Jordan Davis at 2?

And I was listening to a The Valenti Show segment last week where Rico made the case for taking Jordan Davis second overall. He was pretty persuasive, at least for several guys in the room.

I am not super jazzed about taking a DL that doesn’t rush the passer that high in the draft. But if Hutchinson is gone, and we’re going to draft an athletic freak whose pass rush game will need to develop as a pro, I like Davis more than Walker—even if he never really penetrates, nobody will run on us, ever, and he’ll consistently suck up blockers.

So what does the board think? Is this insanity?

3 Likes

I don’t think any scenario is insanity because it’s a shitty year to have the #2 pick. It seems like the bust factor or not living up to the status of a #2 pick is high on all these guys. I literally don’t like any guy in this draft at 2 and I can’t remember any draft that just lacks elite talent like this one does. I think we are going edge rusher but honestly nothing would surprise me.

All I know is this. The slappies are going to love any pick we make and instantly put him in the HOF. For everyone else there isn’t going to be a consensus of love for who ever we pick.

4 Likes

I don’t understand why Davis is seen as a non-penetrating defender by some people. He constantly moves the LS and makes plays or reroutes the entire play. He is often double and triple teamed while doing it. When you are watching other Georgia players making plays Davis is often the catalyst for that play by changing the run lane or collapsing the pocket. The guy can ball at a high level.

7 Likes

So wouldn’t it be just right for Davis and walker to go top two…?!

The fans would be in suicide alert!!

1 Like

I am warming up to Davis at 2, this guy will not only have a direct impact making plays, but will make our LB corp look that much better. I am not high on Thibs, so if Hutch is gone at 2, I would be OK with Davis at 2 if Holmes and DC think they can him penetrating on pass plays more. What I wouldn’t want is Davis at 2 if they plan on only using him for running downs.

2 Likes

The question with davis is how often will he be on the field and will he focus on getting/keeping his body right. His time at georgia isnt all that reassuring on these questions

4 Likes

I mean it’s not happening because of the faith we have in McNeill and Onwuzurike.

2 Likes

Oh my. I suppose that would increase Sunday attendance at church.

12 Likes

I believe they will be continuing to use 3 interior guys on the field quite a bit so levi mcneill and davis is not a bad trio but i think it only happens if they believe in davis being disciplined and focused on getting his body right.

1 Like

That’s why you don’t draft Aaron Donald when you have Suh, you grab the TE at a position of need instead.

7 Likes

I just came from mass and at times I felt like rushing the pastor too. Long winded ceremony. Definitely a quality skillset to have.

I like Davis better than Walker as a player. I like Walker better as a long term prospect. I’d take the proven player over the prospect personally. The problem with Davis is conditioning. He’s not an every play player and at 2OA you can’t take someone like that.

He’s a stud run defender and anyone who can clog up the LOS like that is real valuable in short yardage and goal line situations.

2 Likes

I think his first name is actually “Big” given that highlight package and the repeated “Big Jordan Davis…” references from the announcer(s).

Who cares if he only plays 1st and 2nd downs if its 3rd and long. His pick would finish off the interior dline for years

3 Likes

Oh no, and on Easter too! Public service announcement: please do not rush your pastor.

4 Likes

He is the man child. If you are wanting to stop teams in the middle of the field you take him. He will only elevate McNeil, and Onzu in the middle. To much to worry about with Davis in there. He has become my 2OA.
I think of Haynesworth (possibilities) when I think of Jordan Davis

4 Likes

Having mcneil to push him in the weight room is also a positive to drafting him.

2 Likes

Gonna be single for a long time.

I completely agree. He makes every single one of our pass rushers bette and requires a double team on every play. I would be really happy if we somehow landed him.

yup - dude is an agent of Chaos, and a true disruptor. Your offense has to adjust to it, and he absolute does make all DBs, LBs and pass rushers better.

We still need a DT, unless you think Brockers is the long term answer and also love our depth (which I dont’ think any of us do).

Davis would increase Sunday attendance in the hospital for division rivals, bruh! :wink:

Perfectly stated.

Wooooord!

1 Like

I’d be all in on that pick too.

Unless you choose abstinence :crazy_face::heart::pray::upside_down_face::+1::flushed: