Interesting Lions player perspective in Matthew Berry's latest column

Yup - dude has already exceeded expectations, IMO. Also - I don’t think we’ve seen his ceiling yet. Dude’s going to get better. Plus, if our OL can produce, teams will have to stack against the run. Wanna see Golliday in man coverage.

2 Likes

I think the OL will produce if you allow them to produce. I’d look at this from the standpoint of the OL themselves.

If you’re a lineman, you want to dish punishment. You want to hit. You want to run block. We started to wean off shotgun to 65% of the time from insane rates in 2017 (76%) and 2016 (84%)

So it was pretty clear that when we went under center, it was a run. Not exactly unpredictable.

People don’t often consciously think of it, but smashing forth with the OL does have an effect later in the game.

Pass pro, it sucks to be backing up. Almost demoralizing.

Sure, shotgun gives benefit to the passer, but it takes a heck of a lot out of the run game (unless you have Shawn Bryson for the draw, of course)

Hoping we’ll see more hitting and run blocking. It will pay off. Especially now that we have backs that won’t be arm tackled easily…

2 Likes

The run game helps the pass protection as well. If a team has a run game you have to honor, it means you can’t do elaborate pass rush moves or call exotic blitzes or stunts.

1 Like

Right? I always thought that if you run out of shotgun with petite backs, the pass rushers just grab the little guy on the way to the QB. That’s why we had a lot of dink passes in the flats and behind the LOS and let the petite backs run against DBs. They MIGHT break a tackle there, especially on corners that don’t like to hit.

I’m sick of that game. It’s not any player or record that would drive me away from the Lions, but stupid sh-t like that. I’m very happy we have bigger backs now. Smash.

I’m with you on the need for better backs and a better running game. However I think you are off on a tangent that I dont agree with when it comes to “bigger” backs.

1 Like

We could have been better at running if we’d called more run plays instead of merely giving lip service. Bigger backs wear down defenders. Or at least get us a fullback that doesn’t get injured for the entire season…

2 Likes

I can see you have no real interest in discussion and would rather argue semantics… I clearly have articulated my point and you’ve brought nothing to the table except combativeness. Good day sir

There is a substantive difference between “games” and “attempts”. Are you saying THAT is semantics?

Funny because I felt you were being combative so I responded in kind. If I got your tone wrong, I’m sorry, but if I didn’t, then I’m not.

I mean, Are you telling me that there was absolutely no snark in: “Calvin was drafted in 2007”?

54% is not 2/3.

Then you go to “games”.

Not sure how you argue that that slight of hand wasn’t intentional.

Came here for the Kenny Golladay stat I was trying to find from Berry a few weeks ago… stayed for the ridiculousness.

Yes!!! Yes, that is semantics. Semantics, defined as the branch of linguistics and logistics concerned with meaning. I too am making a semantic argument right now. Mine is just aware of what the words in my sentence mean… semantically.

54% is a majority.

Welp, it’s been real… I, admittedly, don’t really have anything to contribute beyond that.

So is 50.1%.

Calvin had a terrible QB for most of his first 26 career games. These types of comparisons are meaningless. The only stat I like is Golladay’s drop rate!

Here, I fixed it for you.

No need to thank me.