Is OT a "need"?

Cutting Dahl, who hasn’t signed on anywhere, doesn’t change anything to me. $250,000 in dead money, they could do vet minimum if they really wanted him back.

I’m huge on Williams myself but I just don’t think it’s realistic. That dudes a stud and I’d love to have him.

Let me toss a guy out that should be available day 3 and who I think is a solid player. He better fits the role of a depth guy and will be available at a point I think is a realistic option for the Lions.

This ones for you @BigNatty … watch some of his highlights and let me hear your thoughts.

Jermar Jefferson

College: Oregon State
Height: 5’10"
Weight: 217

Year G ATT YDS YPC TDS REC YDS TDS
2018 12 239 1,380 5.8 12 25 147 0
2019 9 142 685 5.0 8 9 85 2
2020 6 133 858 6.5 7 9 67 0
Career 27 514 2,923 6.0 27 43 299
2 Likes

Do you still like him at 212 lbs?

1 Like

Nah … did he lose weight to improve his times?

He’s a stud and 8lbs doesn’t worry me anyway.

1 Like

As long as you like him at 212 it’s all good. If 212 is a deal breaker, I have some bad news for you.

2 Likes

I watched a little film on Jermar Jefferson and first impression was good. Can’t say I watched enough to feel real confident in that opinion… but looked promising to me.

2 Likes

Tell that to Jonah Jackson and Frank Ragnow. Both were solid as rookie o-linemen.

2 Likes

Ragnow and Jonah had plenty of struggles thier rookie years. Both were inconsistent but showed a lot of promise.

Take the time to watch more and I think you’ll be impressed. He isn’t anything special as a receiver and I view him more as a rotational player. But that kid can run.

1 Like

Very good post, several posters on this board need to be reminded of that often, including myself. This isn’t a one year fix. We have 4 more first rounders in 2022 and 2023. Take the most impactful player we can get @ 7 regardless of team needs. Don’t just draft a WR because we need them, Matt Millen would do that. Take the best player on the board!

Screw that I want everything fixed right now and a superbowl win this year.

We should just keep trading down and stock pile a zillion picks that way we can draft all these sleeper late rounders and fix everything all at once.

I mean, I guess that’s the mentality some people have? It’s one thing to trade down and still get the same high level player (Okudah) which I support. It’s entirely another to trade down and pass on an elite talent to take a few average guys, then I don’t support that at all.

1 Like

keep calm dream on GIF

I know you are kidding with that… but…

2 Likes

I totally agree, my point was they have a ton of needs but didn’t factor in next years picks in the process. I agree, this is a couple year process. I have no problem drafting a difference maker. IMO only Pitts, Sewell, and Chase a pure difference makers this draft. Time will tell though.

2 Likes

Bingo!

I’d rather have a difference maker in round one.

When I look at the draft I’m looking for difference makers who would have a fit.

I think those guys are Parsons and Smith. I could argue Sewell fairly easily.

If I can’t get those guys I’ll take a trade down and Surtain, Horn, Slater, Darrisaw etc.

2 Likes

some people on this board say QB is the only pick but if we don’t want the 2nd best OT why would we want the 4th or 5th best QB just sayin

1 Like

and if we can’t trade down then what i’m just asking the ?

I’d add Parsons to that list. I think he has all pro potential.

1 Like

It just seems the especially the last few drafts the grouping from 20 to 40 are grading out the same range. Very nice talent. Usually see several players that would be nice fits for the Lions.

There are several this year as well. I expect it to be the same next year.

I’d rather use a comp third next year coupled with second to move way back up than use our second this year and our second next. Just feel we’d sit here looking at the traded pick thinking: damn it be nice to have that one back with (insert name) still on the board.

Not saying I’m against using next year’s lower round picks if you can swing those for same round this year, since it seems to be a buyers market. Normally you can’t do those types of deals. Maybe it’ll be possible this year.

1 Like

Slater tested like Joe Thomas with a 4.8 forty and 33 bench reps at 6’4” and almost 310. I bet he settles in around 315 once he’s not training to run a 4.8 forty a s that will help his cause in anchoring at RT. Joe Thomas also had 33 in arms.

Slater allowed 5 pressures, NOT SACKS, PRESSURES! He allowed ZERO sacks and his 90 run blocking rating was tops!!! He locked down Chase Young, and can kick over to LT if there were an injury…

Flowers, Big V and Collins will cost 38M this year, and carry a collective dead cap hit of over 58M, so they are here in 21’. Hopefully all 3 return to 2019 form, and better coaching and a move back in to RG have me optimistic for Big V…

Both Flowers and Big V carry big dead cap hits in 22’ also, so while getting rid of their combined 28M cap hit seems appealing, it’s unlikely. It only costs us like 13M more to keep Flowers and Big V vs cut them and I doubt we can find a better DE and RG for 6.5M each. Collins does save us 7M by cutting him, so he’s gone in 22’!!!

So a 3 tech next to Brockers, 3 starting LBers, FS, CB, WR1, WR2, slot WR, RT, and maybe a rotational edge

LB x 3
WR x 3
RT
UT
FS
CB

That sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t at all if done properly.

That is 9 resources right there for 10 needs. BUT- I don’t consider WR2 or LB2, or LB3 needs in 2021…

Why? Ty Will or Permian will prove to be a WR2, hell Cephus might take a leap and play like a WR2 by season end. We need 800 yards from “one of them, and 700 from the other 2 combined. Pretty realistic.

We also have a LB2 in Collins for 2021, and between Anzalone and JRM we should have a 1 year filler at WLB (LB3)

We are in a rebuild and we can’t expect a “comfortable” starter at ever position, but we can call T Will, Collins and Anzalone starters for 21’…

So we NEED 7 players and we have 5 picks…

Free Agency? Sheldon Richardson, Golden Tate, Tre Boston, and Devondre Campbell or KJ Wright.

Just give me Boston and Campbell or Tate. Gotta be 2-4M 1 year deals there???

So now I NEED 4-5 players.

4 guys fill the BPA, and need boxes… Sewell, Parsons, Slater, J Chase. Either Sewell or Chase, or both likely gone.

So do I take Parsons then “a RT” in 2? Do I take Slater then Bolton in 2?

Or do I sign Campbell or KJ Wright now… draft Sewell or Slater, lock in my RT, and possibly LT 3-4 years from now. Protect Goff. Open up the run game. Create 3-4 years OL continuity??? Then draft a WR in 2, and then a MLB and a WR in 3, and a rush DT in 4…

1. Slater
  2. Marshall/E Moore
  3. D Moses/J Cox
  4. A Rodgers/N Collins
  5. OSA O- from UCLA or Cam Sample. UT
2 Likes