If we release 6 players would have just over 48 mil Cap room

Looks like the title of the post was changed. It really sounded like we did this, but I could not find any verification…the new title of the post makes it clearer. SMH.

If title was miss leading was not my reason I just wanted to show 6 players gave us over 30 mil in space

3 Likes

I won’t be. It will just mean that we let go of a very costly 3rd-5th string EDGE player, while we give Cominsky a raise and Houston/Paschel more snaps. Then we’ll probably add a guy later on. That said, it also wouldn’t surprise me if we do exactly as you predict. Romeo may get a decent deal elsewhere and provide Brad a Comp bean.

5 Likes

they resign him an lets say draft at # 6 Murphy or Wilson they have size at DE Hutch ab Wilson with Houston just like what Cominsky an Hutch did you can switch say Wilson an Pascal an bring Houston also off edge,

You get a pair of DEs like Hutch an Wilson an mix in Cominsky Pascal an Houston that gives Lions different mixes along the DL. I wish we could get Carter but we won’t.

So you develop the DL is different way. We need to pressure even more like almost every snap.

I resign Buggs an keep Jones for the size we need to bring in for short yardage.

Thats why i can agree if we release Romeo an Harris from DL group

1 Like

Don’t think Harris is getting released. Brad seems to think very hghly of him.

3 Likes

I think there’s a strong chance Romeo is cut. I expect Harris back.

6 Likes

That’s my read on it too.

1 Like

Harris is used in a lot of ways and allows us to bring packages in that others do not. He’s not an easy replacement.

I expect him back as a result.

1 Like

I agree , he has proven himself to this staff and i believe they will allow him to at least compete this off-season.

1 Like

Ya I get all these moves especially Brockers, saves cap money.
I also agree

2 Likes

Me 3

Hutch, Commish, Paschal, Houston and Harris are a solid crew - but also give you the flexibility to nab one early if you see a blue chip pass rusher. It makes a lot of sense to me

1 Like

Funny how we can see different things. All good though my friend. I see Harris as very much a one trick pony that is a flame thrower off the edge and little more. They aren’t going to reduce him inside and they aren’t going to have him drop like JOk. I think now he’s a sub-package edge rusher. I think he has value as that certainly, but I do not think he is very versatile. I think it was him, where SHF told him (loosely quoted) “I only need you to do one thing… get the QB.” That’s what he is. He’s not turrible against the run, but he’s no Hutch/Commish/Paschel/Romeo either.

2 Likes

Pretty sure if both Harris and Romeo are 100%, one is gone…IF Commish is back.

If both are healthy, TBH I think Romeo is thr better player. The difference between Romeo and Harris is $14.5m to 8m though…

Jonathan Fernandez GIF by I'm So Jonathan

1 Like

What you described is how ATL used him and he’s less effective that way. Detroit in a 4-3 put him on the edge upright, had his hand in the dirt at the LOS at the 5T. Then lined him up outside at SLB in a base 3-4. Or inside as a stack LB and also pass rushed with him from there. He’s got good range and size so they can mix it up with him. But he’s best crashing the LOS in some way shape or form.

Bottom line is he allows them to be multiple and the pass rush can come from anywhere.

Save 2 mil for Stenberg & Cephus
Save 10 mil for brockers
Save approx 7 mil for RESTRUCTURE V & Romeo
Trade Harris for a 7th 4 million

Thats 23 million. And we get to keep V and Romeo another year for quality depth/ proven starter in this league

38 mil under the cap

4 Likes

small suggestion:
don’t use past tense for things that never happened.

the suggestions are good ones, but i suspect we bring Big V back, restructured. As someone else said, ROK and maybe C. Harris could get us some comp picks.

But really these are all EDGE roles on the LOS where you are not dropping into coverage. Yes you are expected to hold the EDGE in run support, especially as a 5t (which he isn’t really suited for full time compared to guys like Cominsky and Paschel). We used Julian Peterson back in the day as a SLB, but he lived on the LOS as Harris does. Now stack LB? Curious to see how many snaps he got there and what happened during those plays. This could change my perception a bit if he was taking snaps from Barnes, but I’d be shocked if it was a thing.

1 Like

It’s possible, he had back surgery as well. So the medical staff evaluation, his recovery progress and his MRI’s will probably be a huge factor in that decision. If they have any doubts about his back, they should cut him IMO. If they think he’s 100% healthy and ready to rock for next season, well then it gets interesting because he played real good football in 2021 beside Sewell.

3 Likes

Can you cut a guy with bad medicals?

1 Like

Good point, might need to be an injury settlement. We just have no idea about the success of the surgery at this point.

2 Likes