Jeff Okudah offers a promising video update on his injury recovery

Hard not to root for the guy. Sounds like a hard worker.

1 Like

Regardless if you feel bitch slapped cuz he was drafted highā€¦ thatā€™s not his fault. Letā€™s just root for a guy whoā€™s giving it his all to get back to health. If yo momma had cancerā€¦ youā€™d want us to do that for her.

3 Likes

So what was the word/vibe here when Okudah got drafted? Iā€™ve always bitched about his 40 time, but now I see threads about the 40 being overrated and no practical relevance. But in my noivice eye, Okudahā€™s biggest problem was lack of speed. And all of his hard work now ainā€™t going to fix that. Now Iā€™d love to see the kid turn it around, stay healthy and have a solid year. But I just donā€™t see it happening.

Me too. Iā€™d love to see him become a quality CB.

But players are rarely the same after an Achilles. Most are out of the league a few years after one. So the odds are very much against him.

1 Like

Some loved the pick. Some, like me, hated the pick. History says you donā€™t take a CB in top 5 unless they are great AND run a 4.3 There is a steep learning curve at the position and unless you have serious speed to make up for your mistakes, you are going to get toasted a LOT.

1 Like

He sure looks training camp readyā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m concerned that the Wide Receiver created so much separation thst you couldnā€™t even see him in the frame.

3 Likes

Heā€™s going to be up against some decent receivers in practice ā€¦ that will be when I am interested in an update.

It is promising to see him move around and not seeming to be mentally limited. We shall see how his explosion stacks up, hopefully he can figure stuff out when the games are live.

Never wanted a trade down more than that year. But we had Quinn, the Fontleroy boy among men. Didnā€™t happen. If we didnā€™t trade down, Okudah was a popular Den favorite along with Brown and Simmons. A few posters wanted Tua. One poster wanted Herbert, forget who that was. None of the non-QBā€™s were a good pick at 3OA.

1 Like

@NewYorkLion liked Herbert.
I didnā€™t post here at that timeā€¦ but I also wanted them to pick Herbert and then work on a trade.

another update from Okudahā€¦ posting a 29-inch vertical. šŸ«£

That isā€¦ with a 30-pound DB in each handā€¦ :open_mouth:

3 Likes

After ā€œtrade downā€, I was in the Brown boat. Then we may have not drafted Alim, so theres thatā€¦

1 Like

I was in the ā€œtrade downā€ a couple spots (rumor was #5 was available but Detroit wanted too much) and take Isaiah Simmons.

He had 105 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 7 PD and 1 INT last year. He was bigger AND faster than Okudah and sure would look good in a Lions uniform right now. Even if we would have taken him at #3 I would have been happy. Guys his size/speed/ability donā€™t come around that often.

1 Like

This is what I wanted as well, though Iā€™m ashamed to admit my guy was Tua, I whiffed on Herbert big-time. I think it still would have worked with Tua given the Chargers and Dolphins both went QB. But I also knew there was no way Quinn or Patricia was gonna do that, not with their jobs on the line. I think Brad would have handled that situation much better.

2 Likes

Itā€™d be better if he had a 30-pound WR in each hand.

1 Like

Me too. I wanted to pick Tua and call the Dolphins bluff. I also was a Herbert skeptic having seen him in person about eight times. I had real reservations about his accuracy. But he and Allen have made me rethink how I should view QB prospects as it seems that the QB gurus/coaches have really improved upon the teaching of throwing accuracy.

A similar thing has happened with pitchers. It used to be the prevailing thought to get the guy with velocity and hope they can add pitchability. Now with Driveline it seems that teams are unafraid to take the opposite approach.

Reminder for draft nerds, first round of the MLB draft in a few hours.

Yeah Iā€™ve had to do the same thing to an extent. But itā€™s also still possible that those two guys are the outliers. I had a pretty anti-Malik Willis stance despite him being comped to Allen in particular, itā€™s definitely possible he makes me look bad too. I feel better since he went so late, and he didnā€™t have early hype the way Herbert and Allen did (I remember hearing about them long before they were draft-eligible), so maybe heā€™s not a good comp. DJU could end up being a good comp.

He needs to prove it on the field obviously, but this guy has a tremendous work ethic and is fueled by a desire to prove all his doubters wrong.

Iā€™ve said it before but I feel like it is going to be a special season for that young man and him and AO will form a very good CB tandem. In fact I believe this secondary as a whole will be a top 10 unit this year

4 Likes

You can have a good career at corner without elite speed. You just have to have great technique and instincts. Joe Haden wasnā€™t that fast but he was a solid corner for a lot of years.

1 Like