How quickly can we turn this around?

I think it all comes down to whether a team thinks they are a QB away from making a run, or if the current staff wants to push for a QB to save their jobs. Alex Smith was traded going into his 14th year at 34 years old.

I could definitely see the Colts making a pretty good offer for him.

2 Likes

2021 is a mess. It could be a purposeful mess, or a struggle through it mess, but its going to be ugly.

Maybe not as ugly as 3-12-1, but this year will look like 2014.

2022 is where its at.

1 Like

Yeah but according to some , he’s great and already going to the hall of fame. That’s why people don’t listen to the ones complaining about Stafford they judge Stafford on one scale and guys like Tau and murray on another.

Its always funny to see the different scales some people use to judge teams and players.

1 Like

NO, Wash, Hou, TB, IND, SEA and NE were all considered terrible franchises while organizations like Oak were considered dynasties at one time.

The Lions were the team to beat in the 50’s.

Time does change perspectives in professional sports.

To answer the OP - If we keep Stafford than I would say 2 years.

This year, due to Covid, a ton of talent will possibly be hitting free agency too. A properly managed team could take advantage of that.

1 Like

If you root for one of those franchises, feel free to wake up and think “this could be our year!” Some years you will be disappointed, and others you might be surprised with some goodies in January and possibly even February. That is not the Lions, just like its not Vanderbilt. Someone may come in here some day and build the program. But the idea that every dog has its day and we are just going to wake up one year and go on a run is beating your head against the wall. The law of averages does not apply to us. We have an inferior program.

Very long but it depends. We need draft picks! If the new GM comes here with a short sited 2 year plan, he’ll be sadly mistaken and he probably will be fired within 4 years. Long term will give your self a chance. I would start by selling off players that don’t align with your timeline of winning; otherwise, you be suck in mediocrity

I disagree here. If we hired the right guys, they will be able to make major strides within the first 2-3 years. Playing the “long game” making all of your moves for 4-5 years later is fools gold in the NFL. That kind of stuff can work in the NBA and definitely the MLB, but in the NFL the shelf life of the players is too short.

1 Like

This franchise can turn it around in 1 year, just like any other franchise in the NFL. You just need to make the right hire. All of the prior talk about it taking years for BQ to change the culture was utter garbage. You just need 1 year if you make the right hire and have the pieces the Lions do.

This is coming from a pessimist.

1 Like

And Detroit was one of the country’s most dynamic cities :man_shrugging:

The average length of career for NFL players is 3.3 years.

I’m just saying, does it feel like the Cards on on their way up or their way down?..now, what about the Lions, they trending up or down? LOL

1 Like

The Cards are on their way up because they made a terrible hire, fired that guy, and the new guy only did marginally better than the previous guys record. But I guess we will be on the upswing now too, since we also made a terrible hire and that guy chit the bed.

1 Like

So, Kyler Murray has nothing to do with the Cards trending upward?

Who said that? It sounds like you are trying to have an argument no else is making.

I’m just saying that you gave all the credit to the head coach, I wasvmerely asking a question.

But has he won any meaningful games ?

That can change. And not necessarily by selling the team to a new owner either. It is entirely possible that Sheila will hire the right people to get the job done; might take longer than a couple of years, but it can be done. Will it? TBD. But I don’t think past performance is a reasonable metric to predict future actions when somebody new is in charge.

1 Like

Three years. The defense needs a lot of work. Probably a 75% changeout.

It will take longer if Stafford is retained. Because he’s getting more injury-prone, and those injuries will get more and more serious, and take longer to recover from. So you’re two years into your rebuild and your QB is missing half the season? You’re delaying the inevitable by not getting your QB of the future while you have a relatively high first-round pick.

Absolutely egregious that Quinn didn’t get this in the golden opportunity he had this past draft. Because what will be available to the Lions in this one probably isn’t as good as Herbert and Tua.

2 Likes

If we can fundamentally draft well, and not make any dumb fundamental positional mistakes like a TE and CB in the top 10, and Tavai at 43 over Metcalf, I think 2 years is reasonable.

1 Like