Interesting Quarterback Stat

He missed 11 quarters. He only attempted 11 passes vs Denver and was injured. He would have easily been top 5 and Brees as well.

FYI, it’s football. Guys play hurt and miss time. Again, you’re missing the point of the thread. If you don’t find it interesting that the top 5 guys in passing yardage all missed the playoffs, that’s fine. I did. Move on.

Interestingly enough we actually were a fairly balanced offense when Staffford was healthy from a playcalling perspective. It just shows how well Bevell’s offense suits Staffords skills. We just need more from our RB’s and TE’s to help our 3rd down conversions. Offense should be fun to watch next year if Staff stays healthy. Part of the reason we struggled to put games away was the inability to grind out the clock by running the ball - most of the Playoff teams could do that.

I didn’t miss your point. The league is not changing. The only reason Brees & Mahomes are not in the top 5 in passing yards is because of injuries. Both are in the playoffs.

Roethlisberger is injured too and he is always in the top 5-10 in passing yards and Pitt are in the playoffs more often than not. They almost made it this year with a 3rd string QB.

1 Like

Having a good QB is a big factor, but it ain’t the only factor. Generally if your defense sucks then so do you.

2 Likes

Having a top 10 running game is often an indicator of a playoff team too.

I’d bet good money if we ended up with a top 10 running game we’d screw it up and be 6-10.

1 Like

Interesting stat. Despite the shift to more passing over the past couple of decades, winning football is still all about running the football and stopping the run. The more physical team usually wins. Running the ball involves so much less risk than throwing.

It’s a stat . I think has no merit and is strictly coincidence .

More telling is you really can not compete without a Defense. The more points you have to score as an offense to get the win the more you are likely to pass , the more you are likely to make mistakes .
12 teams make the playoffs , 20 stay home . Defense…9 of the top 12 Defenses in football (Points allowed) made the playoffs and the 4 teams with bye weeks all in the top 10 .

Sacks only 3 of the top 12 QB’s as far as being sacked made the playoffs…Watson , Wilson and Allen (more a an issue with the style and offense of these 3)

If you were an AFC Team you went to the playoffs this year if you had an above 500 season
In you were an NFC Team the only team to miss the playoffs with a winning season was the Rams at 9-7
20 teams missed the playoffs , 19 of them could not win more games then they lost .

That was Harrington’s specialty.