I think the Lions might have something with Blough

I’m not going to try and pretend I know that much about him but I’ve been reading up on old scouting reports and game recaps. From what I gathered he’s not always wildly inaccurate when pressured and often keeps his cool under pressure. The biggest knock I saw was some games he would look like Drew Brees, throwing receivers open all over the field and other games he would look like a dumpster fire missing even the easy throws

Reports through camp and then his performance in preseason really put him down on my list of hopefuls. Maybe as he becomes more comfortable he can improve his accuracy.

I think you have to ask yourself how many more years Stafford is going to play if his back becomes an issue every year and he starts missing half of every season. I love the guy, don’t get me wrong, but I’m beginning to wonder; getting his ass kicked every weekend has to be getting old and I’m thinking he might just hang it up before he ends up in a wheelchair.

2 Likes

Durability was a big problem for him in college. He always had some magic to him

I think that it’s going to take more tape but he handled the pressure and bought time with his legs, he hit guys in stride. He looked comfortable. The stage wasn’t too big.

2 Likes

Agreed. And playing QB is 99% between the ears. I think he’s got it, man. Time will tell. There are several forms of intelligence involved in plying QB, but Brady, Montana, Bres, etc…Those dudes didn’t make it because they had cannons for arms or amazing athleticism.

How good can Blough be? Dunno. I highly suspect he can make it in the NFL though. Lots of things to go into it, though. We’ll get a better idea, when more tape of him comes out and how Defenses adjust, for sure. Bevell’s out-earning his paycheck, though. Loving what he’s done, so far. Let’s get another RB and beef up the OL and just outscore people. We put up NBA scores, and maybe Goodell will finally deem us good for ratings. Who knows?

1 Like

I like Blough to a certain degree, but I need to see more. I’m not crowning him or labeling him anything “yet” but prefer him over JD.

2 Likes

I’m going to guess this thread wont age well. In fact, in about 6 hours, we will probably be calling for his head. Hes playing a good team with a solid defense that has some actual game film on him. I’m expecting 200 or less yards 50%ish completion percentage and at least 2 turnovers. Anything much better than that would be a surprise to me. Hope he is in fact a guy we lucked out on, but a lot of QBs have nice debuts.

1 Like

that’s true. Will be nice to see how he responds to today’s adversity, and there will most definitely be some adversity for him, today.

1 Like

I saw slow reads, miss reads and a noodle arm giving WR’s no time for YAC, if time to make the catch at all. He should battle it our with Driscoll for #3 and we still need a backup QB who could win a few games if necessary. Was hoping to see more from the guy, but not impressed. I know the Vikings are no easy out, but game was over before it started with this guy.

4 Likes

This is a very accurate assessment. I thought he deserved a couple games. Looked solid against the Bears. His arm strength is very poor. Makes Kellen Moore look like he has a rocket arm.

With Stafford out, I just want to find our backup. I’d be starting Sloter the next 2 games

Blough compared to Stafford is like a little fat kid eating a donut running down the street compared to Carl Lewis running the 100 meters. The kid may have the upside of a backup QB in the NFL, but he doesn’t have the tools you look for. We all hope they find a quality backup, but he is a long way from that today.

3 Likes

Way to high after one game.
Way to low after 2 games.
Will we hit the middle after 3 games?

Like anyone else, I would love a top level backup QB. But money is a driving factor. With money considered, I am okay with Driskell as the backup. He’s clearly a major step forward from that clown from Michigan that used to backup Stafford. Even with the fast start, IMO Blough simply doesn’t have it. As you pointed out, the noodle arm is the biggest challenge. Even when he was making plays early on, he seemed to be putting everything he had on some basic throws. No thanks.

2 Likes

Sounds familiar …

joeyjpg-b27f383f7bce6c3a_medium

1 Like

He’ll be running for president, by the end of the season!

1 Like

Minny brought the pressure all game and Blough couldn’t deal with it. Like a night and day difference between start one and two.

This was the scoop on him in college too. He looked like an NFL starter beating Ohio State,
Then look like a train wreck against Backwoods University

Also are some people here really debating whether Stafford is better than Brees?

Brees is a hands down hall of famer. That raises the question…If Stafford plays a few more years and we still never win a playoff game; but he throws for another 15,000 yards, How many would consider that a HOF worthy career?

Let’s be honest. Blough made a few plays at the beginning of his 1st start. He chit the bed the rest of the game. It didn’t take 4 games to figure him out. The Bears had him pegged partway thru his 1st start. The Vikings came in and drove the point home. We had EXTRA time to the prepare for the Vikings, and they had a SHORT week to prepare for us. The fact that Blough couldn’t get a few surprise scores tells me everything I need to know.

3 Likes

Didn’t he throw for something like the third most yards for a rookie debut in 50 years? In prime time, against one of the best defenses in the league? Plus if DA doesn’t drop that pass downfield he probably drives the field for a win

Not sure its being honest at all calling that ‘shitting the bed with a couple nice throws’. I think he finished with a respectable 87 rating

Being a rookie QB isn’t easy. Especially not taking many first team snaps. I seem to recall Staffords first two games he posted something like a 30 and 50 qbr

Not saying Blough has a future as a starting NFL QB. But all things considered he has acquitted himself pretty well

Punt
Punt
Field Goal
Punt
Interception

That was his second half. I guess he’s the QB we deserve.

1 Like