Jamaal on GMFB

How I love this man. I might just cry if we don’t sign him. Goes beyond X’s and O’s.

11 Likes

He deserves a shot at breaking Jamaals record.

1 Like

If you just go that link and then one of the ones on the side is him (he stayed the whole time) called “JW reflects on 2022 season”. Great watch.

Loved two parts. One, he talked about how the RB room is all so supportive and how he tries to playfully motivate guys, telling them, “you better finish your plate or I’m going to. Find that end zone because if you don’t, you know what’s about to happen” :smile:

Second one when he’s talking about the interview after the GB game, saying “point kind of was don’t let these tears fool you. I’ll run over you WHILE crying” haha.

I’m going to be in the sad room with @CuriousHusker if he leaves.

3 Likes
2 Likes

FOUND IT!

2 Likes

There ain’t no way he is going anywhere. Jamaal being resigned is a guarantee.

7 Likes

I’d put my lunch money on it. This might be the first disagreement Holmes and MCDC ever have.

Just kidding. MCDC loves this guy and so does Brad. His season and his off-field stuff will be rewarded.

2 Likes

Yea he is truly a class act! He brings such joy wherever he goes!

Thanks Jamal for being you my man!!

3 Likes

He ain’t leaving ! The deal is done.
Some lions fans will call it an over pay
But he’ll be worth every penny.

8 Likes

Some guys just radiate positivity.

Agree, a must resign for lockerroom

2 year 9 mil full guaranteed

2 Likes

I think he’s really setting himself up for life after football here. Guys who are great interviews tend to be guys that can DO great interviews with other players. He took advantage of his chances, and in the process has become something of a “folk hero”. His mouth isn’t writing checks that his play isn’t cashing and deserves to ride the “worst to first” train.

4 Likes

Signing bonus $4M, for 2 years. 1st year $1M salary, year 2 $4M. Cap hit year 1- is $3M, year 2- $6M
JW pockets $5 up front we spread cap hit over the 2 years. If he’s still going strong into 2024 we pay him $4M. Our cap hit in 24 is $6M.

1 Like

I agree! We absolutely need to keep him on the team. Such a great guy!

I think every Lions fan loves the guy and would love to have him back. But he’s on the wrong side of his career and it is a business. So don’t hold your breath.

I don’t think it is. I think the Lions entered 2022 with the plan to use him hard and let him price himself out of our future plans. He’s a fan and team favorite but if the guy leaves for more money the team comes away looking good.

But now they have a dilemma… I think the staff and team want him back and they just made it harder to bring him back.

I do think there’s a chance he leaves.

1 Like

I think this is one where we are trying to be in the head of the player and coaches and sadly we’re just fans.

We KNOW Holmes, MCDC, the whole team and the fans want him back.

We KNOW he wants to be back.

What we don’t know is if the two sides can come to an amicable agreement on making that happen.

That’s why half are “no way they let him walk” and the other half are “but… but… money. He might leave”.

Considering his production and value to the team in other ways, this is a tough one to predict.

I think this one is pretty simple to figure out.

Why feed him the most carrie’s in his career if you plan to bring him back?

Why feed him more than 100 carry’s more than he’s ever had, if you had planned to bring him back?

Why feed him the rock in all those goal line carry’s unless you’re trying to boost his TD totals and increase his pay come free agency?

Especially when he’s nearing 28 years old when it’s a known age that RB’s decline?

Especially when his yards per carry significantly declined down the stretch?

I agree with much of what you are saying.

I might quibble with the giving him 100 more carries if you planned to bring him back comment. I believe Swift’s injury, along wiht being underwhelmed by the backup rb’s, led to the higher carry count.

Ok let’s explore that. Here’s the carry’s and yards down the stretch by each back.

Week 18

JW 16-72
DS 6-25
JJ 1-2

Week 17

JW 22-144
DS 11-78

Week 16

JW 7-11
DS 4-12

Week 15

JW 13-33
DS 8-52
JJ. 8-16

Week 14

JW 16-37
DS. 6-21
JJ. 4-19

Week 13

JW. 11-35
DS. 14-62
JJ. 1-4

Week 12

JW 18-66
DS. 5-19
JJ. 4-4

Week 11

JW. 17-64
DS. 5-20
JJ. 9-66

Im not really looking into getting into a detailed back and forth as there is too much I don’t know and the stats don’t address which is why I called it a quibble, nothing that major.

I don’t know, in the games selected, if the staff was managing Swift’s carries due to his health status which would increase JW’s carries.
I believe J Jackson was also nursing some bumps/bruises as well.

Additionally, I would like him back, however, more for what he brings to the team from a culture leadership status. I think it is a risk due to reasons you offer, higher usage, and RB’s declining as they get older. While not discounting what he did on the field in 2022.

The numbers have to make sense or they pass on him, however, I think there is a good chance they can work it out.