Jordan Schultz says Saints may trade up

This is one of the reasons I love this board… so much in-depth knowledge! Great input on the fifth year options, thank you.

So, let’s play it out, and say we have these 5 players, 3 of which are first rounders and two of which are second rounders. If we are in the position where we want to keep ALL 5 into year 5, that is amazing. It probably won’t happen, just based on probability.

But at that point, I’d still be happy, even if we lost one or two of them. You need to make the cap work through longer term deals or trade someone. But man… when were the Lions EVER in that sort of situation (or something similar)?

I know we lost Suh partially due to crappy cap management, but I can never, ever remember struggling to sign guys because we drafted too many good players. A guy can dream of these problems…

2 Likes

Jags aren’t traded down though.

Mostly I was just pointing out that things have changed. Because I knew exactly where you were coming from, but the new CBA made a massive change in how it calculates the 5th year. Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray were 1st overall picks 1 year apart. But Kyler Murray’s 5th year option is $11M more than Baker’s and around $7M more than Lamar Jackson’s.

2 Likes

Itd a big change…and makes me wobbly about Hock

1 Like

Contact Jesse or WW, if possible…Could be a bad batch, but they normally have +96% purity…

Badfinger - Baby Blue (Breaking Bad Soundtrack) (HQ) 1080p - YouTube

4 Likes

I wonder how many times Mahomes, D Watson, A Rodgers, R Staley, A Donald, J Simmons, TJ Watt, J Jefferson, D Hopkins, D Adams, J Taylor, D Henry, T White, D Leonard, Chandler Jones, Tony Gonzalez, Gronk, Todd Gurley type guys will go between #10 and #45 before fans realize there is very little difference between picking at #2 or #3 vs #12- #15

I posted the listed for the last 10 consecutive #2 overall and #3 overall picks…

Trent Richardson or RG 3 in 12’
Luke Joeckyl or Dion Jordan in 13’
Greg Robinson or B Bortles in 14’
Mariota or Dante Fowler in 15’
Wentz or Bosa in 16’
Trubiskly or Solomon Thomas in 17’
Barkley or Darnold in 18’
Nick Bosa and Q Williams in 19’
Young and Okudah in 20’
Z Wilson or Trey Lance in 21’…

That list is GOD AWFUL!!! Bosa x 2… maybe C Young or Q Williams? Maybe? I have been blown away by Young, and I would hardly call Williams a franchise cornerstone…

How about 6 straight BUSTS at QB with Wilson and Lance yet to be determined?

Yet at #12 or #13 you see names like A Donald, OBJ, T Whirfs, M Parson, R Slater, L Tunsil, F Cox, etc…
I have been saying this all offseason…

#16 Devin Lloyd captain of our defense the next 10 years…
#19 Treylon Burks or D London- bully at WR with big time RAC skills
#32 Boye Mafe we get our Edge with a power/speed guy who can rotate in d
#34 Breece Hall - I want a 1,300 plus yard rusher behind that OL- TD machine
#49 Nick Cross- I can’t see him falling with his RAS and production at his size at SS
#66 Logan Hall or Zachary Cater- 6’6" 285 guys who are proto-type 3-4 DEs (5 tech) 4-5 sacks guys
#97 Jelani Woods freak athlete and red zone dream at TE to spell Hock or 2 TE sets…

Then we are in position to look QB, CB, RG in 23’… or if Goff pans out like I expect him to with a team around him… adding London, B Hall and J Woods and Chark would be HUGE…

If we don’t need QB the we can just get creative

5 Likes

Yes, yes and yes. The Saints are known to be aggressive with filling needs in the draft.

IF you believe you need a QB you KNOW the Jags ain’t taking one. The Lions however are a mystery. Likely to be happy with Goff BUT…yes, the pick is likely to be available. To me a team needs to land above the Texans IF they want their choice of QBs. The Texans currently roster Davis Mills and Kyle Allen. Yikes! Mills was a 3rd rd. guy in 2021 so maybe there is hope there for the Texans? The Jets and Giants are likely set at QB…but then the Panthers sit there at #6.

I believe there is a very, very real chance the Saints are looking at life post-Brees. Winston is signed through 2023 and they also signed Andy Dalton. That defense is pretty good overall and allowing Willis (the guy I believe they would target) would be pretty smart. Ballsy for sure. Let the rookie sit behind Dalton and Winston and see what you got. And if their rookie is better than those two…play the rookie!

I echo what I see here. Yes, trade down for #16 and #19. Get a WR and a LBer and see what pick #32 yields.

3 Likes

A trade down with the saints would be an amazing move for the Lions especially if Lloyd, London, or Johnson are there.

If Holmes doesn’t want Willis, I’d be 100% behind that trade too.

all good points… Bottom line there is 100% a trade there if we want it… but I doubt we have to move all the way down to the Saints… Frankly I would MUCH… MUCH prefer to trade down to any of these potential scenarios…

Jets #4 and #38
Giants #5 and #36
Panthers #6 and (2023 1st rounder)
Atlanta #8 and #43 and #74
Seattle #9 and #41 and #72

4 Likes

If we go down to 16 I hope we then try and go back up I think it could be done. There supposedly are a lot of teams interested in moving back.

Could we go down to 16 and 18 and then back up to 6 and still get an elite guy plus have extracted some draft capital? I think it’s possible if we can moved down in the first place. That will be the tough part.

3 Likes

16 would scare me too… Lloyd, Sauce, J Johnson, London, Walker are all guys I really like… I know you aren’t a B Hall fan, but simply adding a high 2nd and getting a potential bell cow would be awesome for this offense. Hell even a Zion Johnson which would allow us to easily move on from Big V next year and use that 8-10M on an elite defender.

There are too many solid SS, LBs, OG, RBs, WRs likely to be there atop round 2 to miss taking an extra player simply to take Thibz… I would take Lloyd and Mafe for our front 7 all day

No worries going to 16 in this draft. 4-5 picks in top 36? You get a lb, dt, wr, s and maybe a de by then. All starting caliber.

Spot on. Great post. The difference in talent at the nfl level is very subtle. It often comes down to work ethic, instincts and technique. The advance in strength and conditioning over the last 20 years has evened the playing field a bit. You don’t see the big difference in athleticism that you used to because of how hard all these guys train.

1 Like

Mostly. But then you have your unicorns. You have your game wreckers. If you can get three or four of those then you’ve got a shot to go all the way.

This entire line of New Orleans moving up to 2 makes ZERO sense.

If they wanted to move up, why not just trade the stuff they traded to Philly. New Orleans has LESS “draft capital” than they did prior to the trade with Philly.

They have way more 2022 capital

1 Like

All of those cats can run a 4.4 and bench press a Volkswagen. That’s why coaching is SO important.

1 Like

Depends on the unicorn. Aaron Donald is a perfect example. With him the rams are a top ten defense. Without him that same defense is bottom of the league. That’s the super unicorn effect.

1 Like

I don’t think they’d be bottom of the league but point taken. I was thinking about the Rams though. They have four elite to Uber elite guys at four important spots. We have none. I think we need to gamble for some upside. :man_shrugging:

1 Like