a bit eye opening how often we cycle through corner coaches.

AG was a corner after all. Just feels like these guys aren’t on the same page in regards to technique and scheme.

1 Like