I was WRONG Goff deserves

Seriously, why not next season? A last place schedule, injury luck can’t be any worse, Goff’s McVay-ectomy a success, 2nd year familiarity, new regimes in Chicago and Minnesota, Green Bay w/o AR, perhaps adding Aidan, Olave, Dean, FA Marcus Williams. 7 of 16 teams in the playoffs.

Playoffs? Might could.

6 Likes

Logically then, they would have to win the Central, or displace either the Eagles, 49ers or Cardinals, right? That also assumes no other non playoff team takes a big jump up (NOLA and Minnesota have the talent for that).

The Eagles have 3 firsts, an improving young QB and seem more on the upswing than downswing. They play in a division like the Central, competition wise.

Thr 49ers could be in transition at QB, which could be unsettling, and play in the toughest division in the NFL. But they have a lot of talent too.

Cardinals- are they as good as 1st half Cardinals?? If so, good luck.

Really, our best chance is winning the division, which realistically only happens if Rodgers moves on.

It’s not hopeless, but so many things have to go right because the team is bottom 3 in talent in the NFL. It’s hard to fix that in 1 yr and to be honest, this was Year Zero of a rebuild…

4 Likes

I wish more folks understood that. I think we can snag 10 out of our schedule. Philly is upswing…sure seems like it.
Cards may have peaked
SF has potential to leap with QB being a huge X-factor for them
MN is a weird situation? Will be so interesting to see what new coaches do.

1 Like

I think that Goff has decent trade value and yes, if he isn’t showing the gear they’re looking for trade him for what you can in 2023. If he’s even a top 20 QB that means there are 12 teams that could use an upgrade. I just don’t get using hi draft capital in a bad draft for QB’s ON a QB. If I can take an also ran QB in a shitty QB draft OR I can get a LB, Safety or WR that I can plug and play, I’m passing on the bench warmer. You gotta play the course and we’re pretty much hitting out of the bunker here and still over 200 yards from the green. Oh, and it’s a dog leg left, sometimes you just gotta lay up and still give yourself a chance at par.

1 Like

Way too early to say. I’m aiming for 7-8 wins next year with a real shot to compete for the division in '23. As you said if Rodgers moves on then the division becomes a street fight.

1 Like

This is exactly where I am at right now, I just don’t see a QB that we would want being there at 27 or 34 and the needs in other areas override taking a leap on someone like Willis or Strong
Fill in the other holes and go with Goff for 22 with an eye on 23 to draft a QB.
Agree not the best plan but it is what it is given no elite QB to be had at 2OA

1 Like

The way I see it, we don’t need to force the QB issue. But we do need a contingency plan for next year if Goff falters//regresses. So that means we need to either draft one or go out and find a FA with some upside to compete with Goff and/or keep developing. Its hard to find a FA with that criteria, so my belief is that we will, in fact, draft a QB. I just don’t think it’ll be before round 3. Then by the end of next year, our QB situation will be clearer And yet, still miserable, most likely, if Goff and the draftee can’t hack it.

I’ve come around some on Goff for sure. To the point where IF we stick with him and don’t invest in a QB this offseason, I won’t be completely enraged. That was not the case for most of 2021. But we got Decker back, acquired Reynolds, St. Brown took off, DC and Johnson took over and things started clicking.

Then again… our staff is coaching Malik Willis at the Senior Bowl and if they think he’s the man, then we can roll w Goff one more year as he’s grooming the kid.

2 Likes

My gut says this is the plan. Whether Willis or Howell,(maybe Ridder or Strong) they’re going to try and get thier early/mid round guy, and try the old “clipboard for a year” technique. And if we’re 2-6 to start, he gets baptized by fire.

1 Like

On paper (for what that is worth) with our OL and our RBs and Hock at TE if we can get a quality WR in FA or the Draft with Amon-Ra St Brown and Cephus coming back. We should be able to move the chains. WE play a minimum of 9 games in domes so NO weather problems. The best way to beat teams with good QBs is to keep them off the field. I think Goff can do enough to keep us in most games and maybe steal a win possibly two.
Even in bad weather a solid run game is a plus.

There is not a QB in this draft that makes you think we have to have him. As good as Trevor Lawrence was in college the pro game is another level. NO QB in this draft even comes close to him. I am fine waiting regardless of what happens next year. IF the right guy is there in 2022, use both 1sts and even 2023’s first to go get him (based on our record).

Getting a “maybe” type QB late in round one or even later is a WASTE of a pick in my mind because you will be drafting another one later and the rebuild starts again. Why waste that pick when we NEED players on defense right now.

3 Likes

Cause those defensive players are just as likely to be a waste. Getting a mid/late round qb who is a hit, while unlikely, is huge find. And QB is so important, in my opinion, it’s always worth the risk.
I’m not saying to draft one just to draft one, but if you really like a guy, don’t pass on him cause you’re not sure he may play right away. The long game.

1 Like

From your mouth to God’s ears. I was told that I was the only one of this board that felt this way.

A QB in this draft is silly. Way to many other needs, We have the same picks the following year, that way we know what we have in Goff. I for one, am now a Goff fan. I think he has it.

2 Likes

He’s definitely got top notch pro instincts. His hands could be a little bigger. His windup is way too long. But he is what he is and he is good enough to get us into the playoffs. We need some more defensive people like Walker III.

If Goff is your QB, you better have a really good o-line. He goes from really solid to crap in the blink of an eye when he faces a stout pass rush. People say it was the RB carrying him in LA but I really think it was more the o-line. Dude is a bit of a statue and his pocket escape ability has to be about dead last in the league. Nothing good happens when he starts running.

It just happens that the Lions have a really good o-line. So the match might be good.

1 Like

I was really down on him early. Down the stretch he played very well. Unfortunately it was during the time we were playing meaningless games…partly because of how bad he was early.

At this point there is no rookie I want us to draft to replace him NEXT YEAR…but I believe the Lions should be drafting our next QB in the mid rounds and letting him sit behind Goff next year. If Goff plays well next year, the kid would get another year to learn, rinse and repeat until such time Goff is not the guy.

ARog sat for 4 years behind Farve. I would love to see us get a guy that is good and give him 2-3 years behind Goff, unless Goff stinks it up,

Since we are not in “WIN NOW” mode and are completely into a rebuild I would not be against a QB in the 2nd or even with our second 1st Round pick. There is no pressure on them right now to win next year beyond winning more than we won this year…and that is a really low bar

1 Like

I’d be really happy with this.

It really depends on who else is there, and tbh I don’t want a QB this year. If they take Willis when Dean or Lloyd is also available, for me, a mistake.

1 Like