How Would Chase Young Fit in This Defense

3 Likes

Disagree. JD CANNOT cover and neither can Kennard in anything but floating into a quick zone drop. The JACK position in this scheme is not meant to cover backs down the field like a WILL does. The JACK is the defacto LDE and lives on the LOS not in “multiple roles.” He covers the right flat and attacks the QB mostly or like I said a quick zone drop. JD can absolutely do this IMHO and is a more sudden player than Kennard is. JD won’t be super stout against the run, but let’s face it, neither is Kennard. Point is, JD cannot handle the run inside, cannot shed blocks and is an absolute liability “off the ball” in coverage. So it’s either dump him for peanuts, or find something he can do. Over the past 2 seasons he’s had 8 sacks and 14 TFL’s in a very limited blitzing role. So I’d compare that to him in coverage and it’s a can do and can’t do situation. He can stop the run, but not if he has to take on 320lb OG’s to do it.

1 Like

I’m like that too. Unfortunately, our HC isn’t that guy and he determines what the defense looks like. He’s very stubborn, and has what appears to me as significant blind spots. I know I keep going back to one play, but it is indeed a microcosm IMHO. 3rd and 26 and you use Tavai as your only LB who has to cover the back deep down the field on a pass route. When you have both JRM and Killebrew up and active. I know niether of these dudes are saviors, but they sure as hell have a better chance on 3rd and 26 than a 250 downhill thumper does. I couldn’t believe it, yet there it was and it wasn’t the only example.

Brodie, Davis is blitzing when able to shoot a gap unblocked. I agree with what you’re saying Kennard’s role is. What I think you’re selling Kennard short on and giving too much hope for Davis on is the ability to block the OT with leverage, sealing the edge and driving him backward. Davis doesn’t have that type of strength.

That’s the bottom line. Davis is a wasted pick. He’s a liability but we don’t have enough talent to swap him out yet.

1 Like

This is likely the sad reality

I couldn’t agree more.

I remember Iggy calling this one in his rookie year and getting ridiculed for it. He was absolutely right about Davis.

I agree Kennard is stronger at the point of attack. I don’t know if he’s the better JACK overall. I think JD is more athletic and more explosive. As far as getting to the QB from the JACK position and taking down RB’s in the flat, I think he “could” be an improvement.

Translating most of what’s been written above, you guys are not concerned that Young may not fit what we do?
Or is already on the roster w Flowers
Some early reading seemed to hint at that Young may be not be a scheme fit
More 4-3 than 3-4
I don’t really understand the details … but there is some concern about fit no?

No.

We don’t allow the rushers to get up field in our defensive scheme. He would be a giant wasted pick. Slay will be gone soon and our LB core is weak. Id say DB or LB based on need.

Well when you complain about every player than your going to be right on some of them … lol

I’m not. I think he fits as a true DE. He’s a plug and play guy for the Okwara role. He’s a difference maker and he will bring a pass rush ability that our defense is greatly lacking. I also think he will limit Kennards snaps some. I do not expect to see him lined up off ball or dropping into coverage. If he’s available at 3 I think it’s a no brainer.

One thing folks seem to be completely overlooking is an Anthony Barr (for lack of a better comparison, maybe somebody else can think of one) type role that Young could play.

Not saying that would be his primary usage, not at all. But Young could play OLB as well as Edge. This could be reserved for red zone defense, especially inside the 10 vs. quick two-step drop throws. Having Young who can cover a fade almost as fast as a DB and cover TEs and big WRs could be a wrinkle that Chase can bring.

He has the athleticism to play there but he didn’t play off ball at OSU very often so he has limited experience there. Personally I think he’s plug and play for Okwara’s spot and he will reduce the snaps that Kennard takes.

If I were a betting man I’d bet he plays up on the LOS in the DE rotation. Basically taking snaps at either DE position. Okwara would be negated to mainly run downs only.

Agree for the most part, but I think if you draft Chase Young you mold your D to make the most of his ability. I swear the dude could erase like 1/4 of the end zone on say 3 and goal from the 7. Just another wrinkle he could bring.

That’s just it. We don’t have to mold our defense. He’s plug and play for Okwara’s role.

I think with the rise of the TE/H-back in today’s NFL, I think Young could do more than draw a double team down low in the red zone. I dunno, maybe I’m dreaming. But I think you try and use a guy like Chase in multiple ways. Obviously depends entirely on matchups.

I have a sinking feeling that after the combine, he’s not going to last to 3 anyway. Not getting my hopes up.

1 Like

By multiple ways do you mean off ball? If so I emphatically disagree. You’d be putting his best skills at a disadvantage. There’s a reason OSU didn’t do it.

Young is a beast up on the LOS where he uses his hands and athleticism to win matchups. You can plug him into the DE rotation and he will win his matchups, draw double teams and open things up for everyone else. I would expect the Lions to move him around from RDE to LDE and occasionally at DT like they do Okwara and Flowers. But I highly doubt he lines up off ball or drops into coverage much. Maybe once in a blue moon situation but that would be about it.

Just my two cents.

1 Like