Insider Player Evaluation

Driving to Detroit tomorrow from Chicago to watch a 31st consecutive NFL Draft with my Dad. There aren’t many of these special weekends left, I know. So I’m going to soak it up as much as I can right here, right now!

When I do these Draft drives, one of the highlights is listening to podcasts or videos, not of the usual Talking Heads blathering about this mock scenario or that. Rather, I most enjoy in-depth player evaluations based on years of experience, authentic insider contacts/rumors, and/or actual talent-evaluation chops.

I’ve enjoyed hearing from guys through the years like Joel Buchbaum (Pro Football Weekly) Rick Gosselin (Dallas Morning News), Mel Kiper, Al Fronczak (East Coast Sports), Frank Coyle (Draft Insiders Digest), Drew Boylhart (Huddle Report), Ryan McCrystal (Draft Ace), Larry Parker (Great Blue North), Joe Marino (Draft Network), Lance Zierlein (NFL.com), and Greg Cosell (NFL Films).

Buchbaum was a savant. He saw stuff other guys didn’t. He was able to break down stuff he saw on film and tell you why it would matter at the next level. He was right more often than not. A guy like Cosell gets really granular, but he’s often not as accurate as I’d like. Gosselin wasn’t a talent evaluator like Buchbaum was, but he was great at winning the confidence of NFL front office guys, and then would assimilate all that great inside info he got into the most uncannily accurate mock drafts the industry has ever seen- bar none. (I remember he called Nick Fairly to the Lions.)

And Kiper- where to begin…Dude has been all in on this deal longer than just about anyone. I remember my Dad tuning his hi-fi stereo into radio coverage of the Draft. ESPN first televised the draft in 1980! 42 years!! They’ve come a LONG way man.

Here’s my question for you guys;
Anyone got any podcasts or videos out there right now that fit the description of what I could listen to tomorrow? Pure Draft Drive Juice? In-depth stuff from guys who are true students of the Draft who have dug deep over the years and are fascinating to listen to? Would love to add a couple of gems to the queue.

9 Likes

Honestly - I don’t listen to many - if any -podcasts, but I wanted to say how much I loved your post. I hope you enjoy every minute of the draft with your Dad.

My Dad and I bond over hockey - he was never a big NFL guy (more of a CFL guy I would say) but I cherish the talks we have over how the Leafs continue to fuck things up every year……

Anyway - enjoy brother!

4 Likes

Dude that’s awesome you are doing that and all the best to you and your dad. First and foremost, soaks that in and enjoy it!

I have no opinion or knowledge of podcasts. I know Pride of Detroit puts a ton out, Kyle Meinke has one with mlive, there’s just so many… I am not a podcast person if you can’t tell…

Regardless, I hope you have fun and enjoy and just embrace the experience with your dad. We never know when things will happen, just love who you love and enjoy as best you can!

5 Likes

My dad and I bond over hockey more than anything usually… grew up watching the 90s red wings… and 100% agree with everything you said.

And I don’t have the hate for the Leafs that a lot of people do, I always liked them and liked watching them on hockey night in Canada… I was a huge Felix potvin fan!

I do wish the leafs would get it together at some point for their fans… hockey is such a fickle game…

2 Likes

One thing I remember specifically is that Buchsbaum nailed John Randle before anyone knew who he was.

3 Likes

Right. My folks still live just west of TO and I live here, so I soak everything up as much as I can when I’m home. They aren’t getting any younger (neither am I quite frankly). The border shutdown stole 19 months from me.

I bawled like a kid when I first saw them again last August. It was an awesome (and sad) moment. It just made me realize how much I missed them.

5 Likes

Right on, right on. Dude, all the best to you and your family. It’s been a rough couple of years.

Enjoy and make the most of everything you can every day, and embrace those moments… I can relate I think in some ways. Go Leafs! (Since the red wings suck…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

1 Like

Thank you my man. Means a lot!

3 Likes

The Cat!!!

2 Likes

You guys are echoing me and my story. My Dad and I bonded first over hockey. As a little kid I was always an Yzerman fan. Then when NHLPA '93 for Sega Genesis came out, I got hooked on hockey. I learned all the players, what teams and players were good/bad/etc. Then me and my Dad got much closer. Hockey was our thing. I started following football more closely in the late 90’s at the end of the Barry years.

Fast forward to this year, and my son is 16 and played HS football for the first time last year. Then he found Madden, and now he knows all about what teams and players are good/bad and why. This year, he is coming over to my house just to watch the NFL draft and he can tell you all about the players he wants and likes. I am very excited and it’s going to be a very fun weekend hanging out with him.

5 Likes

You’re blessed brother. Soak in the love and celebrate the moment with your boy.

1 Like

If you like Joe Marino, he still does a podcast called The Draft Dudes along with Kyle Crabbs (also with the Draft Network).

Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks is one you can’t go wrong with either, Both are obviously knowledgeable and connected.

Football Guys have a podcast. I haven’t listened to any of them, but I’ve been meaning to. Good guests.

Locked on the NFL Draft is another one I’ve listened to in the past. Rob Rang occasionally hosts.

Drive safe.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.