Jamaal Williams vs David Montgomery

Great call. I didn’t see one replacing the other, impression that JWill was a power back and Montomery was a jitterbug. But they are nearly identical height/weight. DM can catch, Jamaal can’t. That’s huge. Will really miss Swaggy, but we improved the roster.

Did I say great call?

3 Likes

I think the thing that also is important is that both men are great locker room additions, and it was important to have someone who could do that with the loss of Williams. If there’s one thing that is a common thread with our players, “Leaders”, seems to be it. Personal responsibility and responsibility to the group as a whole. The atmosphere that our staff has created might be more of a family than some of these guys have ever experienced.

4 Likes

Agree. Nice pull

1 Like

I think Williams could return but the would mean the end of Swift imo

I think Williams could return as well. We would save about $1.8 million if we cut Swift so I doubt they would do it.

Not if he’s asking for 3/30+. That’s insane.
He negotiated himself off the team.

Yeah, I know odds are against it but it will be interesting to see what he actually does get.

1 Like

Well said IMO

JerseyJungle
Regular

1h

2 Likes

In general, I would agree. Interesting in 4 years that DM has exactly the same number of carries that Jamaal has in 6 seasons, 915. DM has 49 more yards which means exactly nothing because they were both in there to be the chain mover, not the home run threat. There might be a better utilization of resources but I just remember how often Stafford threw on 3rd and 1 because there wasn’t a player on the team who could pick it up. If DM can provide that continuity which I suspect he will, well, you bite the bullet.

1 Like

Actually, I DM will do better. Holmes will definitely upgrade the oline guard spot and maybe the TE position.

This would be the stupidest move post Tabor in round 2. Not one but TWO backup RB’s making good starter money? Then have it cost us the ONLY back we have that can scare a DC? Heck no!

Bro, you think Montgomery is a backup?

1 Like

Knowing not everyone can get past the pay wall, I’ll summerize.
She loves the Sutton signing.
Thinks it was stupid to let Swaggy walk for what NOLA signed him for, and isn’t convinced Montgomery is worth the contract he got.
NFL+ Cynthia Frelund’s Winners and Losers of Free Agency

this guy……

Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

1 Like

ninja turtles lol GIF by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

He sure as hell better not be!
He’s replacing our number 1 rusher and franchise RB TD record holder. The embodiment of this teams identity. 1,006 yards rushing. 17 rushing TD’s, most of those TD’s in the red zone. Let that sink in, and think back, just two years. What couldn’t we do? Score in the ■■■■■■■ red zone.
That could have been kept for 30% less!
Hello! When the WR’s are telling you that they know they have to score from outside the red zone or Swaggy’s going to take it in? He motivated them! That dude put this team on his back, and said, lets do this.
It’s a head scratcher.
Goff hater’s, pay attention. Let’s see how green the grass on the other side of the fence is.
NOLA got better.
Rant over.:laughing:

Posted this in the other thread but believe it applies here…

Interesting stat… yards before contact for jamaal last year 2.5 per attempt and swift was at 3.8… Montgomery was at 2.1 per attempt. The lions offensive line sure seemed to set the rb up for success.

Additionally, montgomery broke 20 tackles to jamaals 11 and swifts 5 while being tackled for loss 13 times compared to 20 and 12 times respectively.

To me this would indicate that given the olines ability to provide at least a half yard of separation more than the bears gave Montgomery and his higher break tackle rate that we may have just felt that jamaal couldnt make enough out of the plays in front of him and that montgomery will be able to do more…

1 Like

I don’t know who is right in what Jamaal was or wasn’t offered, I do think it’s unfortunate that his exit wasn’t more friendly. David was available and they made the move, not sure they preferred one over the other vs just not wanting to miss filling the void. I watched David play at Iowa State and knew what he was capable of and I’m happy with the add, just disappointed that Jamaal left the way he did no matter who was in the wrong. Would really like to see a healthy Swift this season and a rotation that can raise hell with opposing D’s.

We are going to be just fine brother.

Take a look at the last 2 full years as a bigger sample. 2021 and 2022 combined.

J-Will had 1667 yards rushing, 20 TD’s - 38 catches for 230 yards

Monty had 1650 yards rushing, 12 TD’s - 76 catches for 617 yards and 1 TD

So in the past 2 seasons, Monty has about 400 more combined yards. Monty in the passing games is going to really add to BJ’s ability to be creative on offense. Monty also ran behind a terrible O-line and breaks a ton of tackles. I wouldn’t be surprised Monty hits 1500 combined yards next year behind the the Lions line. He’s been averaging roughly 1150 yards or so the past 2 seasons.

I’m just saying. We couldn’t score in the red zone.
Last year we could.
If Montgomery can fill that role, I’m happy.
NOLA got a red zone TD machine.

1 Like