If Goff is your guy, when do you extend him?

Goff’s contract runs through 2024. My concern is if you wait until the beginning of the 2024 season, is he going to get more expensive as other QBs sign contracts? Or does he decide to pull a Lamar Jackson and say “screw you guys, you had a chance to extend me early and you didn’t, so I’m walking or the price tag went way up.

If he is your guy, is it worth extending him now at another 4 years for say another $150-160M? If MCDC and Brad Holmes truly think he is our QB of the future and not a bridge—why not lock him up early?

4 Likes

Not before next offseason.

4 Likes

After the 23 season.

6 Likes

There is so many different ways they could go. Even if he is their guy, and no reason to doubt it, doesn’t mean you want to pay him 40-50 a year. When BJ leaves Goff could go w him. Perhaps the new OC wants a different qb. Perhaps the lions go trade for an established guy……or use beans to get a guy they want in the draft in two years w a ready made team. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Goff is the guy and he is here and we win a lot of games for now.

5 Likes

The most important position on the team is not the small stuff.
I’d hate for us to start 2023 with a 7-1 record, and something happens and JG misses 5-6 games! Does a Superbowl contender just hope for the best at QB?
Didn’t work out for the Rams.
I would love to draft a quality rook and let him learn for 2 years, only play him in preseason or if the unthinkable happened.
So, if we are to draft one, do you go for the best at #6 or hope for one to work out in the mid to late rounds?
What if we re-up JG for another 4-6 years and the rook shines in preseason games or injury fill in? We have future Beanz!
Invest now for the dividends of the future.
We have a bonus 1st round pick in 23, if anyone believed JG would have the year he had in 23, the trade would not have been for the two 1st rounders we received. Time to play moneyball. If Brad and Co. love AR15, GO FOR IT!

2 Likes

I would talk after 23 season when he has 1 yr left

2 Likes

After next season. He needs to prove this year wasn’t a fluke.

It’s nothing personal. I wouldn’t pay any QB with only 1 year of top 10 production on my team $40M+. We just need to make sure that what we saw this year isn’t a one off like what Geno Smith did probably was.

6 Likes

After 23 we will have to give up major Beanz to be in a similar position to draft someone who has great potential. It also leaves us scrambling to fill the vital role of a good backup for the 23 season.
I am able to offer reasons to wait and reasons to make a draft move now. I get both sides of the argument.
Looking at the long play, I don’t want to give up high value draft capitol (2 or 3 good players) in the 24 draft, when it would only cost us one this year. I also like sitting a rook for 2 years and 2 preseasons.
Sometimes it’s hard to think about future drafts(2024) with the same emotions/Wants that we see in this upcoming draft. But I can promise you, to move up to the top 10 in the 24 draft, it will cost us much more.

3 Likes

I have made my decision to extend him now.
But going off our resident expert on the board for financial things… he said to wait till 23. So i do what @DeadStroke says and wait. He can explain why

2 Likes

It’s almost like you can get a capable backup without spending a first round pick that could be used on a player who could provide long term solution on the defense on a relatively cheap contract.

The 49ers are all the proof you need of the model to follow. Build an amazing team and a guy like Brock Purdy can step in and be successful.

5 Likes

I have no problem extending JG. I agree with @DeadStroke.
I just hope there is a QB that Brad and Co love in this draft and grab him for backup QB purposes and it only will cost us 1 pick.

3 Likes

Yes, ideally after the 2024 draft.

1 Like

And let’s not forget it’s even easier in the 6th round where most most SB titles are held by that QB.
I think it’s fair to say both NE and SF got lucky. TBD with Purdy, heck even Scott Mitchell looked great for 1/2 a season when no book was out on him.
I don’t see us or any other team being able to count a later round pick and being able to count on them as the quality backup QB we are looking for. Can we get lucky? Sure, but it seems to happen every 20-25 years, and Purdy just might be the one of this generation.

2 Likes

San fran is a poster child for what a great defense means to winning, what playmakers matter for, and why its risky to spend on a high 1st and more for a qb prospect.

3 Likes

There really isn’t a right or wrong answer here. If Goff wants an extension, I start hammering one out, but if he’s not pushing the issue, I wait until the end of 2023, beginning of 2024. You have 4 QB’s, that are up for an extension this offseason, Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Hurts. Probably at least 2 get a new deal done and I don’t think any of them push the QB market much above where it is. As for Vets, Brady this year, Cousins and Tannehill next year and none will push the market either.

You aren’t going to save much by doing it now and you aren’t going to cost yourself much, if any, by waiting a year. You could technically get the 2026 season on a 2nd franchise tag for around $55M and Goff will be 32 at that point.

9 Likes

The cost of getting into the top 3 in terms of the total value of what we’d be giving up to get the trade done is going to be the same next year as it is this year. Trading 6 and 18 is giving up major beanz. The price of the no 3 pick is always going to be 2200 points on the JJ chart, or 401.3 points on the Harvard chart, whichever way you do it or whenever you do it that’s the price you’re going to be paying and the opportunity cost is going to be the same.

The best and only time to trade up for a QB is when there’s a guy you’re madly in love with.

2 Likes

Lamar jackson too

2 Likes

I wasn’t very clear, I am in no way advocating a trade of our 6 & 18 to move up for a QB. No way I’d do that with JG still here for a minimum of 2 more years.
All I’m saying is IF the QB Brad and company LOVE happens to fall to 6OA, grab him this year.
Not a popular take, and I get why. But the exhuberant cost NY will be MUCH worse than 1 pick this year @6

2 Likes

If Goff has another solid year or starts out like gangbusters next season, I’d probably start talking with his agent.

1 Like

They could do any of that. I wouldn’t sweat it bc Goff is here for at least two years. So for st least two more years qb play will be solid. If they decide to go in a different direction at some point they will make a play for the other person. If it’s a rookie he sits and develops and then takes over a contender……or they trade for an established qb. All the scenarios we will be good. It’s a lot easier for a qb to succeed w a good team around him look at kaepernick look at Wilson in Seattle……only way we get screwed is if they reach for a Blake bortles kind of talent and does anyone really think Brad is going to screw up that badly in this hypothetical scenario. We will bc okay.

4 Likes