Is there any Gm you absolutely do not want here?

Matt Millen is a no go for me. :rofl:

1 Like

Someone else already said this, but it’s too funny not to say again.

New :heart: heart, fresh start. :laughing:

The problem with fans is that they act as if drafting was easy. The idea that any GM is not going to miss on a player is ridiculous. The draft doesn’t always fall the way you want it and some years you need OL and there simply aren’t any available, so fans lose their mind if the FA you were forced to sign isn’t worth his contract. The best GM’s take good football players that can play at the NFL level a high percentage of the time.

I think it’s more frustrating to see a GM continue to make the same mistakes. Everyone is going to miss from time to time, but you have to rate the miss. In the recent cases of the Lions it’s been massive over reaches in which instead of admitting that it was a reach they double down the next year by doing the exact same thing. There are some things that are going to be missed regardless of the time and prep you put into a draft, it’s unavoidable and to be expected. But ego and arrogance is not one of them, and we be seen way too much of that. Which is why I’m dead set on a GM with previous experience who can come in a prove that he can identify his previous mistakes and give a concise response on what he would do in the future. If I were in on the interview I would throw in a few hypothetical scenarios and grade their response. The problem with a lot of these young GMs, and coaches is they come in thinking they are on top of the world and their shit don’t stink. Give me someone who’s been humbled and grown.

I wouldn’t want Pioli or Reese.

I’m open to up and comer GMs. They need to have a track record for drafting superstars, developing players, and I’d want to know who their HC, OC, and DC will be first. They also need to be innovative and have a direction for the team.

I really want experience, not these people that never did it before and are just learning, that serves us no good.

I’m changing my answer.

George Paton.
For the love of all that is sane, PLEASE prove that this was a genuine search.

First questions regarding Paton…

1. Was he already picked ahead of Spielman being hired?
  2. If he genuinely was picked after Spielman, isn’t this just nepotism?

Yeah, this one’s beginning to stink a little already and he’s just now coming in for an interview (supposedly).

Yes, I can be a little cynical at times.

1 Like

I’m sorry, you already provided your final answer and you are stuck with it :laughing:.

I agree in part with what you are saying, but I’m also not going to be dismissive of him if he’s part of an overall thorough search and ends up winning the job through merit.

The only way we will know that though, is if the Lions provide transparency in their search once completed.

As the old adage goes, first job is winning your division. I would have strong reservations about plucking someone from an organization that couldn’t get it done against the Packers.

1 Like

Drafting is easy. You just put a name on a card and send it to the podium. Pretty simple.

If your not sure what to put down then just listen to the guy yelling names from the back of the war room.

Finding out what these guys were thinking and why they did what they did is important. There are GM’s that read message boards and see who the fans want. I have seen this ridiculous nonsense for a long time. Bud Grant used to say take the best available athlete. I agree with that concept as when you take an Ebron over Donald - he doesn’t come close to comparing as an athlete, position value and impact. This was one of the worst situations I have ever seen as the worst decisions are made at the top of the draft. Quinn taking a slow Tabor in the 2nd is a real problem not only because he can’t evaluate talent, but he doesn’t understand how the draft works? Slow CB’s fall in the draft just as 2 down slow LB’s like Tavai. His lack of understanding of what abilities are necessary at the NFL level was scary.

I would like to see a guy who understands BPA and actually believes in it. A guy who would like to build from the trenches out, but understands you stick to taking productive players that can help.

they not drawing names from a hat, throwing darts at a name, saying “eeny meanie…miny…mo?”
no musical chairs, multiple guess , no round ticker wheel with prospect names on it , no rock, paper, scissors??

pin the tail on the prospect?

Taking slow corners, linebackers that can’t get in position, defensive linemen that can’t hold the point of attack. This is a list of my least favorite things.

I believe those are all part of our decision process… lol