If you're hoping to trade down & snag a CB w/that extra 1st Rd pick, think again

We’ve had a lot of discussion about how, if the Lions trade down with Miami, they could (in theory) obtain an additional 1st Rd pick–either No. 18 or No. 26 overall. However, beyond Okudah, the Lions would have competition for the other top CBs:

2 Likes

Even after trading for Slay, Eagles still in the market for a CB:

1 Like

Agreed again. Cowboys know well in advanced they need CBS in a bad way. Otherwise they will be us in 2019 without a Slay or Coleman. I believe they have to believe at this point they feel we are looking at CY or Okudah at the 3 spot.

They have to have Henderson in their sights at 17.

1 Like

Just a reminder, we got Slay in the second, he was the 5th CB taken in the 2013 draft.

2 Likes

There are more than 2 CBs in this draft.

1 Like

Beyond the top 2, name one you’d be excited about having Pro Bowl potential. Outside of Okudah & Henderson, I’m seeing none.

1 Like

Did you think that Slay had Pro Bowl potential when we drafted him? I’m all for taking Okudah, but really?

This strikes as a weak CB draft (unlike, for example, the WR and OT positions).

I agree talent can be added further down …but Slay was not the prospect Okudah is and when we drafted Slay we had just come off a season with Chris Houston and Jacob Lacy and had added RaShean Mathis late right before the season & who ended up starting over Slay, when Slay was obviously not ready after his week 1 and week 2 starts his rookie year… We need a starter at RCB#2…in a more urgent way then it was in 2013

2 Likes

I’ve got Henderson, Fulton, Diggs and Terrell that are all 6’0-6’1 then Gladney is there a little shorter. Not that it’s the end all, but the 6 footers that can move usually go in the first round. Any CB is going to take his lumps in year one. But I’d rather there were fewer lumps and that is more likely with higher resources invested. I like a TD w Miami for Okudah, LV or Jax for Henderson/Fulton or Diggs with the 1B, snagging Kinlaw more than likely with the 1a. If he gets taken earlier then expected, then Chaisson would be looking awfully good and maybe circle back for Blacklock or Gallimore at DT in the 2nd/3rd.

1 Like

According to CBS Sports, there are 8 CBs in the top 40 and 6 of them are 6’ or better. The other 2 are listed at 5’10". Don’t know that any of them are NFL-ready, maybe Okudah is but maybe he needs some time to acclimate too. Which to me means 3 things:

1. The Lions need to sign a CB2 opposite Trufant. Got my doubts this will happen, but who knows? Can they get lucky and find the next Rashean Mathis? Yeah, sure.

2. Oruwariye better step up. I don’t see anyone else on the roster that is capable.

3. I would much rather see Young at 3 with no TD. I would assume if they TD, Young would be gone, in which case they probably need to go with Okudah and then look for guys that can rush the passer.

OR - the new DC better have free rein to get really creative with different pass rush combos with different people coming from different directions. If it’s me, in passing situations I load up the LOS with 8 guys and drop back different people soon after the ball is snapped. Better chance of getting somebody through unblocked.

1 Like

OK but my point is that talent will still be there. How many teams in the NFL are starting players at multiple positions where one side is solid and the other is a question mark? I can think of one, the Lions, for how many years and at how many positions? Off the top of my head we are currently questionable at RG, RT, outside LB, TE , CB… you get the point. But the reality is that is the dink and dunks that have killed us more than having a #2 CB getting burnt. No matter who we get in the draft, anyone think it wouldn’t be an upgrade over what we had last season? My hope is that we trade out, get extra pick(s), and Okudah is our pick

1 Like

No offense, but my pick would be Chase Young if he is at #3 and screw the TD. Some people say he’s better than either one of the Bosa brothers, so I’d take that and then get the best CB I could at #35, and trade up if I had to.

1 Like

I’ve got the Lions staying put with #3 for Chase Young…
If Young is gone , it was Okudah at #3 for the Lions… but with the Bradberry signing and #1 pick D.Baker last year being in place… the Giants as a threat being minimal ,with them likely passing on a CB at #4… if they stay put.
The only real threat in the top #10 to move up to #4 in a trade with the Giants with the high likely price to do so for Okudah , would be the Cardinals at #8 …with that being the risk, I take the risk and move down to #5 & maybe even a move to #6 as well and we take Okudah at #5 or #6 …this is a best case scenario . Land the blue chip corner prospect in Okudah and additional picks or we land Young at #3 …it’s a can’t lose proposition…I’m loving where we are and the position we are in .

None taken because I doubt that Young is there. If he is, then you take him. This was about moving down, not what I would do if Young was there.

1 Like