Jared Goff was one of the NFL's best passers vs. the blitz in 2021

Said this on my channel in a episode a whole week before the got to it. Nice that they finally did.

5 Likes

Throwing the shortest passes in the NFL helps that number a ton. I don’t like using the metric of pass completion % when he’s throwing 1 yard passes. If they had included yards, it would be more meaningful data.

The 10th rated QB when pressured …based on QB rating feels much more accurate to me, and is still pretty good (better than I would have guessed, for sure).

3 Likes

I know very little about football but isn’t that how you typically beat the blitz?

4 Likes

If you have a decent Oline you can take advantage of the one on one, or hit the void left by the blitzer.

1 Like

Quick decision making by the QB, and of course the O-line needs to be able to pickup blitzes. Skill players that can beat man to man coverage are key to making teams pay for blitzing, which the Lions have now in Hock, St. Brown, Chark and J-Mo. I hope teams blitz us a lot. Using screens is a great way to destroy teams that blitz a lot.

Here is a perfect example. Rams bringing the house on us with 6 guys coming. Screen to Swift behind it = House Call. QB’s best friend when you can throw a 2 yard pass and it goes for 60+.

5 Likes

I expect a TON of this stuff, with quick outlets to all the underneath guys.

2 Likes

St. Brown and Hock should be blitz killers because they can win 1 on 1’s underneath and in the middle of the field. Also, WR screens and or quick slants to J-Mo on the perimeter, if he makes the corner miss, it’s a house call.

Speed kills and it scares defenses away from blitzing. I expect teams to play a ton of cover 2 with safeties deep against us next year with all the speed we have now on the outside, especially when J-Mo is back healthy. Teams will dare us to run the ball and dink and dunk are way down the field as opposed to giving up big plays. Last year teams loaded the box, because we had no deep threats. Good luck to them if they try that next year.

2 Likes

Yeah, either that or just …

8 Likes

I’m fine either way

2 Likes

For sure! Especially if we get the running game firing behind this O-line. The safeties will start creeping up to stop the run, and then boom - play action to Chark and J-Mo deep!

1 Like

this is all the more impressive considering the lack of weapons Oline and Lynn last year

It certainly doesn’t support the ‘Goff wilts under pressure’ narrative

6 Likes

There’s truth to this. Also, it is not even close to “all telling.”

Love it. Channel a little bit of Matty and Calvin.

we have guys that separate and make space in a short amount of time. that’s perfect for blitzes. you don’t want to sit there and wait for someone to get 25+ yards down the field while in a blitz and hope that it’s getting picked up properly. I’d rather get the ball out very quickly to an open receiver a couple yards downfield instead of waiting a tick or two and throwing a pick.

3 Likes

Damn it! I’d rather throw the pick. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Of course a hot route isn’t going to be a 25 yard route, my man.
Goff was last in the league in yards/pass.
I truly believe most stats are damn near worthless, and I much prefer to go with what my eyes tell me.

Rooting for the Goffster…bottom line.
Get it done, home slice.

man put this on Reddit and half of the responses were almost hostile. I think Pride or Die has a point of a certain fan demographic is predisposed to hate on Goff for not being Stafford

4 Likes

Lots of ppl were mean to David for making the vid?
Reddit gonna start a turf war. LOL. Nate’s guys will light them up!

No the article about being accurate under blitz

2 Likes

Throwing it as far as you can bc your guy is faster than anyone they have will always be a viable strategy when done in moderation. Though deep passing gluttons at OC are an entertaining breed.

1 Like

Ahhhh…
Thought I was gonna have to go back our guy