If I was Saleh, I'd choose the Jaguars

Every coach eventually gets canned, unless you’re one of those rare guys like Cowher. You have a limited shelf life to make your mark and figure out what is next. If you had to pick a job, think about the pros and cons. Here’s what you get with Jags that you don’t get with the Lions.

1. The ability to go see your family back home WITHOUT being in the limelight as coach.

2. Going back to an area where you worked for years.

3. No income tax

4. An open salary cap, an owner ready to spend, and an offseason that’s going to be a buyers market for teams.

5. A bevy of draft picks.

6. Low expectations from a laid back fan base.

There are a very low percentage of positive scenarios that come from coming back to Detroit for him. There’s a lot of variables, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he took a hard pass on the Lions, discreetly, after thinking it over.

3 Likes

Are you Saleh’s agent or just want another coach?

Just trying to see what the motivation for this post. Just so you know, I agree with you.

1 Like

Lot of good points. I see a lot of similarities between the franchises though and IF he could win in Det vs Jax I bet it’d be worth the tax difference.

Only disagree is fan base isn’t necessarily laid back about football because it’s the only team in town. They moan and groan a lot. However the culture of the area is more laid back with lots of transplants that turn into casual jags fans like me.

Edit: a negative just came to mind that Lions fans can appreciate. There’s some alarming nepotism trends in Jax just like Dallas + Detroit. Shad Khan’s son is the head of their analytics department with no related track record that I’m aware of. He’s gotten into Twitter spats with players and speaking of an organization who had major talent yet ran everyone off…

Do coaches have to pay taxes on road games like the players do? Or is it a different system?

I would choose Jax over Detroit for 8 million reasons. But the big one is you will be allowed to win if you put a good team together in Jax. Even if he assembles something good here, the refs will screw him over.

2 Likes

Same

IF he could pull it off here, he would be a friggin hero.
Maybe we can pay enough to make it worth his while.
I view close to family as better than “going home discreetly,” on occasions.

We shall see how this pans out, that’s for damn sure. Hope we get lucky with a coach that’s good enough to beat the refs and the opposition. Beating the refs at Lambau field is an uphill battle, for sure.

Think about the pressure playing in Detroit especially if you’re building on the fly and Stafford is retained. He’ll have to win from day one. If I’m Saleh, the only way I choose us is if we do a complete rebuild. I do like some of the pieces we have

1. Swift
  2. Penisini
  3. Ragnow
  4. Jackson
  5. Walker (who could benefit from coaching change)

Nah, just trying to get in these guys heads and read the tea leaves as much as possible. A what-would-I-do-if-I-wasn’t-a-homer approach. Seriously, tell me you can’t envision his pops getting accosted in a grocery store by some meat head telling him his kid sucks as the coach. I wouldn’t want my family put through that.

I just think other teams have a lot more to offer than we do. Being a former LB coach with the Jaguars, I could see him salivating to get his hands on Parsons. It’s doubtful he’d have that chance here.

In a vacuum, Jax is the better job. They’ve got a ton of draft picks, they’ve got a lot of young recently-drafted talent (i.e. Josh Allen, grr…). In fact you could say that all they really need is a QB to make huge strides, and the incoming coach will know they’re in a position to draft just such a QB. Hell, they’re still in the running for Lawrence.

But we all know these decisions are not made in a vacuum. How strong are Saleh’s feelings towards Detroit? It might be that he just wants to be the guy who turns around his childhood team (this would be my approach, money be damned). What if the Jags find a coach they want more than Saleh? It’s not like he’s the clear top candidate. He might not even be our top candidate, despite all the media hype. We just don’t know yet.

1 Like

Jacksonville is a worse city than Detroit. That’s a con, I guess.

When Penisini and Walker are on the top 5 of most desirable pieces to use as a selling point you know the franchise is in dire shape.

The only two reasons I see the Lions being the least bit appealing is two reasons, the reward of bringing the Lions to prominence would arguably be richer than any other franchise outside of the Browns. Whoever brings a Superbowl to Detroit will be an all time hero (in a sports context).

The second reason is ownership that is largely hands off. GMs and coaches want full control. They will get that here.

Other than that, the other franchises have the Lions beat in every aspect, more desirable location, young franchise QBs to build around, won more than 1 playoff game in the last 63 years etc.

You think Rod Wood is going to be hands off???

Yes. There’s no reason to believe that Quinntricia didn’t have full autonomy as was the case with every regime under the Fords, as far as we know.

1 Like

I believe the GMs would prefer to deal with Sheila directly as oppose to Wood being the middle man. This is why Birkett tweeted GMs reluctant because the lions have a non football guy as president

In what reality?
Jacksonville is a beautiful city.
The beaches are great.

1 Like

How? Lol.

They don’t have Zug Island.

You must have compared the 2 cities in an alternate reality. Did you go thru some kind of time-space continuum to get there?

That comment about “a football guy” still makes no sense to me, logically.

Lol… damn. So true… Did anyone watch the SF game last night. I’m not opposed to Saleh, just don’t know enough about his Defense. I caught about 5 minutes and it looks like he’s mostly a front four pressure guy. But all the guys behind the Dline, just seem to fly around and are always disrupting. Our guys can’t fly around because they are all too slow…

I think that gets hashed out in the interview process. They have a lot of respect for Wood to oversee things from the business perspective, but the dividing line is still non-football operations. I don’t think any GM would have to worry about Wood stopping a move they want to make. The new Ford regime likes collaboration for input and Wood is part of that, but the buck will stop at the GM not Wood. Most GM’s report to someone who knows way more about being rich than they do about NFL X’s and O’s.