Josh Reynolds - The Silent Beast

Solid #3 wr on a very good team. Can be a 2.

No mystery. Josh was just lower on the totem pole there. For example, the 2018 Rams had Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Gurley and a young Kupp and Higbee. That’s a lot of talented mouths to feed.

What changed? Reynolds got better, especially relative to the receiving talent Jared had and has to throw to. When he first joined the Lions almost two years ago he was instantly their best receiver - until ARSB came on latter that season. He’s the Lions’ 2nd or 3rd-best pass catcher at any position right now. W/the Rams he was never better than 4th and as low as 6th.

2 Likes

I think Josh is definitely under appreciated by most Lions fans. He’s a very solid number 3 WR. A solid depth player at a position we’re weak at.

Funny thing was Brad didn’t go after Josh until the two other guys he paid to be our starters didn’t work out and TEN cut Josh.

Supposedly it was Goff who convinced Brad to bring him in after Ten cut him. Josh had 600 + yards in 2020 LA which is more than anything he’s done here.

Personally I think Josh deserves more snaps and playing time.

6 Likes

Here’s where I’m at with Reynolds. He’s in that category with ARSB, Kalif and soon to be LaPorta. Drop a pass, I don’t blink. Even said that in the game thread today when he did. Dependable, I don’t worry about him. Very glad he’s on the team.

4 Likes

not to hijack but rather piggyback–but Craig Reynolds has been pretty good to.

3 Likes

Not sure why this surprises anyone at this point.
We started winning after getting him in 21, and the offense struggled when he was injured in 22.
He’s been Goff’s security blanket since the day he got here.

5 Likes

That Craig Reynolds drive was beautiful.

I also see they brought Teddy out for a few snaps at the end of the game.

4 Likes

In reply to quotes above:

Chemistry super important between QB and receiver. Sounds obvious but Goff has that trust and knows JR’s body language thru past history and thru forced playing time due to the WR carousel in Detroit. It’s a good problem to have. It’s also why perhaps working Jamo (and even Gibbs) back into the receiving lineup might take a bit of time.

Brad apparently listens and moves on from mistakes quickly while leaving no stone unturned to improve a roster which is actually a positive. Goff would indeed have had that prior chemistry in LA as reference to make the suggestion.

2 Likes

Aaron Rodgers talked about his relationship with Davante Adams, and how it grew. He said a turning point is when he grew enough trust in Adams that he was willing to stay on Adams as the read a little longer before moving on in the progression, trusting that he would win his route. JT O’Sullivan pointed this out in the Chiefs game. On a key 3rd down Jared held his read on Josh for a little extra time, knowing he was going to get blasted by a defender. Josh rewarded him by getting into position to make the 1st down catch. What many fans remember is Sun God running free downfield on the same play. But it was the trust in Josh that was the takeaway for JT.

2 Likes

Maybe a lil less trust and a lil more throw to the wide open guy down the field for a TD

2 Likes

10th catch of 20+ yards:

1 Like

One of my favorite parts of yesterday’s game was when Craig Reynolds finally barreled in for the touchdown and during the celebration, Josh looked to the camera and exclaimed with pure joy, “that’s my brother!”

7 Likes

Prior to the 2021 season I had a debate about the Lions getting Josh in free agency. I was for getting Josh while others were heavily against it because they believed he couldn’t run a complete route tree and wasn’t a deep enough of a threat. There were many who didn’t want Josh because they didn’t view Josh as a deep threat and still don’t think he is. They look at his 4.52 forty speed and declare he’s a limited route runner but he’s proven since he entered the league that he can be a threat on the deeper route tree.

If many of you recall when Goff first got here he wasn’t taking shots down field. He seemed broken in that dept but I think it was trust in his OL and his receivers that needed to develop. I believe Josh is a large part of that development for Goff. Once Josh arrived on the roster Goff started taking shots down field and the offense took off shortly afterwards.

I pointed out then …. Forty speed is not what makes a receiver a deep threat. I wonder if those posters see it now?

2 Likes

Yeah - the Rams guy isn’t very high n him at all.
Its guys like this that make this team. No one has his jersey, he’s not a big draw on interviews or hard knocks, he just makes catches when he needs to. When Goff threw that TD pass to him, I thought it was an overthrow by Goff. The toe tap on that catch was a thing of beauty.

3 Likes

Reynolds is honestly cooking a 1000 yard plus season rn as the way things are going, and many view him as WR3

that aint WR3 numbers, thats WR2 numbers lol

2 Likes

Yes, you did.

I wasn’t against his signing, but didn’t think he was a deep threat. Glad to be proven wrong.

And, quite frankly, he’s proven to be a fairly high quality starting WR too. :wink:

3 Likes

Reynolds and Raymond are what I call the Silent Assassins. We keep trying to replace them and they just keep ballin’ out.

4 Likes
1 Like

Mlive getting content from the board

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.