Interesting read on why all the resignings for the Lions in free agency

Nate’s bummed that we haven’t been more active in FA.

1 Like

In a perfect world, you only use FA as a band aid to replace players you can’t or don’t want to resign.
Ideally. That would be 1-3 players on short term contracts until you get the next rookie class up to speed.

I hear ya. I don’t want the lions to spend to spend. I really don’t known WHO they would bring in. DJ is a great deal. They aren’t locked up long term and he is so much better then Williams and perriman. I’m tired of the BQ era where we signed a lot of “who” and got Nadda really from them. I’m able to sit back and wait bc I trust the regime. I trust most of the heavy lifting will be done in the draft and I trust in player development. The people they brought back were not bad last year. Harris had a career year, can he continue to improve? Walker salvaged his career, Evan brown was a find. Raymond played way above his weight class. Reynolds is part of the offensive turn around…if you wanna call it that….

I’m trying a new approach and also I respect the crap out of ya so hey, I get it. It’s annoying. I’m just not seeing the FA worth having. I get wanton Robinson and Williams but not at 20 plus. Seemed like everyone was getting big money. Campbell in Green Bay etc….lots of money going around. If this is the philosophy every year I’ll be bummed. But if we have a good draft I’ll feel better. Regardless of what they do this offseason I expected 6-7 wins next year. Depending on schedule, growth, player acquisition they win more maybe. I am not seeing anyone out there that was going to add 3 wins to this team. Chark helps……but I appreciate the time and effort to respond……

This feels weird being nice……

3 Likes

One of the primary mantras that I have heard over the years is that you fill your holes in FA and build your team through the draft. It’s been stated over and over, but I’ve never seen it work here. But that’s the past.

This is what Brad and Co. are doing. They are filling their holes with guys they know and saw buy in and improve…continuity. They are going to bring in draft picks to fill the roster with talent that fits what they are trying to do. Yes they will bring in outside help, but it’s not the splash moves that we have seen in the past. They’re not at that point yet, I’ve been on the 2023 big splash wagon for awhile.

They are trying to get the wheel of this franchise moving forward where they are bringing in talent that they can keep and not have to repeatedly fill holes form bad picks. They have to draft well, there’s no getting around it.

Two big things stand out about this method that frustrates fans.

1. It’s slower - Fans have seen quick turnarounds by other clubs, why should Lions fans have other expectations?
  2. They have to draft well - This is the bigger concern for fans. The Lions just have had notoriously bad drafts and wasted picks with previous regimes. 2011 anyone?

I personally like the approach that Dan and Brad are taking under Shelia. I’ve never seen it succeed, so I’m extremely curious if we have the right crew to get it done. I for one believe they will.

This is such a HUGE offseason for them. It’s up to them.

1 Like

With the exception of Walker, all the players signed are all basically one year gap players (some with the option of a 2nd year), used to plug holes without mortgaging the future too badly.

2 Likes

It needs a brush…
shad

2 Likes

LOLOLOL. So good. Agree w/your take, man.

1 Like

Make sure not to piss off The Godfather, fellas. You’ll put me in a “unique” situation, if he has to “call in a favor”/life debt.

1 Like

It’s not thrift shopping brother.

Many of these free agents are the pretty girl dancing on the stage in the dark bar… LOOK AT ME- and drunk guys who lack creativity line up to buy here drinks. She’s there every Thursday, and she’s leaving with none of them. She’s leaving with her roommate that is once again annoyed to be wallflower-ing again.

That is until some smart guy notices the nerdy but cute roommate who isn’t trying at all, and she’s happy to leave with him to get back at her roommate for dragging her there again…. Natty knows what I’m talking about. Lol

Marcus Williams did his damage while opposing QBs were running for their life against Cam Jordan and company.

Christian Kirk had modest stats for a guy opposite some threats and with Murray buying time and chucking downfield to him.

I agree that this wasn’t exciting, but it also didn’t piss me off. Rick Wagner- 5th round talent, one decent year starting- 45M??? Big V- couldn’t start in Philly, but sure let’s give him 50M…. Trey Flowers was a modest college player, a 7 sack guy in the NE system, and we gave him 90M

If the WR depth and added talent helps take heat off Hock, and he rolls for 900-1,000 yards and 6-8tds, then he’s gonna get 60M…. If that happens I hope it’s with us…

If AO has another 5/6 ints and starts taking on top WRs, he’s gonna get 50/60M, and I hope it’s here.

• If we get 4,400 yards with 28 tds and 10 ints from Goff… then we have the opportunity to extend him and lessen his cap burden in 23 and 24’.

Von Miller got 120M- are they stoned? 18M G for next 3 years…. He’s 33

When guys like Kirk and Berrios get what they got and we paid what we did for Chark and Raymond, I’m pumped.

2 Likes

I think it can be summarized like this. Yes you misunderstood his position. And no you guys are not on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I will say it like this, using a house analogy. We have the ugliest house in the neighborhood. Nate is disappointed that we kind of just swept and cleaned the house, rather than spend some money to improve it. Do SOMETHING…ANYTHING! New landscaping. A new deck. Whatever, it doesn’t matter. Just push forward. But you took it as him saying he wants to do EVERYTHING. Using the house analogy, that’s like going all out on a big money total rebuild/remodel of the house, all at the same time. That’s not his position. And you can tell that’s not his position, because he poked fun at the people down the street that had the next ugliest house but spent big bucks on some “okay” upgrades (Jags).

1 Like

I think your entire post is a fair perspective. Nate and I both want the same results and are similar: How many people are willing to invest millions of keystrokes in the Lions? We’re an endangered species and we gotta stick together.

Continuing with the house analogy, I think it does matter what you do. I want to fix the crumbled foundation now before the landscaping and deck.

The continuity and further entrenchment of the culture Holmbell and Friends are establishing are paramount to sustained success, IMO. You can’t buy culture like Quintricia tried to with Trey Flowers. It’s a multi-year process, though we got an incredible jumpstart this past year. I don’t remember players coming so enthusiastically back to a team with such a dismal record. Once people stop laughing at the LOLions, they take notice.

So I’m fine with the off-season baby step #1 of resigning young players who embody that culture. Baby step #2 is drafting talent that meshes with that culture. I’m geeked.

2 Likes

Even builders have a timeline they have to meet. If it takes a builder 2 years to set the foundation then he’s not a very good builder and I’d worry about the rest of his work as well.

They did. They got a new shiny bobble for Goff.

LOL

College Sports Sport GIF by LSU Tigers

Sorry. It was a fit of sarcasm. Somehow I was just reminded of all the nits commenting similarly for the past 12 years.

1 Like

It’s about establishing long term team culture. Campbell signed a 7 yr deal for a reason. All these players brought back very likely fully embraced Campbell and bought in. You have these players around with that buy in mentality to rub off on new draftees. You don’t want to bring in a veteran from a winning program who has saw other ways and might buck against some of what Campbell wants to do.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.