Is Rodrigo really a starting LB?

I think the kid was a steal but is he one of our starting LB’s going forward or do we try to upgrade if possible?

1 Like

Every position is open for upgrade. Straight from the Detroit lions haters mouth of Dan Campbell.

8 Likes

I like him alot but you either have Micah Parsons or you don’t. So whenever you see a chance to upgrade you do it.

7 Likes

#JusticeforBarnes

2 Likes

He’s a good, young player… That being said, I think he’s probably the 2nd or 3rd worst player on defense at this point, I’d absolutely look to upgrade the position.

1 Like

I like the kid but he’s just not an every down LB in my book. When they drafted him they were looking at him as a ST guy. It’s the lack of play by the other LB’s that left the door wide open for him to walk through.

I’m looking for a taller, more athletic type LB (that can cover & blitz) to be drafted this year. Sanders would be perfect for that role this year. Bring him in on passing downs to blitz or cover.

3 Likes

in 2021… we started or played sooooo many guys that don’t belong on NFL rosters it was comical…

• Some of them posted stats because the were on the field, and thus we got the Charles Harris contract, the AO expectations (me included) or the cute little bits of hope tied to the likes for Netflix and AJ Parker… At one point or another we had K Hodge, T Kennedy, B Wright, T Boyle, Netflix, Iggy, Jermar Jefferson, AJ Parker, AO, J Reeves- Maybin and countless others playing meaningful snaps- guys that really don’t belong on NFL offenses or defenses- maybe special teams? Maybin-

in 2022- the got much better… period

in 2023- right now we question Rodrigo, Buggs, David Montgomery, Josh Reynolds, Okudah, and B Wright as our “weakest starters!” … Really think about that!!! WE ONLY HAVE 6 GUYS THAT ARE QUESTIONABLE STARTERS-

Lets say they sign Chark (kind of looking that way?)… Lets say they draft a RB in 2… Lets say they draft a DT in round 1-2? Let’s say they go LB in round 1-3… Lets say they draft a TE in rounds 2-3…

Chark- WR

J Carter- DT- #6
Jack Campbell- #18
Darnell Washington- #48
Darius Rush- # 55
Tajae Spears or Chase Brown- #81

Rounds 5-6 I would even consider taking 2 QBs and 1 backup OL player- make sure we get a legit backup…

To answer the question asked- I think we have good enough players, and committed enough players at every spot but TE and DT to overcome one injury and still put NFL caliber players on the field… MOST TEAMS CANNOT SAY THAT- I feel fine with Rodrigo’s floor starting… AA’s too… I think Rodrigo will be Stephen Tulloch-

I want a MONSTER at LB though

1 Like

Rodrigo had a good year. Not a great year. But I’d expect improvement in his sophomore year. He can get swallowed up against bigger players. So, yeah, always look to upgrade. But he’ll get his snaps this year and going forward. He might ultimately be a depth piece or he could take a leap to become a strong starting LB. Jury is still out,

But our LB situation is much better than it was just two years ago.

We had the 47th (Rodrigo), 48th (Barnes), and 53rd(AA) rated LB’s last year according to PFF.

3 Likes

It’s almost like if someone isn’t a pro-bowl guy then its questionable whether he’s good or not. Not everyone will be “great”, and thats ok. Like, Alim McNeil. Either one of these guys could end up being “great” but it’s not needed. They are good pieces to the puzzle. Rodrigo, IMO, played like a above average to good LB. As a rookie. He’s solid.

3 Likes

No. We didnt address it.

I mean Rodrigo doesn’t have a super high ceiling IMO but we shouldn’t actively look to replace him.

I dont think thats what @Snags was addressing. Sutton wasn’t a pro bowler and people loved that signing. Pro bowl or not , is LB the weakest on the defense side?

1 Like

Ask yourself this question.

How many teams would Rodrigo have started for last year in the nfl besides the Lions!?

I’d say under 5 teams. Probably only a couple teams IMO.

Love the guy, great pick for 6th round, but if we can upgrade, then ■■■■■■■ do it! Rodrigo would be a great special teamer and depth at backer.

2 Likes

Scream Driving GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

For a rookie I thought he was pretty damn good. And….I expect a jump in his next season.

Would be crazy imo to try and draft another LBer to replace him. But we also know that the best players will be playing. My money is on Rodrigo starting.

1 Like

I don’t think you draft another linebacker to replace him, you just draft another linebacker.

Team can’t go into the season with Anzalone, Barnes, Rodriguez as their LB room - not counting edge guys/special teamers

So get another quality linebacker. There will be plenty of snaps, regardless of who is designated starter.

2 Likes

This thread confuses me.

1 Like

I think he played well for a rookie and he should be much better this year. I think were ok with AA too even with all the hate he gets in here. Barnes has the tools and showed some flashes. i think Board was a big disappointment, he was supposed to be our coverage LB and a STs ace. He was great on STs but I just watched a replay of the vikings 2nd game and Hockenson just killed him. I guess thats why we let him walk.

If using Cap’s theory that tackles are directly proportional to snaps played……

Rodrigo played 614 snaps…. and had 87 tackles.

Therefore… if he played the 1080 snaps Anzalone played…
Rodrigo would have had 153 tackles. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Snags had his password stolen by cap