If the Rams earn the No. 2 overall pick, trade down possibilities emerge

Let’s say Wilks manages to steal another win along the way–say Pittsburgh or New Orleans and drops the Panthers out of contention for one of the top 2-3 QBs. The Lions would be in prime position at No. 2 overall to extract significant draft capital from the Panthers. Indeed, there’s no question that Panthers owner Tepper has made it no secret that he wants a top level QB:

Mayfield hasn’t panned out. PJ Walker isn’t it. And, Darnold is now on what may be his last chance as a starter in the NFL.

Rooting for the Panthers to win one more (except against the Lions, of course).

4 Likes

I think we could trade down to #6 and get a 2nd this year and next year.

2 Likes

I would only consider a trade out of the 2nd spot if it includes a future 1st. There is a stark talent dropoff after Young, Anderson and Carter, IMO. If I am dropping out of their range it has to be worth it. At #6 you are probably hoping Myles Murphy is there. If hes gone you are really scrambling. Is their a CB worthy of that pick? Maybe Levis? Bryan Breese? Quentin Johnson?

Honestly the waters get very muddy at the top once the big names are gone. IMO, there isn’t a huge difference in talent when picking 8-20 this year. Maybe that changes in the next couple months, but thats how I see it now.

10 Likes

I should have said that that was the starting point according to the trade chart. In fact that was already low because next years 2nd would have 3rd round value. In just a straight up value trade a 2nd this year and a first next year would be close to even.

Agreed! But, having 2 firsts 3 years in a row sure would be tempting if you got the right offer. Especially with Holmes showing he can hit home runs with these 1st rounder so far.

1 Like

Me too, to stack ammo in case we decide to go after a QB next year. Or who knows maybe whoever we trade with will come in last and we’ll get the #1 overall pick.

3 Likes

Good points all. My concern would be what is the motivation for a team to move up. :thinking: It’s one of those strange moments where there’s need, demand, but not a lot of spending power. I think if we end up at 2, we’re going to have a hard time moving the pick for traditional value. :thinking: One team that has need is New Orleans, but not much draft capital to work with. Same with the Rams if Stafford suddenly retired.

Oh, wouldn’t that be a hoot. Trade Goff back to the Rams and take a QB, :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

If we get their 1st rd pick next year I’d absolutely do it. Chances are they’re going to be very bad next year and next years QB class with Williams, Maye, Ewers is light years better than this QB class.

4 Likes

From PFN…they are assuming the Bears are the second pick, I assume it’s the Rams but here’s what they predict the haul would/could be…
2) Carolina Panthers (from CHI): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Trade: Carolina sends pick Nos. 6 and 88 in the 2023 NFL Draft as well as 2024 first- and third-round selections and an additional 2025 first-round pick for the No. 2 overall pick from Chicago.

7 Likes

Yeah that’s about what I would expect. What a great haul that would be.

6 Likes

Sold, that would set the Lions up for a good extended run.

6 Likes

Sorry but I have to assess that trade as a pipe dream. I just don’t think Carolina has enough trade up competition for that pick to make that kind of offer.

Outside of Carolina, does any other team have the capital and need to move up for that pick?

1 Like

Is there a ‘Mike Ditka’ lurking around in the 2023 NFL?

I want a Ricky Williams type haul if we trade out of the #2 spot.

4 Likes

Don’t I wish!!!

Sure, just like when I said they could on a point scale make the trade for an additional second this year and a first next year. If there were to be a deal I imagine it would land somewhere in between.

Yeah that would be pretty awesome if Carolina did trade that for #2 with us, providing the rams pick is 2.

Theee years in a row with 2 picks on a young and upcoming team could be scary

2 Likes

2 Likes

I posted in another thread that my ideal scenario is to make 2 1st round picks and at least 2 second round picks this year AND have the same for next year with some creative trading.

I’m hoping the Rams pick is the last time we pick in the top 10 for awhile.

1 Like

That’d be exciting…buuuut…do you feel that pops us just below having the ability to get Carter?

2 Likes

LOL - Fantastic! 2 firsts and a 3rd, MF’rz!

Then go find the dumbest trade partner (Vikings), and see what they come up with.

Heart Smile GIF

2 Likes