Just A Dom Capers Thought

Every where the guy went, he had success with the Defense.
Did AG feel want free rein and force Capers out?

1 Like

The articles suggest it was to help out Denver’s new DC with whom he previously had a relationship in Green Bay:

Capers was hired by the Lions in 2021 to help a young set of coaches get their footing. He had actually coached Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn as a player back with the Houston Texans but was brought along to help Glenn—a first-time defensive coordinator— and Dan Campbell—a first-time head coach—navigate a tough, new year.

This has more-or-less been Capers’ job over the past three years. After a nine-year stint as the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator, Capers served as a one-year senior defensive assistant for the Jaguars (2019), Vikings (2020), and now the Lions (2021).

Moving to Denver, Capers will have the responsibility of overseeing another first-time defensive coordinator. Ejiro Evero is expected to be named the Broncos’ next defensive coordinator under new head coach Nathaniel Hackett. Evero served as a defensive assistant for the Packers under Capers, so there is an established relationship there.

No comment on the free reign thought. That would take inside knowledge. Connecting the dots here though beyond that, without Capers it all makes sense why the Lions are worse on Defense. Glen is not a coordinator worthy individual. I wonder how many of the assistant coaches can teach anything at all either. Dline coach sure doesn’t seem like a good one.

1 Like

Please bring in Vic fangio as a “consultant “!

1 Like

It does seem to be very interesting that we lost a former head coach with decades of experience running defenses and now we can’t stop anyone despite adding Hutch 2nd overall. AG was a first year DC last year, perhaps Capers was holding his hand. I really hope this is not the case.

Believe it or not, Todd Wash the D-line coach led 2 top 5 defenses in 2017 and 2018, so I really don’t know what to believe. He was the D-Cord in Jax for 5 years.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.