Is Glasgow worth the franchise tag?

I’d say it’s very possible a team steps up and grossly overpays. I’m shocked every year by a contract or two. Someone always gets overpaid so why not GG. You also bring up an excellent point of the weak OG market. But the draft is fairly strong at OT.

My gut tells me that GG will be gone and that the Lions do not value him as strongly as the fans do. Time will tell.

2 Likes

This.

3 Likes

Nice to read a post like this! Refreshing and thanks to all!!

I’m no CAP guy either.

I hope we keep him as from a fans POV he seem to versatile and reliable …

But e lost a few recently I wanted us to keep and they went for the money… :cry:

Have a great day fellas!!

3 Likes

With the hole on defense, putting 15 million-16 million on GG is a bad idea. BQ most likely figured this day was coming and that is why he extended JD last summer to a team friendly deal and will most likely either look for a cheaper stop gap in FA or draft a replacement just as he did when he let warford walk and drafted GG.

1 Like

As a fan I want to keep Glasgow. He is one of the better pieces on our online.

I’m no salary cap guy either and even worse at monetary valuations. So here’s the rub for me…

Yes, we need to put a lot of money in our defense. No doubt about it. However our offense isn’t much better…most notably our lack of a run game and Stafford getting walloped week in and week out.

How can we not keep him? We’ve been struggling at the guard position for years. Now we have a good one that’s versatile as well…and we may not keep him due to his possible price tag?

How’s Warford doing?
This team has this history of letting good Linemen walk, and keeping crap olinemen, while developing rookies into good linemen, and letting them walk.
Glasgow deserves a raise.
We need a RT. Let’s concentrate on holes that we have.

2 Likes

Perhaps, this is one reason why the Lions are prepared to move on from Glasgow, who was the starter at RG, and/or RT Rick Wagner:

1 Like

100% . My concern is that we have so many holes to fill. Maybe they’re looking for bandaids, until we can properly address?

Lots of fans look at stats, but the way I see it is - just because Bevell is clever enough to use TEs and RBs in a way that gets it done, does not mean that we have a good OL, or that the run game can be better than 21st in the NFL.

Our O still works…cuz #9 is a baller, but it could be better, and we could protect him better.

While I’m far more concerned w/getting a big, nasty DT, some pressure off the edge, and a top tier RB, OL is a definite area we can improve.

Lots of x-factors this offseason. Lots to be determined.

I think there’s a lot of building to do yet, and I know this isn’t what anyone wants to hear, but I don’t think our coaches are on a hot seat…more a luke warm seat.

Ever see a bandaid with blood seeping through? The wound is still there.

1 Like

So when you get into a motorcycle accident

1. They make sure you will live
  2. They try to save as much of your body as possible
  3. They get body parts working again
  4. They help manage pain
  5. They help you to fix cosmetic stuff and try to minimize scar tissue, while getting you back to as functional as possible.

This team may be on step 3…mayyyybe. So yeah, there’s probably some blood leaking through the bandaid (with OL).
DL is avoiding having to apmutate the right arm, and trying to seee to it that you can walk again.

Great analogy!

It usually doesn’t take 60 years, though.:grin:

1 Like

If BQ franchise tags Glasgow then you might as well give up any hope if you still have some left.

My guess is that your calculation is going to turn out to be right in the end. With all due respect to Air, I believe that he is undervaluing what the market for a player like GG will be. While he may not be a top 5 OG in the league, I believe that he is a top 10 one. I could see something like this:

4 year $42 Mill, 20 mill guaranteed
2020 Signing bonus of 12 Mill (charged over 3 years) and Salary of 5 Mill, cap hit of 9 mill
2021 Salary of 7 mill, cap hit of 12 Mill
2022 Salary of 8 Mill, cap hit of 13 mill
2023 Salary of 9 Mill, cap hit of 9 Mill

Avg Annual cap hit of 10.25 mill

The real question is will the Lions be the ones that offer him that deal or another team. My gut says the Lions will be the ones, but there are no guarantees.

1 Like

I agree with the numbers you’re projecting.

I hope the Lions pay him. He deserves it and that’s what you’re supposed to do when you draft and develop good players.

You don’t let Glasgow walk and then try to sign Scherff for a similar amount unless Scherff is a huge upgrade, which I don’t think he is.

I’m holding out hope the Lions do the right thing here, but I have a feeling they’ll pinch their pennies and this will be another Warford situation.

LOL! I have been rehabbing for 18 years. :wink:

We need a medical miracle for our team. LOL.

1 Like

And I sure don’t know the cure. I’m really not sure there is one at this point?
Some cases are terminal, and this could very well be one.

1 Like

We also need to be aware that there are two players here not just one.

Is it Glasgow or Wagner or both?

I’m still leaning towards keeping Glasgow

Definitely Glasgow over Wagner for me.

I was so excited about that Wagner signing when it happened. He’s been a complete turnstyle in pass protection and hasn’t been even close to what I expected in the run game. I’m not a pro scout, but he’s been extremely underwhelming. I’d be happy to move on from Wagner.

2 Likes

Like I said it wouldn’t shock me if an OL needy team overpaid for him but I doubt the Lions will pay him 10+ mil a year. The Lions have made no effort to resign him so they obviously do not feel he’s worth it.

I have a feeling we’re going to be drafting a rookie OG in round 2 or 3.

1 Like

Wagners been a total bust and hasn’t lived up to his contract. The Lions really should move on and look to upgrade but it wouldn’t shock me if we wait a year. We have a ton of holes to fill and that may give Wagner a pass this offseason. Personally I’d send him packing.

2 Likes