Is Detroit the worst city for pro sports?

He was talking about the concept that not making the playoffs is a bad thing. But we’ve seen the fans on this board say they’d rather miss the playoffs unless we make the playoffs in a certain way that they approve of. So for them, this is a great season. We’ll get an earlier draft pick, which is what the goal every franchise should have.:upside_down_face:

To answer the topic title. At this snapshot of time, yes they are the worse. But there are far worse cities for sports in a greater space of time. Been blessed to see many championship banners hung here in SW Mich. The Lions are the only wet fart not to take part.

The Pistons should really blow it up and be sellers at the deadline. I’d get rid of Griffin,Rose & Drummond. Then I’d tank for a lottery pick.

I’d keep Dre but he’s a free agent and unlikely to re-sign anyways.

This land of mediocrity and getting blown away in the first round had got to stop.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the Lions domain.

1 Like

I remember those exact words were said by nearly every Lions fan at one point. Then we went thru the Matt Millen era! Give me back my mediocrity!!! LOL

4 Likes

I was gonna say the same thing as wes…if we are only talking about one season geezus…:man_facepalming:t6::man_facepalming:t6::man_facepalming:t6::man_facepalming:t6:

I would say you can say “suck”, but if it is a legitimate rebuild than it’s just bad timing that all teams are in rebuilding mode. I would say that there is hope for Tigers in future if ownership follows through with rebuild. If Tigers rebuild works correctly, you end up with a young, talented team due to the fire sale and all the great draft picks, and you feel in the gap with free agents once Mr. I Jr. starts spending money again. The rebuild was inevitable with the contracts of Prince Fielder, Verlander still on the books, and the giant contract of aging (still love him) Cabrera. If they fail to follow through with rebuild, than they are failure. Pistons tried to be a good team but ended up being a 500 team at best, and now they are rebuild mode, WIngs are probably 2 years away from being good with Steve Y in charge, and Lions are the Lions. It’s bad now, but it will get better as it always has with the Wings, Pistons, & Tigers. There are 18 world championships with the Wings, Pistons, and Tigers. The Wings were the dead wings before they had there quarter of a century run, Pistons were really bad before the Isiah Thomas and company era, and then average again and then champs Going to Work era, and now they need to strike lightning in a bottle again. Tigers won second most games in the 80’s of all MLB, lost most in 90’s in MLB, were bad in early 2000’s, and were one of the top couple franchises from 2006 until about 2014 or 2015. So, things are cynical in sports in Detroit except the Lions are almost always bad.

2 Likes

EN3GKbxXsAE46FD

1 Like

It’s alright to rebuild, but once you do for God’s sakes have a worthwhile GM and HC in place at bare minimum. unlike the Lions that just like to tank for draft picks or some $#!7.

Cyndoden interesting stat, but I’m sorry it’s a little overrated. Take into consideration, the Tigers spent almost 200 million or more per year for close to a decade. They are the 14th or 15th largest media sports market in North America, so that makes them a mid to small Market when you consider that NYC & LA have 2 MLB in each market, 3 NHL in NYC market, 2 NHL LA, 2 NBA NYC & 2 NBA LA, 2 NFL LA & 2 NFL NYC. Chicago 2 MLB. Bay Area 2 MLB. My point is that bottoming out is fine if there is light at end of tunnel. Remember 2003 Tigers and 2006 Tigers. Remember Pistons 1980 21-61. Detroit by it being a colder rust belt city, it won’t attract the superstar free agents in there prime, so they have to sometimes hit rock bottom before they can move to the top. This excludes the Lions which is a bad franchise!

Yep and it’s probably Stafford’s fault. Lols

Remember that time when the Red Wings were the Yankees and Patriots of their sport. And they grabbed damn near every stud that came their way.

I call pish-posh, just a sports lull. I’d rank Detroit just below NYC and Chicago as the richest sports history in the land.

BitterSyd, you are right that the Wings often outspent other franchises. The NY Rangers were spending as much as us during non salary cap era, but we spent wiser than NY Rangers. Detroit Red Wings one of best fan bases as well no biggest media market. I attribute that heavily to original 6 franchise, close proximity to Canada with American market, and Hockey is a little different than other sports. There is now a salary cap in hockey which we don’t have that advantage anymore. Answer this question. Name me free agents in there prime who signed with one the big four sports teams in Detroit? Tigers as a free agent (We signed Prince Fielder in his supposed to be prime, but be honest that he came here because Tigers offered like 50 million than anyone else). I’m not saying trade. I’m not saying past prime like Brett Hull, Gary Sheffield, or Luke Robitaille.

Where’s the blue collar value in sports ? Outside guys are controlling

Well Cabrara and Flowers come to mind, but FA’s will follow the $ no matter if its LA, NYC or Timbuktu.

Still stand behind our sports history as being legendary. Oh, and welcome to the board DL.

1 Like

BitterSyd You are right about Flowers. Good job. Marlins traded Cabrera to the Tigers in 2007, the **Marlins traded Cabrera and starting pitcher Dontrelle Willis to the Detroit for pitchers Andrew Miller, Dallas Trahern, Eulogio De La Cruz and Burke Badenhop, outfielder Cameron Maybin, and catcher Mike Rabelo. Cabrera wasn’t a free agent. And thanks for the welcome BItterSyd. Enjoy the chats with my fellow Detroit fans and the mini sparring session debates as well!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would include Boston in there too, maybe even at the top.

Hartford, CT checking in…

1 Like

Such a cool logo.

1 Like

Best use of negative space in a hockey logo in sports history, courtesy Peter Good, who is STILL ROCKING IT IN CONNECTICUT, design-wise. 

1 Like