Jermaine Johnson over Hutch and Thibs?

Just as a reminder, Suh is still playing, just not for us.

Let’s take your concerns to the next level though, age 24 with a five year contract takes you to 29. Franchise Tagging takes you to 31. Then you could, conceivably, let someone else pay him for his past production and collect the 3rd round pick, or you can trade for more beans after age 30. Either way your not on the hook for the second contract and the inevitable decline.

Thats moneyball with a pigskin.

The fantastic news is in this scenario, you hit big by choosing him in the first place for this to be a concern. :grinning:

I think everyone can get on board if you’re getting an impact player, regardless of position. Sewell wasn’t exactly a “need”. We pick another one like him, and everyone will be happy regardless.

1 Like

Jermaine Johnson was born on January 7, 1999. He’ll turn 24 at the end of his rookie season.

1 Like

If we pick him, he’ll be 28 in the draft thread.

3 Likes

We have the second pick, if no trade down it’s simple:
Hutch or Thibs

2 Likes

Must of mis-typed, good catch. 24 years old is still older for a rookie.

1 Like

This kind of goes back to a question from the past, which Todd Gurley became the poster child of. Would you spend an early 1st round pick on a guy who you knew would be a game changing player…if his body would only last around 4-5 years in the league? Which is another way of saying, how important is the 2nd contract if you feel confident that the 1st contract will be dominant?

3 Likes

When you put it that way, I’d say heck yeah I’ll take 4-5 dominant years! If you can build the rest of your team in that timespan you should have a competitive team almost every year.

3 Likes

Greg Cosell said the same thing on Rich Eisen Show. Said JJ will be best edge in this class

No but I sure like Mafe as a rusher with huge upside, or Bonitto as a very athletic edge who can rush and play the run.

Greg Cosell critiques Hutch, KT and JJ in that order in the next 10 minutes or so of this clip:

1 Like

Is there any Greg Cosell breakdown of Travon Walker? I was looking for it but couldn’t find it. They said it would be in the DT video, but I watched that and he wasn’t mentioned. I really enjoy his analysis, he seems to form his own opinions more than other guys.

1 Like

I used to love Greg because it sounded like he did some deep research on each player. I have been listening to him for the past 5 years and what I realized is he is wrong more than he is right. Guessing the same can be said for all analysts but go back and listen to the last couple drafts and what he thought of players.

Quick example…

3 Likes

It’s also just his eye test. Personally I prefer analyses that is both based off of tape and analytics. I’m pretty confident that Brad believes in crunching the data and JJ doesn’t fare as well in that regard. I mean he fares fine and is still a great prospect but the analytics guys don’t have him up there with KT or Hutch from what I understand.

3 Likes

That reads like something written after the pick was made and an analysis of that pick.

More of something why the pick as made.

I’d be curious to see what he thought of Tavai before the draft to compare the thoughts about him in that write up.

2 Likes

Historically speaking Cossel’s background is more film analysis as it pertains to play, scheme and execution. He’s knowledgable of course but his background isn’t scouting.

It’s always been amazing to me how pre-draft analysis by the various talking heads seems to be thoroughly scrubbed from the internet after the picks have been made. It’s almost like they don’t want to stand behind what they say :thinking:. Lol

1 Like

Don’t forget that Patricia had guys put on weight and it hurt their ability to move. Tavai might not have made it anyways, but Fatty Matty having him put on weight was a bad coaching decision. As AJ Hawk said, there really isn’t much of an advantage to being over 250 at LB unless it comes naturally to that player. That is a former player who tried out different weights and saw the impact. I don’t think its a coincidence that Tavai was coached to lose weight to get below 250 when the current staff of former players took over.

1 Like

From Ian Cummings 7 round mock draft today at Pro Football Network:

"4) New York Jets: Jermaine Johnson II, EDGE, Florida State

“If you ask me, Jermaine Johnson is more worthy of the No. 1 overall pick than both Hutchinson and Walker. Johnson’s pass-rush productivity rate isn’t as high as Hutchinson’s, but Johnson was often asked to read the run before pinning his ears back as a pass rusher. At the Senior Bowl, that responsibility wasn’t there, and we saw him dominate with his lightning-fast feet, lateral agility, violent hands, and power capacity. He has blue-chip upside in NY.”

2 Likes

still say it WILL be either Hutch Or Thibs. @ 02.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.