How'd we get Coach Dan?

Guys -

I live in California, so I’m not as connected to all things Lions like you all are. So I wonder, how did we get Dan Campbell to be our HC? I’ve honestly lost track with the timing of the departures and hires of our HC and GM. Did Holmes hire DC?

And for that matter, how did we get our GM?

Thank you.

We pulled him off the cross.

15 Likes

We cloned Chris Spielman but scraped off all the estrogen.

9 Likes

We interviewed him, offered him a job and he accepted the job. Honestly, that’s it. Someone said give him an interview, who knows who.

Remember he used to play for the Lions.

3 Likes

I think Dan Campbell may have been the only candidate who didn’t just want to be a head coach, but wanted to be the head coach of the Lions.

7 Likes

1-800-542-5277

We tried to get some Campbell guy from college who you can’t even feel comfortable betting $100 on in his college games. We failed getting that guy so we just settled on the next Campbell, who was far inferior.

Sarcasm

2 Likes

+

+

----->

I
I
I
v

12 Likes

Lol GIF

First reply, and the thread was done.

1 Like

LOL - niiiice

LOL

Keep 'em coming, man!
We made a hybrid of Stone Cold Steve Austin and Thunder Lips!

3 Likes

I’d love to have been a fly on the wall for Dan’s interview.

It was seen as a left field appointment at the time and before his initial press conference a lot of people seemed indifferent or disappointed with it.
I think the guy is a fantastic leader and encapsulates everything you want the lions to be

4 Likes

Listening to Dan’s version of the story, he was able to read and understand everyone in the interview from the Lions side except for Rod Wood. He said Rod has an unreadable poker face and can hold it the entire time. That’s coming from Dan who says his superpower is reading people and their energy, and has proved it so far.

4 Likes

Rod’s mom was a jackal.

3 Likes

I think Rod was unreadable, because when it comes to football, there isn’t much to read. I’m sure he is just fine as a businessman.

I was rooting for Saleh and Ed Dobbs.

I think MCDC reached out to us about the job and not vice versa.

I dont even recall him being mentioned in the coaching cycle for any other team.

Off top of my head potential coaches this year were

Robert Saleh
Arthur Smith
Eric Bienemy
Marvin Lewis
Matt Rhule
Lincoln Riley
Urban Meyer

I’m sure I’m missing some others, but I swear MCDC was just a dark horse associated with us.

2 Likes

You can’t read energy man…that’s just hoodoo-voodoo, bubble gum, popcorn shrimp stuff. …C’mon, man!

2 Likes

It is when you do it through a TV screen :grinning:

LOL - Love it.
How about phone and/or Zoom calls?
My entire life is a fraud!!!

I still can’t believe this
Iowa State’s Matt Campbell turned down big offer to coach Detroit Lions (freep.com)

Although, I’m pretty sure Birkett or someone said that this never happened.

2 Likes