I May Have Attended My Last NFL Game

I have a very good job and make a good living. Not bragging, just telling the truth. The Lions are one of my true passions. But with the players salaries, this year in particular, there is no way in hell I am ever going to spend $150 for shit seats (not to mention parking and concessions) to watch these guys again. I may get to take some customers for work but I will not lay out my own money to pay for these outlandish salaries. I mean $46 million per year for Watson? ($45k / minute whether he’s on the field or not). Crazy. I guess to each his own but I just can’t do it.

8 Likes

I completely get it. Who can afford to go to these games these days!?

1 Like

Agree so much… it’s truly insane. Not just NFL, but all pro sports. Even baseball which is probably the cheapest of the major sports, shit seats, overpriced food and drinks… I mean if you just went with one other person you are still talking upwards of $100 for a night out, and that’s the cheap side of it.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t take the wife out or go out with friends and drop a couple hundred bucks, however, that’s a special occasion kind of thing, for me anyway. Not a regular occasion.

You could keep that money and buy a really nice big screen tv and never have to wait in line for the bathroom, and when the team starts to lose turn the channel!

4 Likes

Not me and honestly I like watching at home or freinds better.I did the 3 hour drive 1 way with 4 kids a couple times but not anymore.

7 Likes

Or just fill up your car with gas, lol. Same price.

6 Likes

I perfer watching at home. Drinks are cheap. People aren’t breathing down your neck. And the toilet is close by

12 Likes

I went to at least 30 games in the 90’s and early 2000’s before moving overseas. But, you are right. 10 dollar beers and a huge lineup to pee. Great memories, but I wish I had that money back now.

2 Likes

Totally agree with the above statements. I really enjoy my 10 mile drive to watch the Great Lakes Loons: good atmosphere, cheap seats, entertaining, and home or to a local pub in no time.

2 Likes

The player salaries are paid for by the TV deals. If you should be upset with anybody it’s the owners who want to cash in on top of their billions by charging $15 for a beer. The players earn their money by drawing ratings.

8 Likes

I look for warm weather venues later in the season. I’m in for one game a year generally, usually meet up with old friends so I factor that into the equation.

Hahahaha well yes especially in the parlance of our times!

2 Likes

Yes to all of this.

1 Like

The Lions would have to be a playoff contender for me to even consider purchasing a ticket again. But, Shiela said it’s because of the virus why attendance was 2nd worst in the nfl, lol.

2 Likes

The Honolulu Blue Flu?

1 Like

Not just the lions but really any of the teams… and even then, if they were good, I’d rather watch at home because then I could focus and pay attention without distraction.

It’s the way sports has gone and why these tv deals are so huge.

1 Like

Side note - I remember my mom telling stories about how they would be walking around Detroit and would pop into tigers games… after the 4th inning or so they would just walk in for free, go sit wherever they wanted, got to meet players, all that. This was the 60s, and I’m sure it was similar in the 70s and 80s and some of the 90s.

Even as I got older and we would go to a tiger game, we’d wait til the middle of the game and then go wander around and sit in the better open seats and try not to get caught by ushers.

It’s just a completely different world for attending sporting events these days

3 Likes

you realize most of this money comes from TV contracts right? Are you going to stop watching too?

1 Like

Whether I’m physically at the game during tv timeouts or sitting on the couch watching commercials, that sunk time is a given. So your statement is rather weak. If you are ok spending $150 for a bad seat then good for you. I’m not saying YOU shouldn’t. I won’t.

4 Likes

I respect your comment, but not many people under 40 watch TV anymore. And I’m 40. lol - Everyone is streaming.

1 Like

Amen brother, i used to buy nose bleed tickets and then make my way around the stadiums for years.

1 Like