Is Brad Holmes becoming the next great GM?

extending FOX. :wink:

Brad is rocking it. Can’t wait to see what he does this off-season with so much capital.

In subsequent years he can hopefully draft 2 - 3 new starters annnually and then fill our back up positions with players who can learn for a year or two before we need them. This keeps us from having to overspend for our own FAs. Having a loaded roster also keeps us from spending too much on outside FAs. How many horrific FA deals have we signed that just cripple us?

As long as Minny Weezy keeps swallowing what Brad gives him to swallow, I like our chances.

1 Like

Franchise changing draft

Holmes is on :fire:

3 Likes

TWSS… @BigNatty

2 Likes

I like what Brad has done so far, and eventually as he builds this roster we’ll need to resign our own talent which will be quite the culture change from previous regimes. Former GM’s didn’t draft well and we had to sign FA players to make up the difference. I think the FA signings will be less than anticipated in future years. Having DC as our coach will help keep them in the big D as players love him.

4 Likes

Levi has played 396 snaps of football in the past 3 years.

Sat out 2020 as a COVID opt out.

Played in a backup role with no starts in 2021.

Playing zero snaps this season.

I see little reason to be optimistic.

1 Like

If Levi is a bust, which at this time it looks that way, are you saying this 2nd round pick will keep Brad from being a great GM?
Do you know how many busts came from the 2021 draft in the first 3 rounds? Too many to list at this time, remember, some players took the year off, some teams played 1/2 the year. 2021 is a once in a lifetime year for evaluating talent. Brad did extremely well considering the Covid year as well as putting together a new staff and scouts.
Look at the picks from this past draft above, each of them has seen the field, what other team can say that?

4 Likes

Nope.

Outside of DE-OLB Azeez Ojulari as an alternative at No. 41, I don’t really see any other fits.

CB Samuel’s good, but small (Parker-sized) and not a scheme fit.

TE Freiermuth didn’t make sense given they already had Hockenson.

OT Eichenberg didn’t make sense given they picked Sewell in Rd 1 & already had Decker.

Maybe JOK or Bolton, but Holmes doesn’t seem to value drafting LBs high, so either of those wouldn’t have fit his philosophy.

What would be huge for us is if he can get another solid starter on day three next year. St Brown has been outstanding and Rodrigues way better than anyone could have anticipated.

A solid starting right guard or slot corner on day three would be another fantastic building block to go with the two guys, Sewell, Hutch, McNeill, Kirby, Jamo and our two firsts this year.

3 Likes

My ongoing hope is that they don’t fall into the trap of giving out huge contracts to free agents. They rarely rarely pay off. Maybe once they are right on the cusp taking that kind of shot makes sense. Not before.

4 Likes

Yes I agree. I would rather they get three or four guys in that $10 million per year range rather than one or two in the $20 million range. Those expensive guys just don’t seem to work out for the Detroit Lions. Other teams? Yes. But not us. Seems like they come here just to get paid. Damien Woody, I’m looking in your direction.

2 Likes

I guess I should have thrown in that IMO they should avoid multiyear deals like that. More Chark-like deals and repeat as necessary.

Can you imagine if they had given Chark 3/35?

2 Likes

Antonio Bryant
Luke Willson
Rick Wagner
Jesse James
Desmond Trufant
Trey Flowers

Imo, he’ll become a great GM when more than half the team is available on game day.
I love our players, but, we have aquired way too many injured players.

A new field turf would be a good start. Sheila can’t afford not to if our injury rate could be improved by such a minor expense in relation to the % cap on IR.

WAY too early to say. He has hit well on many draft picks, which is great.

His free agency work has been subpar if not entirely ineffective (maybe he didn’t have the freedom to spend, I don’t know).

His 2nd-round picks so far have been mindbogglingly unlucky and/or bad decisions.

I disagree, but am curious how you got here.

From my perspective they had essentially no free cap space to work. He kept things going with essentially no commitments beyond this year.

Good signings*: Jamal Williams, Charles Harris, Raymond, Anzalone, Hughes, Board, Elliott, Buggs, Reynolds, Reynolds

Bad signings*: Tyrell Williams, Perriman, Chark

*Considering both usage and money involved, not considering re-signed free agents nor players not re-signed

3 Likes

I just haven’t seen him play to be honest. How many snaps has he played this year!?

I’d add Evan Brown, Justin Jackson, and John Cominsky, to that list as well. For the money each of these guys is currently making they are outperforming their value.

1 Like