I don't think Branch will be the pick

I’d like to see Jeff used like he was in Dallas. Almost like thei third LBer in some ways. Though I’m not for picking up his fifth year so we’d need an understudy. I was thinking someone like Jamie Robinson just bc he’s available so much later. I don’t think he’s at Branch’s level but he could fill that role serviceably IMO.

2 Likes

We still don’t have an official time. He hasn’t finished it yet.

A 4.48 hand time is at least a 4.55 electronic timed 40. We shall see what he runs. He doesnt look fast on film. Great instincts to make up for that yes… but his speed doesnt look good. Multiple scouts have said as much.

I like Witherspoon. I just hear people on this board say Okudah is too slow to be a cb.

Combine results

Yea, before he scrambled his eggs, dude was all over the field that game

I agree that Branch is both a good player and a good fit for us. I just don’t think Brad will take him based on his tendencies. In LA they basically never drafted safety early. Kerby is the earliest one he’s ever taken and he was almost a 4th rounder.

I love the kids instincts and tackling but I have a little PTSD from drafting slow SBs

If his mom shows up wearing a “Press play. Watch the tape” TShirt, run away

Then you should feel the same about Witherspoon. Okudah is faster and can jump higher than both (i assume you meant slow DBs)

1 Like

The sample size is only 2 years but as of now thats2 is right. The pick would go against the trends we seen so far from Holmes.

2 Likes

Can do. Here’s what PFF has for SMB

Branch will play more in the slot than a true S in the NFL he is a beast covering screens and crossing routes plus he plays the run like a small LB.I don’t care what he ran just like Dan says game tape is where the proof is not the Pajama Olympics.

2 Likes

The new NFL is 4-2 or 3-3 with the 4 DBs and then that extra guy.

Is he another rusher? linebacker? Cover guy? Safety?

They are trying to find the dude that can do it all.

I was thinking Isiah Simmons, Kyle Hamilton.

Could very well be Brian Executive Branch

His strength has always been run defense. He’s just below adequate as an outside cover corner. Whether he’s a slot, outside LB, QB spy or box safety, that’s where his snaps need to be.
Wasn’t the egg scramble friendly fire? If he can avoid that, I think we have enough guys who can be the 3rd DB/off LB.

I would love to know the weighting factors for RAS scores. Note that Minkah was 204 lbs and received a 9.38 for his weight while Branch is 190 lbs and received a 2.04. Kinda crazy, no?

One thing I learned about RAS recently is that they are always calculated based on people who have tested at that position up to that point in time. So the baseline always changes over time.

Not always. He was really quite good in coverage to start the year. iMO it’s mostly mental with him. Thinks too much and is too self-critical. Unfortunately the mental stuff can be the hardest aspect to fix.

1 Like

I brought this up in another thread, (I think we were discussing Henley) and I think @Thats2 pointed out that there aren’t alot of examples in the NFL of success at this position. Isaiah Simmons has just been OK. Plus, I think our team has a few of these guys (JO, Iffy, Jacobs, I would even argue Tracy Walker) who fit here. I don’t think we go Branch, partly because of lower value a that position, partly because we have guys who can do this, and partly because it doesn’t have to be just one player who fits in the role.

1 Like

Well, yeah he’s very inconsistent. Maybe Bly can fix Okudah. If he can turn it around and evenplay like a first rounder, not nec. #3OA, we may be just fine at outside corner. But I’m still rooting for a guy like Banks or Forbes.

One more rookie and I think we’re good at CB. Far better than I thought we would be.

Moseley is the wild card. He can be a 1 if he’s fully healthy and recovered.

2 Likes

I’m just looking at Brad’s history. Over the 2 years he’s been our GM he’s literally cared the most of any GM in the league about a player’s athleticism with premium picks. He’s also essentially tied for the most using those picks on high value positions. Click the link to the thread at the top, it lays it out beautifully.

It’s a small sample size which is why I didn’t say “Brad won’t take Branch,” I said I don’t think he will.

I hear you and your probably right just really like the player and think he floor is so high.

Yeah I agree with that too. It’s one of the reasons I loved Pitre so much last year for the same spot (though he tested a lot better than Branch, 8.47 RAS). But my hunch is Brad thinks he can find guys to play those positions later in the draft or for cheap in FA.

I think we like our slot options. Between Jacobs (who I think is the first option), Sutton, Harris and Jeff we’ve got plenty of shots on goal.