Joique Bell defends Dan Campbell

Skip to about 5:36 if you just want to hear what he has to say about the Lions coaching situation

8 Likes

Great post and great insights. He isn’t going anywhere and these guys are playing hard. They need talent….a lot of talent……

I’ve read a lot here regarding this dismal season
I’ve read countless times now that ACDC is effectively a dunderhead
And Holmes is a clueless roster builder

First, it would be nice if 0-16-1 is avoided
That would not be a trust inspiring result

But …

It seems wrong to judge too harshly

• cap hell, primarily due to Stafford hit
  • depleted roster
  • WR cupboard left dry by Quinn
  • Slay/Diggs — Quinn/Patricia
  • extended injuries to your best players
  • NFL record FG by Tucker
  • personal record FG by whoever that kicker was

I’m sure there are other factors not listed above

This is perfect storm stuff

Campbell has not lost the team

Players are clearly being coached up — at least on defense

WR — their was no cap — not possible last year to get decent FA
WR — draft — why are people forgetting how bad the DL was last year? Clearly they decided to invest in the trenches first. Mixed results for sure, but they have improved. Last year that DL was limp. If they had drafted WR early, the complaint would be they did not address the DL

I think we all expect at least a legitimate #2 in FA this year. I think we all expect a WR with Rams pick or early in R2.

They will be better next year

Goff — he’s done himself no favours this year. But he will be here next year. They are stuck with him for one more year. He will do better next year — can’t be worse right?

Let’s not be surprised if they draft a QB somewhere this year, but that guy will carry a clipboard next year.

OC likely gone at end of season— next hire will be critical to DC success or failure

Next year?
Likely tough to get more than 5or6 wins
Is that fast enough for fans?
Probably not …

I think we have to let this thing play out.
DC seems like a solid HC
Defense seems to be going in right direction — development of secondary unbelievable
Hope we don’t lose Pleasant in offseason— the guy will get DC job somewhere some day

Anyway, I’m with Joique!!

8 Likes

AC/DC? …… great band … lol

But your going to the extreme.

I haven’t heard anyone say Holmes is a clueless roster builder. I’ve probably been the most vocal on Holmes and my only stance is 2 points 1) That he chose to strip the roster heavily in year one. I’m not a big supporter of this strategy. 2) That he did a poor job of addressing the WR position this season. This has been his biggest complaint by fans and has been pointed out by fans and media alike. Long before the season started people were pointing out this obvious concern. He’s made some questionable choices and fans have rightfully questioned them but I haven’t seen anyone call him clueless. Most are just voicing concerns in his decision making on that.

As for Dan …… it’s hard to defend him. He’s made countless game management errors and his team is winless. It takes incredibly bad coaching to go winless. Dan has received a ton of heat and he deserves it for fielding a winless team.

The team is winless and with that comes fans questioning decisions made.

That’s all your seeing here. It’s not wrong to to judge them for their results. I honestly don’t think fans are being that harsh with them. Most realize they had challenges but most also realize they’ve made a ton of mistakes along the way.

We have no choice on that front.

Yikes! …… I can’t get on board with that. He’s winless. The proof is in the results.

I like the Dan. I really would like to see him succeed but it’s obvious that he’s in over his head. He wasn’t ready or prepared to be a HC. He has made a ton of game management mistakes and his team is filled with mental errors that all fall back on coaching. He has not been solid. He’s been a train wreck.

Fortunately he’s managed to keep the team bought in and playing hard. Hopefully he doesn’t lose the locker room because if he does then he’s done.

It’s obvious he has a lot to learn as a HC. He has admitted this and pointed it out every week. He’s admitted some of his mistakes and hopefully won’t repeat them.

He may develop into a solid HC at some point but he’s not there right now. He clearly wasn’t ready to be HC and we’re going to have to suffer as he learns how to be one.

At this point in time I worry he’s not going to make it and fans are going to have to suffer through that process once again. The outlook doesn’t look good. He’s going to need to make some seriously quick strides in order to survive. He’s going to have to start winning some football games or he’s going to lose his remaining supporters, fans, players and staff. Can he do that?…. Time will tell. But make no mistake he’s on the hot seat.

I was with you up until this point.

5 or 6 wins in the absence of the perfect storm of injuries is simply insufficient.

The point of a teardown year is to accelerate success. I’ve used the phrase “ripping off the bandage” too many times already, but it’s the best analogy.

Holmbell gets a free pass for 2020 because they made the strategic decision to purge the roster and take all of the cap pain in one year. Fine. There really wasn’t a ton of other good choices.

However, that leeway doesn’t then extend into year two, because the whole point of making this year the bad year was so that money could be spent and success had earlier. Next year should have a huge injection of talent, plus a bunch of depth pieces that got playing time this year.

If the 2022 Lions don’t produce a .500-ish season with a clear upward trajectory, that’s probably a sign that this regime isn’t the right one, either.

3 Likes

Holmes purged the roster all at once as you say, but with bringing Goff and his contract he just put us right back in cap hell, if we get rid of him next year we’re back to 30 million in dead cap to cut him I think. His play resembles more of a vet min salary. So we purged all the dead cap just to be in same position because of bringing Goff and his blouted contract . MCDC had no chance with Holmes in charge.

I feel like some people here never got the memo that the lions were gonna suck more than normal this year

5 Likes

I’m okay with 7-10 next year. That’s the baseline for me.

Fair enough — .500+ next year :+1:

Goff will never play up to his contract
But
He should be serviceable next year with better WR talent
(Hope is what we have no choice but to have)

Wait until the Rams do little this year and even less next year
And
The Lions start making noise by 2023
The trade should look better by then

Goff is a decent enough bridge QB
(another statement based on hope)

1 Like

Good to have you aboard brother

1 Like

7-10 wouldn’t be the worst that could happen

Lions have to do well with their FA signings
And do better than … I dunno, 80% of other teams in draft to get above .500 next year

A lot of good adds needed to have a good 2022 — not impossible, not an easy ask

Love Bell!

This is why so many here do not have it right…. Listen to a player, not just a fan, to get it right!!

FYI - There we’re a ton of players who came forward to support Matt P. too.

Just saying.

1 Like

What does that have to do with this?

Apples to rotten oranges….

Keep picking to pick

Still love you brother!!

Anybody else feel like Joique was spot on here?

You can always criticize coaching decisions, but I don’t think our main issue is coaching. I agree with him that the players, largely, are in position to make a play. We have talent issues. I think we had talent issues under Patricia to be fair, but we also had massive coaching and lockerroom issues with overly complicated schemes and bad messaging.

3 Likes

I thought we settled on Bran.

Can we also talk about the other participants in their Collabhoration?

I definitely agree. I think the defensive staff has been outstanding. I may look at replacing Todd Wash as I have not been overly impressed with the D-Line, but that is probably it. I believe we may need to look in to replacing not just Lynn, but Brunell, and Randel El as well because I am not seeing any tangible progress with their position groups. I understand the talent they are working with, but look at what Pleasant is doing with talent just as bad.

I am very pleased with the staff overall and am excited to see what they can do with more talent.

2 Likes

Yep! Bell is Da Bomb!!

I have said already: winless fucking sucks…. But there’s a lot more to it than that….

DC is doing things right, adjusting as he think he needs to, admitting when he is wrong at times and you know is heart is totally in it and the players play as best they can…. It’s progress not perfection!

We are successfully tanking. Sucks now, but the result is increased leverage in an important draft for the franchise.

Yes, creaky back Pick Sixford would have won 2-3 games for us by now. Yippee.

1 Like