That’s all ESPN is these days, so yes.

2 Likes

James Jones is a fugging idiot

Andy Reid post game presser

“Yea, it was loud obviously … our ears are still ringing”

2 Likes

For sure 80,311 capacity at PSD vs 65,000 at FF

People completely ignoring 15,000 people to make their point

I think two bigger differences even than 15,000 are the acoustic panels in the ceiling of FF and Barry Sanders

The panels dampen echo and make FF a better place to listen to concerts, of which they hold many. PSD was a horrible place for concerts sound wise because of echo…bad for music but better for making football loud. Fans at FF have to overcome the sound dampening of the acoustic panels.

And of course in the PSD people had the greatest Lion ever to cheer for. If Barry was doing what he did at FF it would be consistently louder

FF was VERY LOUD yesterday. I think 2nd only to the 2011 MNF game v the Bears

2 Likes

Agree, especially on the last Chiefs drive, loudest I’ve heard it since MNF against the Giants in 2014.

The Metrodome had less capacity than Ford Field and Ford Field, again, is no where near as loud as the Metro Dome was. Capacity is not as much of a factor in crowd noise.

Tell that to Mahomes who was clearly flustered by the noise several times, or Andy Reid as evidenced in his post game quote.

As far as the Steelers go, their fans invade every stadium. In fact, Pittsburgh road games are usually louder than Pittsburgh home games.

1 Like

Yes. I went to games in the Metrodome. I lived in Minny for 4 years. It was like the PSD, the stadium reflected noise.

And it’s capacity was 64,111 so it held 889 less people

I bet Mahomes echos Reid’s comments in his post game.

The dome WOULD be louder , the sound couldn’t escape and I doubt there was ‘sound dampeners’ either, it was all enclosed. Ford field is next to a state of the art stadium…it would be if the auto industry was still booming. but I think there is sound barriers and dampeners at FF so opposing fans can’t scream loud enough to disrupt our players…and, it goes both ways I feel…

Ford Field is not designed to maximize crowd noise. It was built to maximize revenue. So music acts can play. If they were smart they would have equipped the dampeners with a mechanism to flatten them for football. For what, like an extra $200k or some other wild guess?

As it is, there were a couple of time the Chiefs had trouble due to crowd noise. It’s not the fans. Give them something to cheer about and DET fans are as loud or louder than any other base.

As Bob Seger when it was said Detroit rock n roll audiences are the best in the world. “Shit, I’ve known that for 10 years.”

So, my official review. I was there at the game, and yes it was loud. And no, it was still nowhere close to Arrowhead. There’s no shame in it, Arrowhead is special, and about 20k people more.

For fans who are at the game, as loud as Detroit fans get on 3rd down, is as loud as Chiefs fans are on 1st down. Then they get progressively louder each down.

I was surprised there were so many KC fans there, I was chatting up a few of my neighbors :smiley: The guy sitting next to my Dad and I was a Chiefs fan and we had a good time going back and forth. There was a play where we stopped them on 3rd down, yelled out Dammit. I patted him on the shoulder and said “it will be ok” On cue, flag comes out. I looked over and said “told ya…”
I was really surprised at how loud the “CHIEFS” was at the end of the anthem. I used to think that was incredibly disrespectful. Once you experience in person though, its part of what makes KC special. They let you know exactly where you are. And no, I didnt join in :wink:

The thing that always has and always will bug me is… They can build a stadium with a retractable roof. Why can’t they make the acoustic panels in the roof of the stadium roll up like a window shade for football games and then deploy them for concerts and other events where sound quality is valued over sheer volume?

Exactly. Didn’t they just do a $100m upgrade for the “fan experience”? Part of that is letting them participate and impact the game by getting loud. I suspect they relied too much on “experts” who told them it would be plenty loud with their system in place. I don’t know how much it would cost, I would expect not too much, to have automated dampeners. Certainly nothing like what they just spent.

1 Like

It’s weird that the 2 loudest stadiums in the NFL are both outdoors. Arrowhead was built in the early 70s with no design to heighten the echo of the crowd. Maybe their fans are just louder? The record is like 142 decibels, the game last Sunday topped out around 118, not even close.

1 Like

I really didn’t see anybody claiming that Ford Field was the loudest stadium in the NFL

But the idiot talking head called it a funeral home and it’s not a funeral home

Funeral Home…not even close

In summary:

1. Talking Head: Ford Field is really quiet. It’s like a funeral home

2. The majority of the fans: “ Ford Field gets pretty dang loud when the lions are playing good and in contention. It’s not a funeral home “

3. GG19: “Its not the loudest stadium in the NFL. Not even close.

Two of the three are living in the extreme and one view is a reasonable take. I’ll let people figure out for them selves which ones they are

I was making a general statement, not quoting the article. People were making the implication that removing the acoustic panels would heighten the volume in the stadium. While it may do that, the loudest stadiums in the NFL don’t even have a roof, so I’d ask, why remove them? Just be louder.

Yes 15000 extra people … duh
Also FF is a smaller facility so that negates some of the 15000
It’s more about acoustics
Dome a bowl
FF has major openings in 2 corners — they serve to push sound out

1 Like

They also have baffles in the ceiling placed for the sole purpose of improving acoustics for live audio.

The Silverdome was a live audio nightmare because of the way sound would bounce around inside of there. Horrible venue for concerts. Excellent venue for crowd noise.

2 Likes

who gives a rats ass , about how loud a stadium is play the game . I don’t want to be deaf OR have my ears ringing loud for 2 weeks after I see a game ! not enjoyable to me if it’s too damn loud and you can’t hear.

Do you often feel the urge to tell folks to stay off your lawn? Lol

Seriously though. The Silverdome used to be a real home field advantage. In big games, we were good for 2 or 3 false starts on our opponents, just based on the noise level alone. That actually can be a determining factor in W’s and L’s.