Is Goff fixable?

IMO, the refs called a lot of holding because the Lions held a lot. The ones I saw on replays looked valid to me. I thought Jonah Jackson should have been called for holding on our first TD pass. I know “they could call holding on every play”, but there’s gotta be a line somewhere–unless you’re the Legion of Doom or wear Green and Yellow…

1 Like

“He didn’t play “decent” or “not too bad.” He played well. Period. Especially given the massive handicaps he’s saddled with on the field and on the sidelines”

Let’s not get carried away here, he passed for 170 yards, lol.

1 Like

100%, Some of those calls were warranted. The issue is they weren’t calling the bears for them as well and that was the point of Goff going off on the refs after. It isn’t that they were holding, it is that it was one-sided.

1 Like

But he wasn’t given many opportunities. IMO Swift in the passing game was a huge part of the game plan. When he went out we were (even more) rudderless.

Regardless it was a game by Goff though.

It was his best game of the season, I’ll give him that. We need more shots downfield like the one to Reynolds! Pretty bad when your best WR was picked up on waivers 2 weeks ago.

yup, and it speaks to trust. He trusts Reynolds bc of their time together in LA. And it’s not like we are talking about a 1 wr. We are talking about a 3/4 wr. He doesn’t trust the lions wr’s…can you really blame him?

2 Likes

Bet he seemed willing to take shots. I think Dan was coaching a conservative game (which made some sense IMO) and Goff was doing what his coach wanted.

If we can get that Goff 80% of the time and get him better weapons then we might have something.

2 Likes

My gosh folks?!

He just played the best game of the season yesterday: 9-9 at one point!!

It’s showed that he needed Josh Reynolds or simply a go to WR!

If the defense- which overall played well - was mentally tougher and wanted it more on that last drive we win…

Goff was not the reason for yesterday’s loss….

Goff looked freaking great yesterday

2 Likes

I agree, and he seemed to have a bit of a connection with Cephus early in the season as well. Cephus is 6’2 and Reynolds 6’3 I believe. He clearly likes the taller WR’s, most of the Lions current healthy WR’s are smurfs unfortunately.

2 Likes

Goff likes NFL caliber WRs. Brandin Cooks had a 1200 yard season with Goff.

The Lions just don’t have any guys who run good routes and get openly right now. Reynold’s performance yesterday even though he hasn’t practiced with Goff really AND this offense does very little to scheme guys open shows some major problems this offense has right now.

There were at least 5 times or so yesterday when I was saying, “OK run some play action and throw the ball down the field.” Campbell didn’t do that on any of the opportunities that I saw yesterday.

Fair point, we don’t have many of those, lol

agreed. He excels historically with PA…the cupboards are bare at WR. There is a lack of trust between him and the wr’s and the OC prior (lynn) and he and even between him and the HC…if he isn’t being allowed to audible out of plays at the line of scrimmage.

So, I sometimes wonder if the glee with every Rams loss is more to do with Goff than magic beans.

If McVay loses with Stafford, maybe there’s some who think “OK, maybe McVay is the problem, and we may have something in Goff.”

I’d understand this subconscious rationale. Goff is a LION and deserves our support as a result. Plus, I think we all sort of feel for the guy. I know that I do.

But I think any objective observer would conclude Goff isn’t the answer. He’s consistently late on throws, tosses wobblers, has made atrocious decisions, isn’t accurate, etc etc. I’d grant him one more year in Detroit unless we can make magic happen with a trade for another veteran (Wilson?), or think a Mariota is a big enough upgrade, and find a QB in the draft we can let learn the ropes.

2 Likes

Realistically speaking I’m pretty sure nobody was picking this years Lions to be the scourge of the league, I guess some of us had hoped for 7-8 win season, lotta things went south

But I would ask some of the negative posters, how many games did your QB bring you from behind only to lose on the opponents last possession?

Some against playoff caliber teams

Fixable?

I’d say yes

1 Like

I can’t believe that Lynn’s offense has looked NOTHING like the Chargers did over the previous 4 years.

I was hopeful that he would use the same route concepts… because many posters here have discussed the way the Chargers utiliized vertical routes to clear out coverage. Some of the vertical routes they ran also were complimentary to another vertical route.

Looking at this video of 2020 Hunter Henry highlights shows that Lynn brought nothing from LA. Maybe he lost his playbook???

Anyhow… the OC from LA… Shane Steichen… is now in Philly… who has the 8th ranked scoring offense… after being 26th last year.

2 Likes

Yeah. I don’t really get why folks keep pointing to the LAC offenses when Lynn wasn’t the OC.

3 Likes

Glad U added the last sentence. The only real glimpse of Lynn’s philosophy is from his days as OC in Buffalo. From recollection only, it was old school, 3 yards and a cloud.

Lynn was only the OC for 1 season with Buffalo (not even a full season). This is what his offense did:

3 September 25 Arizona Cardinals W 33–18 1–2 New Era Field Recap
4 October 2 at New England Patriots W 16–0 2–2 Gillette Stadium Recap
5 October 9 at Los Angeles Rams W 30–19 3–2 Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Recap
6 October 16 San Francisco 49ers W 45–16 4–2 New Era Field Recap
7 October 23 at Miami Dolphins L 25–28 4–3 Hard Rock Stadium Recap
8 October 30 New England Patriots L 25–41 4–4 New Era Field Recap
9 November 7 at Seattle Seahawks L 25–31 4–5 CenturyLink Field Recap
10 Bye
11 November 20 at Cincinnati Bengals W 16–12 5–5 Paul Brown Stadium Recap
12 November 27 Jacksonville Jaguars W 28–21 6–5 New Era Field Recap
13 December 4 at Oakland Raiders L 24–38 6–6 Oakland Alameda Coliseum Recap
14 December 11 Pittsburgh Steelers L 20–27 6–7 New Era Field Recap
15 December 18 Cleveland Browns W 33–13 7–7 New Era Field Recap
16 December 24 Miami Dolphins L 31–34 (OT) 7–8 New Era Field Recap
17 January 1 at New York Jets L 10–30 7–9 MetLife Stadium Rec

Lynn took over after week 2 when Greg Roman was fired… so there could have been a sliver of hope that the Bills offense was a product of HC Rex Ryan wanting “ground and pound”… and Greg Roman implementing his same run heavy Kaepernick scheme in training camp… hoping that Tyrod Taylor’s mobility would be good enough to duplicate the formula that Harbaugh’ 49ers used to get to a Super Bowl.

That obviously didn’t work.

And you know the absurdly limiting context for those 170 yds, so why pretend not to? Goff hasn’t always played even his limited hand well, but in THIS game he did - and with a #1 receiver they just picked up off waivers.