I thiught we didn't have much money

I am amazed what detroit has been abke to do in free agency

5 Likes

Same, because yes we have added a bunch of talent, but we really haven’t spent that much. Moneyball Brad is crushing it! All of these dudes we have added, like 10+ guys signed for less than 1 Trey Flowers contract. I may be exaggerating some, but not much.

3 Likes

We put it all on credit card and ask for bailout later. It’s American way.

7 Likes

I think you could argue detroit had as good free agency as Chicago with there 100 million in soace

2 Likes

Always had money, didn’t have a lot of cap space.

But . . .

Restructure pay cut of Romeo
Restructure Walker/Fox to create cap space - Credit Card
Backload contracts of Anzalone, Sutton, Montgomery - Credit Card

2 Likes

Quiet you! We’ll send you to the gulag!

1 Like

The FMIA write up on the first week of FA is good.

This, imo, is the most spot on part (comes from the bears section)

“Win the ninth overall pick. Either trade down if you don’t love what’s there, or make the right choice in a tricky spot. The biggest X factor in this draft will be Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter , who possibly will fall to nine now after being the best overall prospect two months ago, then having a disastrous off-season. Poles has to figure out if Carter’s a legit hard-trying football guy or an irresponsible problem person, and whether he’s the kind of person and player he wants to bring in to a building franchise with character and ethos crucial elements to long-term success. I can’t emphasize how important this is. If Carter is there when Poles picks, he has the kind of decision to make that could define his term as Chicago GM.”

I am so so happy that DC is the coach becuause I think he can suss this out in a couple of meetings. I got my issues with Coach, but player eval is not one of them.

4 Likes

The lions are working the cap really really well.

5 Likes

Don’t forget Charles Harris.

Big V likely coming soon.

I can only imagine the conversations that are happening with those 3 that have been “Renegotiated” (Romeo, Harris, Big V).

"Look… We like you but you’ve been hurt through no fault of your own. You got a lot of money last year riding the pine. What we ask is that you are open to a renegotiation where basically you take a cut this year for your off year last year. When you have the breakout year we know you will, you will be worth another HUGE contract. You’ll also be helping us make cap space to get a Super Bowl caliber team.
The alternative is we have to separate (cut you), you don’t get much more than the guarantees and potentially go to a team that doesn’t value you like we do. A team that has less interest in playing you and may prevent your next big contract. With us, you know you’ll play and we’ll showcase what you do best. You’ll be paying us back for last season and we’ll use that to get you a great team mate that can help us get to the super bowl. "

It’s worked twice now. I expect it to work with Big V as well because he was given an OT contract and he was an OG that sat all year. He should give the lions money back in the form of a paycut this season.

No one EVER wants to lose money or give money back. So they must have a heck of a pitch to help these players understand that if they give the lions one more year at a discount, it will be worth it in the long run from play time to exposure, etc.

3 Likes

There’s a talent to be able to it and someone within the Lions has it.

Also, I expect both Harris/Okwara can earn incentives with tiered playing time thresholds that won’t count on the 2023 cap, but will be a year end adjustment to the 2024 cap.

I hope OTC gets these contract figures, curious to see what they are.

1 Like

I thought Harris had $250k and Okwara had $500k in play time bonuses available. Are there additional ones they can add?

1 Like

I could argue we’ve had a better off season than Chicago so far. They’ve done a good job but they also dumped a ton of money into 2 starting linebackers. We’ve gotten 3/4 of a starting secondary for less than that.

2 Likes

Those are per game bonuses. Per game bonuses are adjusted throughout the league year.

i.e. Romeo only played in 5 games in 2022, so his per game bonus only counts 5/17th’s toward the 2023 cap, but if he plays all 17 games in 2023, his entire $500K bonus will be adjusted throughout the year and at the end of the year, the entire $500K count against the 2023 cap.

Playing time incentives are usually based on a percentage of snap counts

i.e. Romeo played in about 10.5% of the defensive snaps in 2022. So any playing time incentive above 10.5% would not count against the 2023 cap. Say Romeo has playing time incentive of $1M for playing in 11% of the snaps, another $1M for playing in 30% of the snaps and another $1M for playing in 50% of the snaps. If he plays in 66.55% of the snaps, like he did in 2020, none of the $3M play time incentives would count against the 2023 cap, but all would be reconciled at the end of the league year and would be an adjustment to the 2024 cap.

4 Likes

Brad pushed in his chips and forced open the window.

Family Guy GIF

2 Likes

A real gif of Holmes and Romeo Okwara …or was that Charles Harris?

1 Like

Left open for interpretation

Our “window” is open now yet we didn’t over commit future cap space. We have 4 picks upcoming in the 1st and 2nd round which should be 4 quality players. We are going to have some tough decisions when it comes to final 51.

2 Likes

For the first time in a long time we’re going to be cutting players that other teams will be interested in.

2 Likes

I wish Barnes well!

Eu Referendum GIF by Stephen Maurice Graham