‘It’s not for everybody’: Detroit Lions lose fourth player to retirement

Is this troubling to anyone?
I don’t ever recall this many UDFA’s just quitting.

I refer to it sarcastically at times, but the truth is I’m not troubled.

2 Likes

Smart thing to do, IF you have a career lined up verse’s a practice squad career.

Yes, something in the recesses of the mind keeps whispering," why?"

Not concerned at all. Besides Penisini they weren’t going to make the roster anyways.

Penisini had good things to say about the Lions after he retired. It sounded more like a personal choice for him

1 Like

How many “careers” pay 25k a week?

1 Like

Not saying the money is bad, but having a degree and being a college stand out can open a lot of doors for good jobs.

How much money do NFL practice squad players make?

Players with two or fewer accrued NFL seasons earn at least $9,200 per week, which equals $165,600 for 18 weeks spent on the practice squad. (A player accrues a season when they are on full-time pay status for at least six regular-season games). Players with more than two accrued seasons make a minimum of $14K per week and $252K for the whole season.

1 Like

My guess is that this staff is letting players know they are going to be released… and maybe offering the players a chance to “retire” as a sign if respect. There are always guys brought for a look that never make it past the first round of cuts…. and some may not even make it past the OTAs.

5 Likes

One of the guys at work was telling me that supposedly Zein was really impressing the coaches and had a shot at making the roster…either way, it’s possible that Dan was straight with him but he would have been cut then I’d imagine rather than saying your retiring.

I guess I remembered wrong on what they make but nonetheless a career in your degree is always waiting for you. Your shot at making it in the NFL doesn’t.

1 Like

I had read that people were viewing the retired designation as a way that the players that were unlikely to make the roster could go get right and the lions would still hold their rights if they came back. That it was mutually beneficial, could be wrong that was what i had read though.

2 Likes

Aidan doesn’t wait for you… to get out of your stance… :flushed:

I like it….

As I said before, I love that we have leadership who show emphatic traits, as well as true compassion for the troops!!

I made a troop, while in training for a deployment, to go to the hospital in the middle of the night. I was initially chastised by the training cadre for enabling a weak troop and should have pushed him instead.

Ended up almost losing the arm due to excessive nerve damage in the shoulder (impact injury)…. And then had to retire medically….

No one in leadership ever apologized to me for putting the human over the mission….

Our leadership get it and evaluates each person correctly imho

1 Like

I wonder if other teams are experiencing this.

Coaches: “We need you to be like Lions greats of the past, men. Guys like Barry and Calvin.”

Players: “Okay, coach. I’m retiring early.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.