Jermaine Johnson over Hutch and Thibs?

I’ve been saying it for sometime that I think JJ could go as high as 2OA.

If the Lions are concerned with Thibs then I believe their board is Hutch then JJ.

JJ is the safest pick. High floor guy and a solid can’t miss prospect. He just doesn’t have the upside of Hutch, Thibs or Walker.

Let’s not forget that the Lions coached JJ at the senior bowl. They know what he has to offer.

I’ve been leaning towards JJ for the Lions for sometime. But I think if they want JJ they trade down a little and draft him.

Thibs is the guy you’d think they would take and I still think he’s a possibility at 2OA but I’m believing the personality concerns might take him off our board and put JJ in his place.

5 Likes

I don’t agree with that.

He can play 7 years that start in his 20’s.
This is only 1-2 years different than most guys.

we need to focus on who can produce now… or maybe even a year or two from now…. but definitely not be overly concerned about 8 years from now.

5 Likes

Agree

1 Like

Yep this right here. The FO can only really control the first 5 years. If the have their shit together then they will have his replacement in the pipeline by that 5th year so the age thing shouldn’t be a concern.

3 Likes

I am a guy who likes JJ, but it’s not just about signing the next contract. There’s a certain amount of maturation between 21 and 23 that can be anticipated.

I think the single biggest injustice of this draft season is how downplayed KT’s upside as a pass rusher has been. And i think KT is probably too clued into that and his supposed emotional immaturity then snowballed the whole situation.

But there is a scenario in which KT leads the NFL sacks in a season during his career. And that’s a pretty rare type of outcome in this class. AND YET it’s all talk of his downside.

Fortunately i’m decently confident he is the pick. And if he hits at his peak for any sustained amount of time he’s he’s best Lions defender of my lifetime. It’s that kind of upside.

He could of course bust but IMO we should seize the day. The last regime was all about risk aversion in round 1.

4 Likes

I guess I don’t like taking old guys because I think every pick should be made looking ten years into the future. If you nail the pick, that’s how long you’re hoping their career is. Overly idealistic perhaps, but if you shoot for the stars you hit the moon. And there aren’t a lot of edge rushers who still thrive past the age of 30. A few, sure, but the dropoff is usually pretty quick.

Im just sorry. I dont see JJ as a top pick. He is stiff. His cant change direction well on film. His feet get linear and he can easily be thrown off balance.

I dont see how people think he is a top rusher.

Im so sorry. I wanna agree, but i dont. Even in a trad down. I really feel JJ is not a 1st rounder.

What in this video, makes him the 2nd best player in the draft??

Im not trying to begrade anyone or tell you youre wrong and your opinion means nothing…im just trying to discuss it. I just dont see it. Id rather have Josh Paschal at DE than him. (Fingers crossed we get Mr. Paschal…i really love this guy…one player i want Is this man. I want Josh Paschal…period.)

Im used to watching JJ Watt and Suh wreck teams in the backfield in their bowl games. Or watching freak show Calvin Johnson make an unbelievable catch.

I just dont see it out of any of these guys.

2nd pick? For any of these EDGE guys…

Ekwonu is the best player at OG. Dominant. My opinion, but atleaat he is dominant at his position. Aside from that, id probably look at Stingley.

Full disclosure: i have not watched a lot of Evan Neal. My thoughts are he would be best suited as an OG.

Cmon…

You wanna tell me im wrong and go get f’ed…

Ok. Fine. Thats fine. Ill accept it. But im gonna atand by my opinion.

EDIT: I know id look at GW but i said but no…wouldnt take Garret Wilsom at 2

Best players for us at 2?

Ekwonu
Stingley
Neal (full disclosure i havent watched much but at OG i feel good)
Jordan Davis (love him, but yeah he seems like a man-child and that doesnt ever work out well)

I hope JAX take Hutch. He wont bust but…anyways…Hutch family has FL property…probably already written he is number 1 pick.

1 Like

If we use the same logic that you use an starting a rookie QB, then JJ is the perfect pick. Plug him in day 1 and reap immediate rewards while on the rookie contract. Based on age and floor, you’re getting him at peak performance sooner and longer in the rookie deal.

Not a fan of Johnson at #2. Feels like a big reach and I’m not sold on his transition to the pro game.

I’ve been wavering myself. Here’s how I see it.

Hutch is the pick at 2OA if he’s on the board.

If he’s gone then I think the Lions will look at it like this.

KT would be the pick at 2OA if the Lions brass feels comfortable with him. It’s that simple. If they don’t then they try a slight trade down.

JJ would be the next option because he’s a solid safe pick. I think that is important to this staff and I think that’s why they took Sewell last year over several other players.

If they can’t get the trade down and are forced to stay at 2OA then I think the waters are far more muddied. Do they take KT, Or a safer pick like Sauce or JJ?

I’m leaning towards JJ because I believe that Dan C. puts more stock into who is the best culture fit over who has the biggest upside. I also believe Holmes will lean towards JJ because he’s a safer pick.

I honestly think there is about a 50% chance that we could trade down and draft JJ, Sauce or other.

2 Likes

Hell of people talk about JJ at #2 hell you might as well wait and take Sam Williams . He did everything JJ has and is even faster. He has production. There very similar players.

1 Like

If we can trade down for anything close to fair value then we should. I feel that way even if Hutch is there at 2…

1 Like

I think JJ has the best highlight reel of all the top guys (I realize highlight reels are not scouting but still).

One thing I really like and I think it shows up on tape is his 10 yard split. He’s got the best one of all the top guys. Faster than KT.

2 Likes

Not sure I would necessarily qualify Sewell as a “safe” pick considering he took an entire year off, but I get the main point.

I’d still be disappointed with JJ. Im not a huge Hutch fan but I’d take him every time over JJ. Thibodeaux, too.

Just take sauce and be done with this

2 Likes

I still maintain that if KT has the highest grade of available players that Penei’s input will be the determining factor. Everything i have read suggests that Penei thinks highly of KT as a person and a teammate.

Sauce and then grabbing Cam Thomas later makes sense. Thomas fits that Cam Jordan role well.

If we opt for a smaller edge later i think DeAngelo Makone is a likely target.

The main difference of course being that QBs have much longer careers than edge players. I’d draft a 24 year old QB in a heartbeat because I’d be fairly confident we’d be getting at least ten years out of him (provided the pick hit).

Also no matter the pick at #2, whether he’s 24 or 20, he needs to be plugged into the starting lineup right away, and you should expect him to thrive. You don’t draft a guy that high to sit. For me that includes QBs, though I know others disagree and that’s a different argument.

Last year Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Surtain, Waddle, Parsons, Slater, etc… hit the ground running right away and a lot of those guys were really young entering the league. If they’re drafted that high, they should be great right away.

1 Like