Jordan Reid ESPN Mock Draft

The whole thing sits behind a paywall, but we walk out with Bresee and Bijan. First corner is Kelee Ringo at 20 to Tampa.

If I’m allowed, I’ll post the snippets under each player for us to show his reasoning.

1 Like

We need DBs if the 1st cb is taken at 20th ill grab a screaming pillow

They didn’t have us picking 31st so the whole thing is suspect.

11 Likes

I was quite happy seeing this and would love it if it played out like that… 2 more immediate starters, and then I noticed that the Fudge Packers picked after us which would mean something didn’t go according to plan Sunday night… and realised that fiction begets fiction… touche.

I could be talked into that combo real easily

2 Likes

Breese is no immediate starter. He is more like Levi.

3 Likes

Brother Marty……

The fact that we have Okudah- 23, Jacobs- 25, Iffy- 23, Kerby- 22, Walker- 27…. As our current carryovers for 23-24’ in the defensive backfield is an indication we need both TALENT… and EXPERIENCE back there.

I could be wrong, but I’m starting to wonder how “elite” this CB class is, vs being really solid and “deep.”

We shall see, as it’s possible that 3 go in the top 15, or none in the top 15…. A lot of sites have Porter, Smith, and Gonzalez as later first, early 2nd rounders. I’ve seen Ringobanywhere from #4-18….

That said- give me Jamel Dean and Von Bell or Adrian Amos-

1 Like

Grinch Smile GIF

4 Likes

The more I watch the more I would prefer a corner (insert your favorite) and branch combo.

6 Likes

I’m definitely struggling with this crop of DTs. I think I’ve been spoiled by Suh and Fairley.

3 Likes

I’m coming around on this. It’s clear from the Will Harris and Iffy shuffling that this staff wants a big weapon in the secondary they can move around. I think Branch fits that mold.

5 Likes

I’m starting to worry Branch might not be there when we make our own pick. 12 tackles, 2 for loss, an INT and a fumble recovery, the guy went out with a bang. He has 14 tackles for loss on the year which is a crazy number for a safety. Only 3 less than Will Anderson.

3 Likes

First mock I’ve seen that gives us a DT, CB, OG and S in that order in the first 2 rounds. Finally, someone gets it.

1 Like

No TE? No QB?

Rubbish.

It’s early.

Great post! Agree…. It’s thoughts like this that inspired my “23’ Dream Draft” thread….

We are becoming a hot chick at the bar pretty quick under Holmes and MCDC… and thus landing a few key free agents won’t be quite the task it once was….

Here is how I think Brad will handle….

1. Sort out our own guys… keep many but don’t overpay based on nepotism.

2. Land 2-3 new starters with outside FAs

3. Draft smart… and I’m not sure Holmes knows any other way… lol

WR- with ASB and Jamo having 2 and 4 years respectively, and Raymond and Reynolds with 1 year each, we are okay but not ideal without Chark…. There isn’t a single outside WR I’d pay in lieu of keeping the band together. If Chark was intent on a huge payday after a 480 yards 3 td year, then I’d consider drafting a WR pretty high as I really like 4-5 of the options.

RB- I love, love our offense with HEALTHY Swift, and Swaggy…. Swaggy is going to be coming off a 1,000 yard and 15-16 td season…. Despite being a 28 yr old RB, he may choose to get paid…. It’s hard not to believe this will be his career year, and if we win 1-2 playoff games, I’m good overpaying a key cog to that wheel. However… if we miss the playoffs we can’t pay 5M plus a year to a 28 year old rotational back. I hope the explosive FA backs and deep draft will drive his price down.

RG- we paid 10M to a guy who has missed HALF his possible lions starts…. He’s got a bad back and is 30… behind him we’ve had some decent spot play from various fill ins. I think a single 2nd round picks give us a 1.4M APY four year solution.

CB- I would differ from many that want to go CB heavy in the draft. It’s a high bust rate, slow developing position that is really tough for most rookies. Show me the guy with Sauces tape, or even Stingleys, and I’m in, but I don’t see that guy. I’m okay using a 2nd or 3rd ideally, but if the right guy landed at OUR first rounder, sure…… with guys like Jamel Dean, Bradberry, M Peters, Byron Murphy, and Cam Sutton available before the draft…. I’d like to secure a veteran starter opposite Okudah, and let a day 2 rookie fight through Jacobs for snaps.

S- T Walker was a team guy, a captain. His Achilles may or may not put his career in question at 28…. Joseph is a stud and will get better…. I don’t like what D Elliott may want comp wise after this year, if you combine that with his injury history (college and pro).
I’d hate to have 14-18M APY between Walker and Elliott for 2 guys who might not combine for 17 starts next year? A healthy Elliot has shown us we need a sure tackling SS to run this defense. Guys like Von Bell and Adrian Amos are tailored to our need.

DT- I love Alim, like the value we will likely get Buggs for, and I’d tender Benito. I have slim hopes for Levi, but at least I still have hope. It’s a nice DT UFA class, and there are some nice varied flavors in the draft.

LB- I’d love to see us retain AA, let Barnes and Rodrigo develop, and add one bigger bodied LB in the draft…

Edge- it’s all tied to Romeo, Harris, and the 2023 scheme. If we are staying with Glenn and staying 4-2-5 then Okwara may be decent value at 7M (that is amount above the dead cap) or C Harris if we intend to run more 3-4 at an additional 3-4…. If we cut BOTH- then we have money to sign Hargrave or D Payne, and thus we could draft and edge like T Wilson or Murphy. I just hate letting Commish walk, and I can’t see taking a bunch of snaps from Commish, Paschal, Hutch, and Houston…. I’d avoid a DE because I want the 2,000 s apps next year divided mostly by those 4…

Yet another mock has us going DT and CB in the first.

AND yet another one has us going CB and DT in the first.

You like Bresee at 6, do ya?

No, I like that the guys who had us raking a QB and a TE in the first are finally recognizing the positional needs. I would assume that if Carter is gone we either go CB and then DT, like the last draft OR we trade out but still target those needs.