Interesting Quarterback Stat

The top 5 quarterbacks in passing yardage this year ALL missed the playoffs. If Stafford wouldn’t have gone down, it would have most likely been the top 6.

This isn’t always the case, so it makes me wonder if the league is changing again. Guys like Brady, Jimmy G, Rodgers, Mahomes, Wentz, Wilson all barely got to the 4,000 yard mark this year while all making the playoffs.

2 Likes

Makes sense to me. Thinking always playing from behind against a prevent defense.

2 Likes

Definitely a factor.

Player stats are mostly meaningless when it comes to team success. The only stats that matter (shockingly) are points scored vs. points against.

2 Likes

That is some of it, but in the past, guys like Brees, Mahomes, Brady and Rodgers all threw for a million yards and still went to the playoffs and even won SBs. This year is kind of the outlier where most of the playoff QBs are right around the 4,000 yard mark.

2 Likes

I really like stafford but I honestly think I appreciate game managers more. I know I know, stick in the mud. Our offense showed we could win with one just this year if our defense didn’t…well…play offensively.

a control game QB with just a big enough arm to pop that long ball is all I’d need, and would be cheaper than the ‘qb with all the throws and a cannon’.

it’s fun to watch stafford but it’s obvious we just can’t win with him. not his fault, but we’ve had 11 years to see it.

1 Like

It has been a long ass time. Wow, how the years fly by.

I am guessing QBs with a lot of yards probably poor running games.

1 Like

Usually a combo of that and playing behind a lot. However, last year Mahomes threw for 5k and they also ran the hell out of it. If Hunt doesn’t get “removed” he runs for 1300 yards himself. The team ran it at a great rate too. Brees has had good running games as well.

yep I think those are smart qbs taking what is given as well. Generally a great air game means you’ll have success on the ground, and vice versa. we just can’t put that together.

2 Likes

A lot of teams substitute the short dump off pass for the running game. The Lions have done this since Stafford has been here. That is a big reason why he has so many yards all the time. Lions fans bemoan the fact that the Lions do not have a top 10 running game, but the short passes have taken the place of the run game; throwing for a lot of yards does not make a QB a HOF candidate.
I think the trend in the NFL might be going the other way again in the run game.

1 Like

yep, the WCO had that as a staple, basically a 5 yard ‘handoff’. Just a bunch of little nibbles here and there, 17 plays tons of time off the clock and when the D gets greedy and tries to cram in, pop over the top.

except for mooches WCO (or wet toast offense, in detroit). he had the old school version still and didn’t change.

I remember we had a 1st and 10 and completed 3 passes, and had to punt. that’s…dumb.

2 Likes

We have almost never had a good OC, for sure. We have almost never had a good OL either. Terrible OL means can’t run, and get rid of ball early or die.

Always more than meets the eye on this stuff.

1 Like

Love to see where the top ten runners and their respective teams fall

Brees & Mahomes missed a lot of games because of injuries. They would have been 1-2 with over 5K passing yards if not for the injuries. This is a meaningless topic with cherry picked stats.

3 Likes

Mahomes missed 2 games. No way he was going to throw for 1000 yards in 2 games. Fake.

The post was more about the top 5 guys who did lead the league in passing yardage and how they all missed the post season.

3 Likes

we also had 11 years of a circus sideshow at GM, HC, and leadership and our defense was top 5 / top 10 how many times in 11 years , Stafford was getting mauled behind shit O-lines , AND we had a crap running game Excuses??? NO facts. and in 2019 Stafford WAS kicking ass despite any and all of our problems as a team , UNTIL our Medical Staff & Stafford decided it was ‘wiser’ to pull Stafford and get his back worked on so Matt can play healthier in 2020.

2 Likes

And cue the excuses…

Yes to all of this, bro. Truth is usually somewhere in the middle. I personally feel we were around an 8-9 win team with a healthy matt, especially if officials were unbiased. Our season started to unravel after the Packer game. You could see the dejection on our guys’ faces, and I don’t think they ever fully recovered from it.

Opinions…just like yours - keep it to football, remember?