Is QB Now The Pick

I think he’s a player, but I don’t even think he is CB1. And if you aren’t clear CB1, I can’t see you going #6.

Now I’m wrong all the time (you would agree with that lol), but I don’t think any of these corners are top 10 talents.

Interesting, I’d say he’s CB1 caliber. Looking forward to the pro day numbers. CBs over 6’ and 200 lbs who can move like that don’t come around that often

3 Likes

I mean CB1 in this draft. I definitely think he has the ability to be a #1 Corner.

Ahh gotcha. However to that point Sauce wasn’t the number one corner in last years draft and he went top five

1 Like

I think we both would agree that both Stingley and Sauce were top 10 caliber prospects.

I agree. I’d say the same about Gonzo and Spoon but for Spoon not working out

They wouldn’t of been top 10 players in last years draft. Probably not even close. But sure, they might be among the top 10 in this class. Which after Anderson and Carter, lacks in top talent.

1 Like

But my point wasn’t the concept whether a DB is worthy of a number six pick. My point was, I keep reading he’s not a good fit for the Lions.

I just don’t see how - He’s tall, fast, an excellent leader and communicator, over 200 lbs. Can play man and zone and doesn’t shy away from contact.

2 Likes

I’m still hoping we draft Carter or Anderson. I was trying to get excited about T Wilson but watching the film, while showing a game wrecker with freaky long arms, doesn’t have a lot of explosion off the line

1 Like

My current top five in order, barring trade down:

Anderson
Carter
Gonzalez
Smith-Njigba
Skoronski

Then Robinson at 18

I’d put Witherspoon in there depending on what he does at his pro day, but yeah I think that’s essentially the short list if we end up staying at 6. I’m not counting Stroud, Young, or Richardson(still think we’re the perfect destination for him to develop) because they’ll be gone.

Agree but I heard he’s not going to run in his pro day but maybe do private workouts for individual teams

Yea sorry for the ones wanting QB @ 6. It’s my belief, that no way does BH want to put in Jared’s head that they have his replacement in the waiting on the team. That would put MUCH unneeded pressure and stress on Jared to perform, causing him to 2nd guess all the throws he makes. Not to mention take his focus off where we are going. BH has said how many times he is our guy? He wants to encourage that next deal if anything.

2 Likes

Yeah I kind of wish I knew how to gauge the importance of pro days and individual workouts. I’m assuming the individual workouts are more important because you can isolate an area that you might have specific question about.

I disagree. I think it would put a big chip on his shoulder and he’d perform even better. I’m not saying that’s the right move, but if Goff did “fold” like that then he really isn’t the QB of the future anyway and I would question his mental toughness.

2 Likes

I don’t think Goff would be personally affected if they picked a QB at 6. He seems to handle all that with aplomb.

The problem with picking a quarterback at six is, that’s our new quarterback. It pretty much guarantees Goff is gone after this year. You don’t pick a QB at six and give him 30 million dollars to sit on the bench multiple years or be traded.

I believe Holmes still thinks Goff might be the man. But if you take a QB at six, that ship has sailed

Another issue would be the media and fan boards. QB controversies are so 90’s. Do we really want to hear the howling for new baby boy every time Goff makes an errant throw? I can see the game threads now. Goff will have a game throwing 4 TDs with a 110 Rating and the one pass he underthrows there will be dozens of posts demanding we replace him

6 Likes

Eventually that may happen, but not in 2023. Fans are morons but the QBs in question at 6 are projects and everyone knows it.

QB only becomes a problem if Goff continues to get better. And that’s not a bad problem to have imo.

Not necessarily. I think teams are less likely to keep a QB, even drafted in the top 10, if they just feel like “hey this guy clearly won’t be a franchise QB”. It’s the Josh Rosen/Kyle Wilson effect.

And Trey Lance. This is a good point you are bringing up. Teams are less likely today to stick by their guns just because they picked someone high.

The 6th pick is a bonus for Detroit and Seattle. There is little risk in swinging for the fences there. The draft is weak at the top and both teams have 3 more picks inside the top 55.

1 Like

would bE SO good for him & our franchise

Just like with JaMoss last year! Holmes is next level.

1 Like