Jamo Trade: Vikings War Room

Wait till cine deals with a winter up there. He didnt sound thrilled will being picked to go there

2 Likes

That seems to be the gist of where Kwesi’s mind was at. He could get a perfectly good player at 32 and get one more perfectly good player for their troubles…or flip the picks for more picks.

This is not a win win trade for Minny lol. If Kwesi valued 2nd round picks so much then why give one up in the deal? If you’re saying the value is in the second round then that’s just another win for Brad Holmes.

3 Likes

If Jamo turns out to be Randy Moss Jr, then we can say Brad did a thing with this trade.

If Jamo is outplayed by some 2nd and 3rd round receivers, it obviously will not look great in hindsight.

As always, no reason to get too puffed up about it either way until stuff happens on the field.

3 Likes

This is the part that stuck out to me. Sound familiar Batboy…

1 Like

He said it as though they didn’t lose all good will when trading out of 12 all the way down to 32.

1 Like

There’s a lot of great posts in this thread and I agree with most of them. Time will tell if this is a great trade for the Lions.

One way I look at it is…if the roles were reversed and Brad traded down from 12 to 32 and got the same haul of picks…I would have been furious. Fricken furious.

7 Likes

So they should have stayed at 12 and taken Cine there?

They got their guy, moved up in the 2nd and added 66. How is that not a win?

I feel like if they valued Cine as good enough to take at 12, that would be VERY curious thinking. Like, KAM had him scouted THAT highly? I didn’t see any mocks with him that high, and obviously like 20 more teams passed on him before he fell to the Vikings.

If that’s the case, it screams either

A) They fell in love with a player and put on their blinders to everything
B) Their scouting is vastly different than the rest of the league’s

Both of those are some red (or at least yellow) flags to me. Does KAM really understand scouting THAT much better than the other 31 teams?

4 Likes

I also found it kinda interesting he asked Brad Holmes and another GM who they were taking.

I have no idea how often that goes on and might be nothing, but when he said to Holmes “who are you taking, the deal is done!” That seemed a little strange.

Again could be nothing. I agree with most if not all these posts. I caught the questioning of making that trade as well and whether it was the right thing to do from the coach and others in the room

2 Likes

Thats a different matter, but teams have to follow their board. Not like i saw mocks with Paschal going mid 2nd round.

Just think how much easier it would be to stomach the Hockenson pick if we had traded down first and picked up a 3rd rounder in the process. Or the Okudah pick.

3 Likes

IMO, for the Lions, “winning” the trade is ALL about what Jamo does or doesn’t do. What the V’s picks do is pretty much a separate issue - and one I’m pretty indifferent to. Both teams can win, both can lose, or one team might wind up happy and the other unhappy.

As it is, I’m happy the Lions took the risk!

3 Likes

My favorite part of the lions video is Randall el. That his reaction always makes me laugh.

2 Likes

It wasn’t just a 2nd round thing, going by the video. They felt the sweet spot in this draft was from 32 to 77. He eluded to the idea of trading out of 32 if a particular player wasn’t there, and of course he DID trade out of our 34 spot. I would say they overvalued Pick 66…judging by the video. That being said I can understand the logic of pick 66 being an extension of the 2nd round and the fact that there are legit players still on the board in the early to middle of the 3rd round every year. I don’t consider the draft a “crapshoot” until it gets to the 4th round.

In the end I think we all agree that they should have never thrown in pick 46. That’s the rub.

2 Likes

I don’t think any of us would have a problem with the hockenson or even ebron pick if we had traded back and got them around 14 and picked up an extra second or third.

2 Likes

It’s not a win because Kwesi is saying the true value in the draft was in the 32 to 70 range. That sounds like a reason to hold onto pick 46. Then Holmes gets the guy he wanted at 32 or 34 anyway at 46. The best way to look at it was who is the only team in the trade to get a player they absolutely had no shot at getting had they not made a trade AND somehow landed the guys they truly wanted in the 2nd and 3rd anyway. The trade is so bad for Minny we haven’t even mentioned how it was done inter division. How do you let a division rival move way up in the draft for, according to where you see value, a 3rd round pick? I’m sorry I just don’t see how as of right now Minny came anywhere close to winning anything in this trade.
(Let’s not forget how the prospect we traded up for absolutely destroyed the prospect you traded down for.)

4 Likes

Honestly the Vikings GM came off as a smartest guy in the room type and over confident.

Both Holmes and Campbell have spoken to how this year is better in terms of being on the same page and how last year was kind of crazy with a new staff all figuring each other out.

That’s what I gathered from the Vikings video. They still don’t know each other, and are trying to be supportive but also questioning.

He might have been right in that he got better value with the picks… but when Jamo is blowing the top over Cine at the metrodome just like he did in college, we’ll see who really won the trade

7 Likes

They say the winner in a trade is the team that gets the better more established player.

When it involves picks then its the team that gets the perceived better player

1 Like

I kind of like this speed motif Brad is working on.

Which reminds me…

1 Like

The most striking difference to me is Quief and the Vikings have a million people in the room. There’s like eight under Holmes

2 Likes