Is There Hope for a Turnaround in 2022?

Fields is gonna be going back to making cookies with his grandma, by the time Thibz and our D get done with him!

Future of Fields :point_up: :point_up: :point_up:

4 Likes

Great to see you posting @MyLions! Always enjoy reading your thoughts on the Lions and the conversations it spurs.

2 Likes

honestly I think we’re seeing a turnaround right now. They’re playing hard, and there are pockets of talent and the not-so-talented guys are really trying. I know ‘moral victories’ are a huge thing for the Lions because we can’t get the regular ones, but we did just play the rams to a very winnable game. That’s no small potatoes. I don’t think we’re sneaking up on anyone at all.

But goff needs to play better. Yes the oline and wrs are issues but that doesn’t mean you ignore at least your 2nd read onward.

4 Likes

My guess for next year was 6-8 wins. I’ll open that window to 5-9. Just depends on the picks working out and injuries again.

I do think many here will be disappointed by the opening day roster again. Holmes and company aren’t going to even attempt to fill every need this off season. They are going to double up on a position or bring in more depth while a need is glaring, but the options don’t fit the long term plan. They’re going to stick to their plan, let things come to them and move forward.

Really believe that 2023 is the year they’re aiming for to make a big splash in the playoffs. Being in contention for them (playoffs) most of 2022 will have to suffice. Squeaking in may even happen, but with few expectations of a run.

I truly expect for all of us to be able to raise a glass on Jan 1, 2024 at 12:00:01am and with the other hand give a middle finger salute, and shout FUCK YOU Quintricia.

2 Likes

To answer the OP, yes I do.

A!says said that this is year zero for this regime. The cupboard was as bare as the worse of Millen teams. This is just the clearing of land stage. Next year is year one, with the start of developing their own construction. Unless something unforeseen arises, I still have total trust in this regime.

2 Likes

Things that give me hope are as follows…

Way our D is performing with low level of talent
Our offensive line and running backs.
Tight ends.
Draft picks
Coaches

If we can add a few solid contributor with draft capital and a few FA’s I can see us being a much more competitive team next year. I do not see a SB or long playoff run but I could see us being a team that comes on strong after week 8 or so next year.

Not sold on Goff but hard to say he’s as bad as he looks now given the lack of anyone to throw the damn ball too.

1 Like

This pretty much nails it for me. Its so hard to actually reach and win a Super Bowl. Even when you do everything right, its all about the bounces (and the calls). But I think the idea is to have our window begin in 2023 and peak 2024-25.

2 Likes

I wanna start with a home playoff game, be favored in the game, expected by everyone to win the game, then win the game.

1 Like

Sign Kirk, and Tim Patrick, trade for Cooks.
Wr is way better, and we may not need worry about wr in the draft.
Then draft defense after defense.

On a similar topic…

Is that SEA loss to Russ Wilson… or a different QB?

When they learn to win, they are going to be dangerous.

2 Likes

Yes, I’d say there is hope.

A lot of the dead money is being cleaned up so they will be able to spend a little bit in FA. The focus will shift from getting rid of contracts to adding them.

Additionally, there’s the draft. The Lions have a lot of ammo in the upcoming drafts. If Holmes can draft well this team will begin to turn around sooner than later. If he doesn’t, they won’t.

So there is absolutely hope.

I’m still more focused on 2023 being the initial turnaround and not 2022, but in the NFL you need to be successful a lot faster than my patience would warrant.

The same probability as monkees flying out of my ass!!

“What a coincidence! Because that’s… today.”

2 Likes

Love that shout-out!

Word. :wink:

YES! As well as FAs/cap space!

100% on all of this too, man!

I would invite everyone to use the OverTheCap salary cap calculator to play with our numbers.

If you tag Walker, you’re going to be looking at 20 mil to spend on free agents.

1 Like

LOL!!!

Let’s not forget, when Sewell hits year two, it will almost be like adding an all pro on the right side and the return of Decker has the makings of true greatness in 2022. The progress of Nelson adds great depth.
The growth of Barnes, McNeil, and the young secondary will add to the hope.
I have never spoken a word about our QB. Until now. The return of Harrington is a nightmare I can’t watch much longer. WE NEED A QB!!

2 Likes

I’m not as hard on Goff as some of you cats, but I see all of the other stuff as truth (through my lens, of course).

I’m still pulling for Goff, but having more doubts damn near eery time I see him play.

We need a QB, but we need talent more than a QB. That’s why we’re taking Thibodeaux.

2 Likes